PDA

View Full Version : It sounded good in me mind

JJC
09-05-2010, 11:38 PM
So I was thinking how to clean up annealed gas checks. I came up with putting them in a bag with some media and putting back in the tumbler. 45 min later I pulled out a bag covered in corn from static electricity and had to pick them out a few at a time and they looked the same. Well atleast my curiocity is satisfied.

Jim Sheldon
09-06-2010, 06:56 AM
So I was thinking how to clean up annealed gas checks. I came up with putting them in a bag with some media and putting back in the tumbler. 45 min later I pulled out a bag covered in corn from static electricity and had to pick them out a few at a time and they looked the same. Well at least my curiocity is satisfied.

I'd think you would have to leave them loose in the tumbler for a couple hours at least to do any good. They don't get enough action against the media or themselves in a baggie. Throw a used anti-static dryer sheet in the tumbler with them. It'll help kill the static and also grab a lot of the crud out of your media.

Now, separating the media and gas checks after you get done might be a little more difficult than getting them corncobs or walnut shells off the brass - ;)

I haven't tried it on GC's yet, but I usually leave my brass tumbling for 3 or 4 hours if I want it shiny. The dryer sheet helps extend the media life quite a bit.

Jim

imashooter2
09-06-2010, 09:08 AM
20 minutes in a 50/50 water vinegar solution should clean them up. Rinse well after.

Or you could ignore it.

dragonrider
09-06-2010, 09:53 AM
"Or you could ignore it."

+1 on that, why bother?? I should mention that I do not anneal GC's as I can see no benifit in doing so. If I have some that I can't get on I will remove the gc shank from that mold.

JJC
09-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Yup picking them out is why I tried the bag. I will try the water/ vinegar. but for now they were rinced of in hot water and dried, busy work I must say. My GC shank is a bit small and annealing them helps that's my reason for doing so. Thanks for the input John

Doc Highwall
09-06-2010, 01:10 PM
After I annealed mine I dropped them in my Lemi-Shine solution that is used for cleaning cases, just make sure that they do not fall through the holes of the inner bucket.

mold maker
09-06-2010, 02:50 PM
The plastic baggy created the static attraction and caused the problem. Get a colander from Wally World that the media will pass through and sift the checks out.
+1 on the used drier sheet. It does help keep the media clean and adds just a tiny bit of wax that keeps the tumbled copper and brass shiny longer.