PDA

View Full Version : 44 Super RedHawk

donjose
09-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Well new to me.
Did a little trading today with the inlaw and picked this dude up!!
I think its time to Dance

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a451/donjoseone/2.jpg

Jason

HammerMTB
09-05-2010, 10:22 PM
I have one, too, a 9-1/2" bbl. That looks like what you have too.
I put a 1.5-4X scope on it, as my old eyes don't much like opens anymore.
I love the gun! It will cut some nice little cloverleafs if I do my part. It will shoot the hottest loads you'd care to put in it and come back for more. I tend to think of it as a rifle without a stock, as it's about that heavy, and it recoils back not up.
I've given some thought to shortening the bbl, but as long as I keep that big scope on it, it may as well have the bbl length too.
Whatcha gonna do with oyurs? I think I'll take mine hunting this year. A buck, maybe a bear too..... :bigsmyl2:

donjose
09-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Yea I will go hunting this year with this gun.In the morning I am going to completely take her down and give a good cleaning.I noticed a little spot on the bottom of the barrel that looks like some small rust is forming seems to look like he hit the barrel on something and scratched it ,so I am wondering what to use to clean up that up with?Other than that she look good.He said he only shot a few boxes through the gun I figure the scratches came from him resting the gun on something hard.[smilie=6:

Jason

maddog2020
09-05-2010, 11:21 PM
got one just like it 44mag with Bushnell centurion scope
also have 7 1/2" gray version in 454 with Nikon scope
both will hit bowling pins easy at 100 yrds

RobS
09-06-2010, 01:17 AM
A big bore for you, and your fun content has just been raised another notch :)

Tom W.
09-06-2010, 03:04 AM
I have the 7 1/2" and it likes big heavy boolits... but shoots anything well! You'll love it!

Lloyd Smale
09-06-2010, 08:15 AM
I had one and didnt really care for the look or feel but thats just me. I was an unbelievably good shooter as were the other ones ive shot. Ive shot groups at a 100 yards that if i put in print the size i would be called a lier.

jwp475
09-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I had one and didnt really care for the look or feel but thats just me. I was an unbelievably good shooter as were the other ones ive shot. Ive shot groups at a 100 yards that if i put in print the size i would be called a lier.

Post a picture, seeing is believing for many

44man
09-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Yea I will go hunting this year with this gun.In the morning I am going to completely take her down and give a good cleaning.I noticed a little spot on the bottom of the barrel that looks like some small rust is forming seems to look like he hit the barrel on something and scratched it ,so I am wondering what to use to clean up that up with?Other than that she look good.He said he only shot a few boxes through the gun I figure the scratches came from him resting the gun on something hard.[smilie=6:

Jason
Scotch-Brite on stainless. Never use steel wool. Rub the same direction as the original finish and even scratches will go away.

sixshot
09-06-2010, 11:38 AM
The SRH is a fantastic hunting gun, I took one elk & a few deer with mine. It was very accurate & one of only a few guns I ever scoped, after fire lapping the barrel it shot like a rifle.
Its a heavy gun (I like that) & will handle extremely hot loads with big bullets if needed. Ruger over built them, like most all Rugers & they are very durable, you picked a winner. The 250 gr Keith over 21 grs of 2400 worked for me, also the 310 gr LBT over 21.5 grs of H110 shot terrific!

Dick

donjose
09-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys I am also looking at a FA 454 that is priced right as well.I sold a few of my rifles this year and decided to get into hand gunning and boolit casting.I am wanting to do a season of coyote hunting with a six gun only.And this should be a real challenge, but fun :)Lloyd you are right she sure is ugly looking compared to a Super Blackhawk.

Jason

RobS
09-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Very cool...........A Freedom Arms will be a great revolver no doubt; I've yet to read anything bad about them. BFR makes a 454 Casull and they are nice firearms as well. BFR's do have a bit faster of a twist rate which may have an influence to your decisions, depending on what you are planning on doing.

donjose
09-06-2010, 01:17 PM
260 and 300 are what I would like to work on in the 454 as well as the 44.Maybe some 320 in the 454 as well.I was told recoil of the 454 from the weight of the boolit it shoots is a price to pay!And with that recoil should just step up to a 475 and have a heavier boolit.Maybe when I get these two worked out I might just do that.As far as twist in the FA gun what would be the heavist boolit I could shoot?

Jason

donjose
09-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Well she is tore down sure was dirty I still have to clean the cylinder and trigger assembly but all looks good noticed the wood on one side of the grip is cracked so I guess later I will get on the web and order the new style Houge grip.Sorry about the photos but for some reason when I send them picture mail they look horrible I guess after I finish spending money on six guns I will get a better camera:bigsmyl2:

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a451/donjoseone/3.jpg

Jason

Blammer
09-06-2010, 05:17 PM
I think ya got a winner!

Here is mine with a simmons pro hunter 2-6. It's clean now. I have it a bit dirty currently. :)
Mine's the 7.5" brl

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/ruger/DSCN6452.jpg
Here are some of the boolits it likes. :)
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/44list-1.jpg

and here's a target!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/44SRH_250gr3crimp19gr2400.jpg

donjose
09-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Nice I think I just soiled my drawers...
I like like those boolits.

Jason

TCLouis
09-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Unlike most folks I love the factory grips on this and the GP100, but the Hogues are even better!

Mine will not allow the Lee C429-310 to be seated in the bottom crimp groove, cylinder is more than long enough, but the throat on the cylinder engages the boolit.

That said, top crimp groove and some I have heard say 18.5 H110. You can use more or less, but mine liked 18.5 grains the best.

With mine one can tell when it is an accurate load as there will be 5 and 1 group. One chamber is about 1-1.5 inches off (depending on range) from the others when it is an accurate load, otherwise it just gets mixed in and one assumes 1.75 2.5 is a good grouping.

Oh as others have said it is a very accurate revolver.

I had a small patch in the barrel that would lead some when I first got it, but about 50 rounds of fire lapping took care of that (I use a VERY mild abrasive or 50 rounds might be too much).

I hate to say it, but right now it is set up with the Hornady 300 grain coated things.

44man
09-07-2010, 09:08 AM
A little loading expertise will show how great the SRH is. Here are some cans I shot. The left was 2 off hand shots from my Swede 6.5X55 at 100 yards. The middle can was 200 yards from my SRH, I shot some 2" groups at 200. The right is 2 shots at 100 from my BFR .475.
Every SRH .44 I had here would do 1/2" at 50 yards.

hoosierlogger
09-07-2010, 07:30 PM
I've given some thought to shortening the bbl, but as long as I keep that big scope on it, it may as well have the bbl length too.

I have one with the 7 1/2" bbl. I wanted the longer bbl, but I am not going to send it off to Ruger to get a longer one put on it. In the hunt for a scope to perch on top. Hopefully will kill a big buck this year with it.

44man
09-09-2010, 09:54 AM
I have one with the 7 1/2" bbl. I wanted the longer bbl, but I am not going to send it off to Ruger to get a longer one put on it. In the hunt for a scope to perch on top. Hopefully will kill a big buck this year with it.
Put an Ultra Dot on it and you can't go wrong.
The 7-1/2" is just as accurate as a 10". You give up nothing!

hoosierlogger
09-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Put an Ultra Dot on it and you can't go wrong.
The 7-1/2" is just as accurate as a 10". You give up nothing!

Trust me I really wanted to go with an ultra dot, but money was the limiting factor. So I decided to settle for a lesser red dot. I couldnt find one from Cabelas that took 25mm rings. (I had a bunch of Cabelas points to use) I bought a Simmons 2X6 power scope and plan on leaving it on the 2X setting. Cabelas has a crappy hand gun selection by the way.

That should get me by for now.

44man
09-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Trust me I really wanted to go with an ultra dot, but money was the limiting factor. So I decided to settle for a lesser red dot. I couldnt find one from Cabelas that took 25mm rings. (I had a bunch of Cabelas points to use) I bought a Simmons 2X6 power scope and plan on leaving it on the 2X setting. Cabelas has a crappy hand gun selection by the way.

That should get me by for now.
Ruger will swap to 30mm rings for you. Ultra Dot also has 1" red dots.
You are OK unless you hunt in dim light.
Let us know how your gun shoots. I am sure you will love it.

hoosierlogger
09-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Ruger will swap to 30mm rings for you. Ultra Dot also has 1" red dots.
You are OK unless you hunt in dim light.
Let us know how your gun shoots. I am sure you will love it.

I called Ruger and since I didnt buy the gun new, and the rings had been mounted on the gun they in no certain words told me tough cookies. I had almost $150 in Cabelas points to use, so basically my scope was free plus the shipping. I dont plan on hunting in low light, but sometimes you cant help it. Maybe some day Ill have the funds for an ultra dot

maddog2020
09-09-2010, 06:09 PM
try www.cdnninvestments.com