PDA

View Full Version : modern 308 that holds 5 rds.

RU shooter
09-05-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm talking bolt guns here,Besides Tikka with their optional detachable magazine ,Are there any others that will hold 5 rds in a detachable or fixed box magazine ?

Tim

GabbyM
09-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Winchester Model 70's made by FN now. 308's even have a 12 twist barrel that is better for cast boolits.

Then there are Howa & Weatherby Vanguards.

The large capacity detachable magazine kits for the Remington and Savage rifles are expensive

missionary5155
09-06-2010, 04:15 AM
Good morning
My CZ 308 here in Arequipa holds 5 in the mag. This thing shoots 308 military - have tried numerous offerings from the Peruvian Army- all very well. Mine is the set trigger model .

nicholst55
09-06-2010, 07:13 AM
You can also have a Remington M700 modified to use the AICS (Accuracy International Chassis System) 5 and 10-round mags; it requires inletting the stock and replacing the bottom metal; the metal runs around $250 and the mags run around $80-90.

RU shooter
09-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Yes I looked into that option but too pricey for my budget same with the savage set up .I was planning on getting a stripper clip guide made if possible to go the economy route.

frank505
09-09-2010, 01:14 PM
A Remington 700 BDL with a Armtech magxtender ($20) will give you a 7 round capacity. Machine charger guides to the rear reciever bridge and it works very well. I have one on my 308 and have seen, in use, one on a 30/06. Both of these rifles are shot quite a lot without any feeding problems. We shoot rapid fire drills from sitting and prone out to 550 yards on a weekly basis. Dan shot a sacrifice plate (4"wide by 12" tall) at 300 yards, sitting with Ching sling, M2 ball ammo, 10 to 15 mph right wind, rapid bolt manipulation and hit 4 out of 5, with the last round just left. Great Shooting !!!!!!!!!!!!

GabbyM
09-09-2010, 05:42 PM
frank505 where did you find that extender. I've searched about twenty times and came up empty.
Only extensions I've seen are the plastic ones that break when you bump them.

tophet1
09-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Any Mauser '98 conversion should. eg Parker Hale, Whitworth, Zastava, Remington 798, Churchill, Daly, Voere.

Zastava and Voere can be purchased new.

RU shooter
09-11-2010, 04:33 PM
A Remington 700 BDL with a Armtech magxtender ($20) will give you a 7 round capacity. Machine charger guides to the rear reciever bridge and it works very well. I have one on my 308 and have seen, in use, one on a 30/06. Both of these rifles are shot quite a lot without any feeding problems.

Interesting! and reasonable too. Seems like it got more good reviews than bad.
Is the machining of the receiver the only option or can a guide be bolted on to the receiver I have seen Winchesters step up both ways but dont know about a Rem. 700.

frank505
09-11-2010, 05:30 PM
O. K. Weber used to make a bolt on clip guide. Not so sure they do anymore. A quick look at the Remington or the Winchester(push feeds) shows the rear reciever bridge hangs over the rear of the magazine box. In the better days, both companies offered charger clip guides on their rifles.
Mo DeFina says to just buy a Tikka with the detachable magazines and shoot. He used to offer a conversion to Remington 700 that took M14 mags. He said he had to modify the reciever and the magazines to get it to work well. The Tikka he bought with 4 extra mags is on its fourth barrel(308) and the mags are still going strong. That is 10,000 to 20,000 rounds downrange at High Power matches, he is a High Master....................

frank505
09-11-2010, 05:36 PM
The clip slot is not hard to do if you have a 1903 Springfield to look at and measure. Remington 40-X's have charger guides, even downsized for 223!!! One of the guys I shoot High power with runs a Remington 700 long action chambered in 308(left hand) is is neat to watch him in the rapid fire strings! I cheat and shoot an M1A.

azcruiser
09-15-2010, 04:56 AM
STEYR Mannlicher Pro Hunter best price I found was at CDNN investment texas LOVE MINE

frank505
09-15-2010, 11:23 AM
GabbyM, the magazine extenders are available from Brownells. They are made of of some kind of plastic that even I cannot break and I have tried. Shot the rifle last night, seven rounds down and fast bolt work at steel from 100 to 550. No malfunctions, the misses were my fault, quit after 50 rounds.

82nd airborne
09-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Out of curiosity, why not Tikka, they are pretty slick guns?

RU shooter
09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Out of curiosity, why not Tikka, they are pretty slick guns? They are in the running. But have their cons for my use The Varmit model is nice but kinda light at only 8 lb and the barrel length is less than 24"by a small bit but was looking for 24 min. prefer 26" I was actually reading several reviews on them last night.

82nd airborne
09-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Gotcha, makes sense. Every Tikka I've shot has a pretty dang nice trigger, I'll give em that.

376Steyr
09-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Steyr Scout magazines hold 5 rounds. The Steyr website lists them separately from the Pro-Hunter model magazines. I don't know if they are interchangable. You can't get much more "modern" than a Scout! :)

Railbuggy
10-06-2010, 06:24 PM
I picked up a Ruger M77,1980 serial# in 30/06 that holds 5 in it's fixed box.

Four Fingers of Death
10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
The Tikkas are reallllllllll good. I have one in 223 and the mags are as slick as frog snot. A lot of people turn their noses up at the plastic mags, but they are hell for stout and a lot smoother than most commercial metal mags. I like my Tikka so much I am thinking of selling my pre64 in 270 and getting a stainless camo Tikka.

Phillip
10-08-2010, 08:50 PM
If you do not mind buying used, a early Savage model 10 would be a good option.

For new, the Tikkas are pretty sweet. The Weatherby Vanguard's are nice as well.

Four Fingers of Death
10-08-2010, 09:15 PM
For a clip feeding 308, you can't go past a milsup Mauser. Real slick (they had to be, your life depended on it!). Israeli Mausers come in 308/7.62. With a scout scope they would be a good field rifle. I have had several and compared to th elonger cartridges, like 30/06, 7mm and 8mm the feeding was not as positive. One I had was a real bear, but the others were good enough for most use. A 3006 or a 7 or 8mm would be hard to go past with a good scout scope. and a plastic stock if you really want a clip feed.

What really achieves all of these aims in a modern reliable accurate rifle is a 7600 Remington. I have a 308 Police model which comes standard with 5 round mags, I also have two 10 round mags. Low mounted Leupold scope, hard to beat!

Larry Gibson
10-08-2010, 10:18 PM
I think you can still get the clip guides for Remington 700, M70 and Savage 110s. Has to be the right model though. Gunsmiths specializing in bolt action HP rifles can mill the slots on others. If using a scout scope or reciever sight no reason not to use a stripper clip to load.

I use stripper clips for a number of rifles. As fourfingers mention it is hard to beat a M98 action. Feeding can be a problem though if they are not set up right. Seems the longer M98 actions work best without feeding problems, especially those that were 7.65 Argentine or 8x57. A shorter follower and block can be put in the front of the magazine ala the Spanish FR8. Speaking of the FR8 here's mine that I turned into what i think is the most practical "scout" rifle from a martial point of view.

Bolt handle forged for easier manipulation from the shoulder position. The rear sight was replaced with a Lyman steel SME. Trigger adjusted for 3 1/2 lb double stage pull. Phoney CETME flash suppressor replaced with a M14 one with front sight. SA scout scope base on barrel with hand guard inletted for same. Burris 1.5 Scout scope w/duplex reticle in Weaver low rings for proper low mount and eye relief. Stripper clip guide altered for use with M1903.Swedish M96 clips. The magazine is easily and very quickly loaded via the stripper clip. A 9 round cartridge carrier on the side of stock for topping off magazine quickly. It is hell for stout and very quick and accurate to use. E targets are easily hit to 500 yards with M80 Ball and 700 yards with MK reloads or M118 (WB). Doesn't have a built in bipod or ching sling but it sure is a functional scout rifle.

Larry Gibson

Tazman1602
10-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Savage still makes one. I have one of these with a Luepold scout scope and it's a nice rifle. I did put a custom Sharp Shooter Savage trigger on mine and have had it for a number of years. Price was a LOT lower when I bought mine....

Look here:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCM+SCOUT

Tony65x55
10-10-2010, 09:22 AM
I would also recommend the Tikka very highly. I have several and aside from their beautiful triggers, they are as accurate as can be. My Tikka Super Varminter in 6.5x55mm is a quarter inch gun while my little T3 (barrel cut to 20") will hold 1/2 inch all day long, even from a hot barrel. Most folks don't know that Tikka and Sako barrels are cut on the same machines at the same time. The barrel makers don't know if the barrel will be screwed on to a $2000 Sako or a $700 Tikka. Hence, Tikka barrel are the recipients of the super quality control Sako exercises on it's high end guns. They all shoot great.

GabbyM
10-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Savage still makes one. I have one of these with a Luepold scout scope and it's a nice rifle. I did put a custom Sharp Shooter Savage trigger on mine and have had it for a number of years. Price was a LOT lower when I bought mine....

Look here:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCM+SCOUT

It only holds four in the magazine. We aren't counting the one up the pipe.
You can get extended box magazines for the Savage though. I'd rather have stripper clips.