PDA

View Full Version : another ? alloy

cephas53
09-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Howdy, came across some ingots that were supposed to be Lyman #2. Not so. Melt time is about double from what I'm used to. With a Lyman thermometer I notice some silver goblets melting out of the ingots at just over 600. At over 700-750 the ingot is still shaped but mushy, best descried as crumbly. A heavy dross forms on the mix. Fluxed with candle wax and later tried sawdust with not much effect. Tested with muriatic acid was negative. Bhn using the lead pencils puts it over 22. Read up and did the specific gravity check and came out with 6.6. Thought this was odd from what I've been reading, so I tested some know boolits and it seems my method was ok. Suggestions, ideas or thoughts appreciated. Only have bout 30 lbs of this so don't want to go overboard, but what would the next step be. Thanks and have a good one!!

Edubya
09-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Are you saying that you got it from somebody that told you it was #2?
It kinda sounds like it might be a babbitt with some copper.
I assume that your thermometer is correct, but if it's producing BHN22 and not liquefying until it's over 750*, it ain't #2!

EW

cephas53
09-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Yep, picked some up without taking a good look at it first. One more lesson learned.

docone31
09-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Just blend in some pure and stretch it out.

sagacious
09-05-2010, 10:36 PM
The silver droplets are likely indicative of tin content.

Both Sn and Zn have a density higher than your unknown alloy results indicate-- but your SD rsults are almost spot-on for Sb. It could be Sb + a little Sn, and that would explain the melt temp and dross. Good luck.

geargnasher
09-06-2010, 12:20 AM
+1 Sagacious, probably mostly antimony with either a touch of tin of lead, either one would leach out in droplets since the alloy wouldn't be homogenous due to the two very distinct freeze points.

I would check brittleness, if it's antimony it ought to shatter like glass when hit with a hammer. Then I'd take a small amount, maybe an ounce, and alloy it with an equal amount of known good tin. Ought to bring the melt point WAY down and make a nice, dross-free blend. If that's the case, you can assume those ingots are mostly antimony and, once mixed with tin, is easy to mix with soft lead to make whatever you want, like Lyman #2.

Gear

cephas53
09-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks all, melted a small piece down and added some tin, took care of the dross. Later will use it with some pure lead I have. Have a good one.