PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for "Fresh"salmon recipes

mroliver77
09-05-2010, 10:24 AM
A fellow from up north Mich is coming down to dear hunt at our place this year. He is bringing me a bunch of salmon he catches up there. I have only had it cooked on the grill once and baked a couple times. According to this fellow he is going to fill my freezer up. Any recipes will be appreciated. TIA
Jay

redneckdan
09-05-2010, 11:31 AM
One of my favorite ways is to get a good BBQ fire going, then lay down the fillet skin side down on foil, place sliced onions on the meat then drizzle some BBQ sauce over the onions then add your favorite spices. Don't over cook it, if the flesh easily flakes it is actually over done.

frankenfab
09-05-2010, 12:22 PM
MMMMMMMMM.

Teriyaki is very good on it, too!

Johnch
09-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Steam it in a rice cooker with Onions till it just flakes
I use Veg stock to steam

But dad preferrs Soysauce & water

Or make up a spice & brown suger mix , I like lots of pepper
Heavly cover the salmon with the mix
Broil till the mix melts and the salmon just flakes

OMG you are making my mouth water and the tummy grumble

John

Hickory
09-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Grilled Salmon

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup Shiraz wine
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 teaspoon lemon pepper
2 pounds salmon fillets
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
DIRECTIONS
1. In a bowl, mix the brown sugar in the hot water until dissolved. Pour into a large resealable plastic bag, and mix in wine, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, and lemon pepper. Place salmon in the bag, seal, and marinate 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat a grill for high heat.
3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Reserving marinade, place salmon on the grill, and cook 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until easily flaked with a fork.
4. Transfer reserved marinade to a pot. Dissolve the cornstarch in cold water. Bring the marinade to a boil, and stir in cornstarch mixture to thicken. Serve over the salmon or on the side as a dipping sauce.

Old Goat Keeper
09-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Broil or grill it with olive oil sprayed on and dill weed.

Tom

Lloyd Smale
09-07-2010, 06:45 AM
I like my fish deep fried in a turkey cooker thank you. Salmon season is in full swing up here. I dont get out much lately. this time a year im just to busy with killing deer but a few of my neighbors keep me with at least a few filets in the freezer.

MT Gianni
09-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Go to a fence place and get an untreated 7' piece of cedar. Cut a plank a little longer than the fillet and soak it for a couple of hours. Grill on the plank and enjoy.

mroliver77
09-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks all for the recipes. The fellows showed up yesterday and spent the day getting the feel of the place and putting up stands etc. They brought me a cooler full of salmon and deer meat. Sai8d they have three deep freezers full and no more room. I cleaned my freezer out and they said when they make it back to hunt they will fill it up. Fish is vacuum packed and looked professionally done. Anything I need to know about thawing it?
Hickory and Johnch are close enough to get some of this stuff. :)
I am invited to go fishing in the Grand Rapids Mich area with them.
Jay

Changeling
09-19-2010, 06:03 PM
There is a lady called Alton Brown I believe that is known as one of the best cooks supposedly going. I was told once she was very good with salmon so you might want to do a search on her. However, I wouldn't overlook the tried and true recipes given by the guys here.
When push turns to shove I would go with the people that have been there seen it and done it.

frankenfab
09-19-2010, 06:33 PM
:groner:

Alton Brown is a dude!:smile:

Yes his recipes are very good. He's kind of a nerdy science teacher type guy.

[smilie=l:

Changeling, did you get your rice cooker yet?

redneckdan
09-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Don't try to thaw it too quickly, ie microwave or hot water. best bet is to either thaw in fridge or go right from frozen to cooking.

357maximum
09-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I am invited to go fishing in the Grand Rapids Mich area with them.
Jay

I would take them up on their offer. While not the most scenic fishing in Michigan that stretch of water can be some of the best fish/water ratio if you time it right. I have seen it take as few as 7 cast/drifts to get your 3 fish limit fishing just down from the 6th street dam. :bigsmyl2: Have fun. :bigsmyl2:

Changeling
09-19-2010, 06:56 PM
:groner:

Alton Brown is a dude!:smile:

Yes his recipes are very good. He's kind of a nerdy science teacher type guy.

[smilie=l:

Changeling, did you get your rice cooker yet?

Hi Frank, I didn't know he was a "Dude", that was just what I was told.

No, haven't ordered it yet, still sorta up in the air whether to go with one of the "Nero Logic", or just a cook and keep warm model.
Either way (rice cooker) I do need one, I just plain have two many things going on at one time!

frankenfab
09-19-2010, 07:01 PM
I had some very good Salmon at Hemmingway's in Bass Pro Springfield that had Chineese 5 spice on it.