PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 45-70 advice needed

gefiltephish
09-05-2010, 09:29 AM
I seem to have been bitten by the 45-70 bug recently. I have it mind that I like the pistol grip better than the straight, but I haven't handled them yet so no conclusion.

The GBL looks to be what I like, except I'm not so sure about the large loop lever. I have small hands and even with gloves will probably never need the large loop. So my question is, can the large loop be converted over to the standard lever? OR, since the G model has the straight stock, can I change that for a pistol grip without having to change the lever as well? Not sure I would ever make such changes, just want to know what's possible.

If anyone would care to comment: The GBL has a 6 shot tube, while the G has a 4 shot tube. As my brother indicated to me last night, with the 45-70, if you don't kill what yer shootin' at with the first round it's only 'cause ya missed, and if you NEED more than 3, perhaps you should learn to run really REALLY fast or take up needlepoint instead! That said, until I can get an AR, this gun will double as my SHTF weapon, so the greater capacity would be a plus. It weighs the same as the 4 tuber and ya don't have to fill it for hunting.

I'm hoping to pick one up used and I'm not familiar with the history of the different models and current values, so maybe the GBL (recently new model?) is not even a real consideration for me at this point? I'm going to be scouring gunbroker, but for now, what do ya'll consider a fair price for a good "user"? I'm not interested in cosmetics or stainless. Are there earlier models that have micro-grooves? I intend to shoot cast and I've read that micro-grooves are a non-issue, but given a choice I'd pick the Ballard rifling.

Dogg
09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Doubt you will find a gbl used, since they are a new and limited production item. If you get one and don't like the large loop I will trade you a regular loop for it off my IV Ltd.
Good luck with your search.
GBL models have a pistol grip stock not a straight stock. I would opt for the ballard rifling, from what I've read here is more problems getting the micro-grove rifling to hold cast boolits that are not cast hard.

crabo
09-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I've got a GBL and I love it. If you don't like the big loop, you can trade it to someone in a heartbeat and make a little money.

I wouldn't buy a straight stock if I was planning on changing it to a pistol grip. You would spend some extra money. The GBL is also a laminated stock which should be more stable in the long haul.

I think the improvement that needs to be made to a GBL is the XS sight rail and peep sights. I have a a threaded post that I screwed an adjustable merit aperature on. I like having the thicker circle to help center the front post in dying light.

Ridgerunner665
09-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Or you could save yourself alot of money...and get the standard Model 1895 (22 inch barrel, 4 round mag tube), then add the laminated wood.

I like it...

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/45-70pic.jpg

missionary5155
09-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Greetings
For sure if the wood on my 1975 model ever goes bad I will go that laminate route.

btroj
09-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I have the old fashioned g model with non laminated wood. No large loop lever. I too have small hands and don't need the large lever. 4 rounds in magazine is fine with me. Have never needed 2 for hunting yet.
As for appearance- I don't like the big levers. I also don't like scout scopes. Call me old fashioned. This is a me thing- in the end, either will do anything you want. The rest is all personal preference.
Brad

6pt-sika
09-05-2010, 09:08 PM
I suppose laminated is okay for those that like it ;)

I actually had just about every XLR Marlin ever made and all of those had laminated stocks .

However now I'm more inclined to go with blued steel and WALNUT .

6pt-sika
09-05-2010, 09:12 PM
I have the old fashioned g model with non laminated wood. No large loop lever. I too have small hands and don't need the large lever. 4 rounds in magazine is fine with me. Have never needed 2 for hunting yet.
As for appearance- I don't like the big levers. I also don't like scout scopes. Call me old fashioned. This is a me thing- in the end, either will do anything you want. The rest is all personal preference.
Brad

I had a couple of the 1895G's and liked them well enough . I have fairly large hands and the normal levers have worked well for me as a matter of fact I do not like the big loop levers . And like you I don't care much for laminated wood anymore and certainly not the Scout scope mounts .

Now as to the "never needed more then 2 shots" I disagree ! There have been quite a few times when I taken 3 deer in a minute or less .

jh45gun
09-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I have the walnut stock blued steel guide gun non ported and I really like it. I like the compactness and how it carries and shoulders its a nice gun.I do not care for the plywood stocks give me walnut and plain blued steel.

JesterGrin_1
09-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 does fine for me. I have not put more than 3 rounds total in the rifle as of yet even when hunting. As it is just too easy to slide another round in if needed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0002-1.jpg

And they are not bad shooters. This target at 100 yards is with the Ranch Dog 350Gr RNFP/GC. bottom two sighters and top 3 for group. But I have to admit since this picture has been taken I have changed to the scout scope set up and I like it far better and so does my head lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0005.jpg

btroj
09-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Ok, I stand corrected. Those with multiple permits might need more magazine capacity. For people like me who are only shooting one may not need more capacity. My bear this spring certainly felt one round was enough.

Laminate stocks are ok. More dimensionally stable than plain ole wood but frequently heavier and I don't need the extra cost of the " fancy" Marlins.

Main thing I find is to work up to heavier recoil. I will start at 1400 or so and increase up to what I want over a month or so. Gives my shoulder time to get used to the recoil. Also gives me time to remember to keep my eye back from the scope. Don't ask why that is important. It was painful lesson.

Brad

JesterGrin_1
09-05-2010, 11:13 PM
btroj that is why I did switch to the scout scope set up lol. At times I hunt at night for HOG'S and it is just too easy to get a bit too close to the scope at night and well it is not fun to draw blood on both ends lol. And to see stars on an overcast night lol.

gefiltephish
09-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Or you could save yourself alot of money...and get the standard Model 1895 (22 inch barrel, 4 round mag tube), then add the laminated wood...
I'm thinking that this is what I'm going to do, except I could be quite happy with the wood as it comes. I like the shorter 18 1/2" barrel but don't consider it a deal breaker. Same with the 6 vs 4 tube. Just curious, can the 6 shot tube be installed on the "classic" model?

I made the trek to Cabelas in PA yesterday afternoon. I was able to handle what they had on hand, none of them in the configurations I was interested in though. I definitely preferred the pistol grip over the straight stock. They did have a used guide gun in nice shape for $450, but it was stainless and if I recall correctly, had the straight stock and 4 tube. At least it didn't have the big loop (which I didn't care for). If it had been blue I would have grabbed it and "suffered" with the stock. It just wasn't what I wanted.

Well, on to gunbroker. I'm a bit nervous purchasing a used gun without having examined it myself. I have purchase stuff on ebay though.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Ridgerunner665
09-06-2010, 10:23 AM
The 6 round tube can be put on a "classic"..but it requires cutting a new dovetail in the barrel IIRC.

crabo
09-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I bought mine off GunsAmerica.com The company was the Exchange and they had as good of a price as anyone. I actually stopped in their store on the way back to Dallas from North Dakota. They were 2 miles off my path. You can buy a new one for a little more than a used one. Here's an example of what they have.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/985915518/Guns/Rifles/Marlin-Rifles/Modern/Lever-Action/MARLIN_1895_45_70GOV_T_NEW.htm

onesonek
09-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking that this is what I'm going to do, except I could be quite happy with the wood as it comes. I like the shorter 18 1/2" barrel but don't consider it a deal breaker. Same with the 6 vs 4 tube. Just curious, can the 6 shot tube be installed on the "classic" model?

I made the trek to Cabelas in PA yesterday afternoon. I was able to handle what they had on hand, none of them in the configurations I was interested in though. I definitely preferred the pistol grip over the straight stock. They did have a used guide gun in nice shape for $450, but it was stainless and if I recall correctly, had the straight stock and 4 tube. At least it didn't have the big loop (which I didn't care for). If it had been blue I would have grabbed it and "suffered" with the stock. It just wasn't what I wanted.

Well, on to gunbroker. I'm a bit nervous purchasing a used gun without having examined it myself. I have purchase stuff on ebay though.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

It all depends on your personal wants and needs. Everybody thinks alil different, and thats all good. I don't have extremely large hands either, but know the larger loop will be handy for those times when hunting here can be down right cold,,,below zero in some years. Somtimes I have had to hunt with the one finger mitts, and those would never work in the standard lever. So that is a matter of function for me, rather than appearance. I generally hunt with single shots and was seriously thinking on a Encore .45-70 over the Marlin, but I always wanted a lever gun and finally found room for it.
I have to agree with your brother,,, the 6 round magazine isn't necessary for me either, that is one thing I did just like the appearance of the full length tube. The way I'm use to hunting with single shots, I will likely only put one extra in the magazine, so not having to cycle it so much to unload. Outside of Brown Bear country, one or 2 rounds should be all I need. The only reason other than that, is a place to carry more rather than a ammo wallet of sorts for extended trips. Although in a fast multiple oppritunity situation for wild hogs, I might think otherwise..

The wood is another personal thing as well. I love nice wood, but most of my guns are concidered tools, and function is more important than anything else. I do like the stability characteristic of lam's, and honestly I like the grey/black lam on my GBL, and I think it looks pretty drn good with black/blue metal finish. But thats just me. I have black /grey lam on my stnls Encore's as well.
Point is,,,you are the only one that has to be happy with your decisions and choices!
Dave

Ridgerunner665
09-06-2010, 11:23 AM
If you're gonna buy online (new)...I recommend Buds.

$505 and free shipping... http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/19/products_id/41011

45r
09-06-2010, 12:41 PM
I like the pistol grip for a rifle that kicks hard.You'll probably like a 45-70 with big loop but I didn't think they were any better when I tried them.I hunt in cold weather and cut a slit just past my trigger finger pad and poke it through the slit when time to shoot or leave it poked through all the time.Get good thin cold weather gloves and you don't need the big loop.It might be needed in alaska.I looked at a half dozen marlin 45-70's at the same time and got a XLR.It is so accurate right out of the box it will never be for sale and it will be my # 1 hunting rifle shooting 420GC boolits this year.

gefiltephish
09-06-2010, 03:47 PM
If you're gonna buy online (new)...I recommend Buds.

$505 and free shipping... http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/19/products_id/41011

I just purchased a NIB classic on gunbroker for $480 + 25 shipping - exactly the same from Richies Pawn & Gun.

Ridgerunner665
09-06-2010, 05:02 PM
I just purchased a NIB classic on gunbroker for $480 + 25 shipping - exactly the same from Richies Pawn & Gun.

That works too...:grin:

Keep us posted...

crabo
09-06-2010, 06:50 PM
The recoil pad on my new one is much better than some of the older models. That is also a savings to be had.

gefiltephish
09-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Can't wait to shoot this thing! My brother called and said he's gonna ship me a bunch of ammo, cast and jhp's 300 and 405, and 150 or so cases. WOOHOO!! Now I gotta get me some molds and dies. Having never fired one of these, maybe I should wait before buying a bunch of stuff, eh? Maybe I won't like it? Not likely! :D

Well, now he tells me he's going to also send a Bushnell Banner scope with weaver style rings, but I have to get a base. I'm looking in the Midway gunsmithing catalog 33G, I found a listing for this gun under weaver style bases, it's description is "Weaver Top-Mount Detachable base #63B. Unless I missed something, the catalog gives no indication of who makes it or what it looks like. I'd like to know if it allows some fore/aft adjustment. Are these things quick release?

BSkerj
09-06-2010, 11:40 PM
I paid 450.00 including transfer to my FFL for my 1895 SS LNIB. I prefer the pistol grip. The standards seem to be alot less money than the Guide Guns. I lucked out and found mine on Gunbroker at that price. Mine was made in 93 so it is the micro groove and I get great accuracy out of mine. The only bullet I have trouble shooting out of it is the Lee HB 405. I can't get a decent group. But with the Lyman 457124, 457193 I get laser accuracy at 100 yds. I did put on a Williams peep on mine and really it. You may also want to check on the Marlin Forum for a good deal.I see that Miha is just starting production on a 385 grn Cramer that has been on the drawing board for over a year...15 months to be exact...should be a great boolit.

Ridgerunner665
09-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Its just me I know...but I think its bad juju to put a scope on a lever gun. (just don't look or feel right to me)

Mine wears a Skinner receiver mounted peep sight...and for what these guns are used for it is as good as it gets.

thx997303
09-07-2010, 01:01 AM
I use the skinner peep and can hit prairie dogs at 100 yards with it consistently.

My Marlin is an 1895 guide gun. Blued with walnut stock.

onesonek
09-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Isn't here yet, but decided to put a Skinner on mine as well.

Dave

gefiltephish
09-07-2010, 09:45 PM
I paid 450.00 including transfer to my FFL for my 1895 SS LNIB. I prefer the pistol grip. The standards seem to be alot less money than the Guide Guns. I lucked out and found mine on Gunbroker at that price. Mine was made in 93 so it is the micro groove and I get great accuracy out of mine. The only bullet I have trouble shooting out of it is the Lee HB 405. I can't get a decent group. But with the Lyman 457124, 457193 I get laser accuracy at 100 yds. I did put on a Williams peep on mine and really it. You may also want to check on the Marlin Forum for a good deal.I see that Miha is just starting production on a 385 grn Cramer that has been on the drawing board for over a year...15 months to be exact...should be a great boolit.
I have 2 Miha molds now, 9mm and 45acp - love 'em. I'll have to go take a look at this one right away! Thanks for the heads up. Oh, I have NO intention of buying another Lee mold. What do you think of the Lyman tang sights?

gefiltephish
09-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Dang it you guys, now I have to look up skinner peeps!:mrgreen:

Ridgerunner665
09-07-2010, 10:26 PM
They are MUCH less expensive than a scope and mounts.

Old Goat Keeper
09-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Skinner peeps are much less in cost than scope and mounts and they also do not "bite" you like a scope can. But some of our eyes still can't use a peep so we are stuck with scopes to keep on hunting. It is still very much a "what works for you may not work for me" kind of thing.

Tom

Ridgerunner665
09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Thats true...but if the peeps will work, that is the way to go IMO.

ghh3rd
09-09-2010, 04:39 PM
I bought mine off GunsAmerica.com The company was the Exchange and they had as good of a price as anyone. I actually stopped in their store on the way back to Dallas from North Dakota. They were 2 miles off my path.

Crabo - that's exactly where I purchased my 1895GBL! They sound nice on the phone, but were a bit aloof when it came to shipping my rifle -- they had my check a week ago Thurs morning, but forgot to ship the rifle on Thurs, or on Fri, and I couldn't even reach them on Sat, Sun, or Mon! Tuesday they said they would try to expidite it, but Wednesday they said they had sent it regular UPS, so I won't be seeing it until Monday :( But at least I do have my brass, mold, primers and powder on hand so I can be ready for the day :-)

gefiltephish
09-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Thats true...but if the peeps will work, that is the way to go IMO.
Though quite unexpected, my scope is coming for free. I'd like to try out some peeps sometime.