PDA

View Full Version : work.its awful

Sonoma2k2
09-05-2010, 04:09 AM
It's 4am and I am on my break typing this on my phone. Yesterday my sinuses kicked in and now my head is killing me. I feel like my head is just going to explode from the pressure. It would be great to go on home but that don't pay the mortgage as we all know. My building rate for 12 hrs is 233 tires and as of now I got 88 so I am beating the clock just my head is beating me. Ugh. So what are you doing now at 4am?? Wish me well guys my nose is running like niagra falls. Laters

hoosierlogger
09-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Just got out of bed at 5 AM. I know I am a lazy bum lol. Getting ready to head off to the local flea market to see what king of goodies the other people are selling that I cant live without. Good luck shaking the headache.

rollmyown
09-05-2010, 06:07 AM
It's a rainy day where I am. Am at work too, but so far having an easy day. On call tonight, then finnish tomorrow afternoon.

Hope you can throw that headache soon. Hang in there.

Bret4207
09-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Vicks Ultra Fine Sinex Mist. I get "Silent Migranes" from sinuses. I'm fortunate that they aren't the painful ones, but the tunnel vision and balance issues stink. Vicks ALWAYS works, ALWAYS. BAck when I was still gainfully employed I kept it right in my work truck, in my locker, in my desk, in my BOB and at home.

bigdog454
09-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Retired!! 10:30 A. finished 2nd coffee and reading E-mails, Gona dod some target shootin later, and see the grandkids after that, don't know about tomorrow, don't want to plan too far ahead; may go fishin. Tues may turn some stainless steel rods for a guy and make some extra $$; may Not, he can wait.
LIFE IS GOOD, beer is good too.

Sorry; I just had to.

ps. hope you make it here!

DIRT Farmer
09-05-2010, 11:38 AM
10:30 AM, fed the cattle, checked the oil wells, grilling dinner, and putting the shooting boxes togather for Friendship, might as well just goof off the rest of the day. Sure is good being retired and being down to two jobs.

Bret4207
09-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah Farmer, retiring into farming is like retiring into about 6 new jobs! Besides the farm theres the kids and grandkids and I still need to either get a job or that small engine business going and then there's the relatives....time? What is time?

Mal Paso
09-06-2010, 09:15 AM
It's Labor Day 6:00 am so I'm getting ready for work. Got to look at a new job then go finish yesterday's. Can't afford not to in this economy.

JJC
09-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Yup it's labor day just like every other day, go to work. I start at noon though. The Mrs and kids have been camping for three days without me.

Sonoma2k2
09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Well its Monday around 9pm I'm starting to come back to normal. I haven't tried that vicks yet but sounds good. I had sinus surgery a few yrs back which has helped since I would get sinus infections every month.

DIRT Farmer
09-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Bret, You know it's a good day when the cattle are in the right pasture, the new tractor(30 years old, and I have 3 old ones) starts, and the oil lease I take care of, well the right amount of oil is in the tanks and none is on the ground. It does seem like I am off work when every thing is working and I finish up at around 10 AM, but have had a few days that drug into next week.

dromia
09-07-2010, 03:45 AM
You have my sympathy. I worked for 40 years and never got to like it.

Retired in April this year as they made me an offer I couldn't refuse, I'm not rich but I have no debt and all my bills are paid. Set meself up as a firearms dealer, see link below my signature, to pay for my shooting. Renting out my croft in Scotland for some spending money. I've never been busier or happier.

Its really amazing the peace of mind not having a mortgage or having to worry about paying the bill gives you, that for me upon reflection was the down side of work, the having to do it.

Bret4207
09-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Bret, You know it's a good day when the cattle are in the right pasture, the new tractor(30 years old, and I have 3 old ones) starts, and the oil lease I take care of, well the right amount of oil is in the tanks and none is on the ground. It does seem like I am off work when every thing is working and I finish up at around 10 AM, but have had a few days that drug into next week.

Boy, you got some NEW equipment. My newest is a '68, my most used a '55 and largest a '59.

DIRT Farmer
09-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Well I use two regulary that were built in the late 40s or very early 50s. I rember going to the John Deere day the year the 730 JD came out. The dealer had a tent set up with food and drinks in the field. They were plowing with the 730 and had the smaller tractors doing other jobs. When they shut it down, The farmers were looking at it and several commented who would ever need a tractor that big.

Wayne Smith
09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Wow, guys. I hesitate to post in this thread. I love my work so much I don't ever plan to "retire" - just reduce to about 20 hrs a week and take month long vacations.

MT Gianni
09-07-2010, 10:34 AM
4 years, 3 months and 26 days to go for me but I haven't thought about it much.

white eagle
09-07-2010, 10:42 AM
trying out the retirement thing as we speak
just got up 9:15 am
yeah I know
cast and loaded all day yesterday my wife and I weren't speaking to each other so I may as well rite ?
sorry to hear of your sinuses used to get that alot when the kid was in school but he's gone now to
best of luck to ya

mold maker
09-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I didn't plan to retire either. Company went bust (China) and we were put out to pasture. After almost 40 yr I didn't have any other needed skills so that's where it ended.
No complaints though, I can't find time to do anything I want. The 4 Grand Kids are a full time job, that I wouldn't miss for anything.
I got my eyes fixed and life is great.

10 ga
09-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Last Nov. VDOT layoffs and I got to retire. 40 yrs. and now gone. Doing some of what you have to do and some you want to do. Have a commercial watermans card so doing some fishing. Didn't have to but jumbo croaker were $1.25 # and large were $.90 # so did some netting. Kid home from college and she couldn't find a job so we fished, trapped and shot groundhogs($3@) for the farmers, scrounged lead, hung nets and made eel pots together. It's been the BEST summer of my life and I'm only 60. (well some of those summers when I was a teenager and had a hot girlfriend were pretty good). Now she is back to JMU. I'm sighting in my new to me Savage MLII smokeless MLer. Not a lot of $ flowing but with the fishing, trapping, and hunting got plenty to eat and some beer $. Now if I can find a way to pay my personal property, homeowner and income taxes I'd be OK. Another day upright and above ground. 10 ga

Bret4207
09-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Well I use two regulary that were built in the late 40s or very early 50s. I rember going to the John Deere day the year the 730 JD came out. The dealer had a tent set up with food and drinks in the field. They were plowing with the 730 and had the smaller tractors doing other jobs. When they shut it down, The farmers were looking at it and several commented who would ever need a tractor that big.

Yeah, I used to think 30 hp was a big as I'd ever need. HAH! If I could swing something in 85-90 hp class I'd get it and never use it to it's full potential. Biggest I gots now if a Case 811B gasser at 57hp. #2 is a DB 990 at about the same.

cbrick
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh man, retired people . . . I hate them with a passion!

Of course that's just a jealousy thing.

I'll be eligible to retire January first but will probably have to go another year. Thanks Obummer.

Rick

9.3X62AL
09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Retired a bit over 5 years, and I have no idea how all the things I'm now detailed to do got done while I was working. A Mystery Of The Ages, that.

I can't get enthused at returning to work, though the extra income would come in handy while Marie continues to be under-employed. A near-$30K hit to one's family income in a year is not comfy, but I'm sure we're not the only folks in town with that issue.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Sonoma 2k2, I was born and raised in the sinus belt that is southeast MO. I thought this is just the way the world is. When I was fifteen I made a trip in August by way of the southern route to California. What a delightful trip that was. I would go far a walk at night wherever we where in the southwest and there where no insects trying to drain my blood. There was no such thing as a sinus problem. Why would anyone want to live anywhere else. I have been a resident of southern California since I was seventeen and I will soon be 76. I can breath all the way down to my toes. Now, I have a question for Dromia, should he read this post. I don't want to be impertinent but being American I just can't help it , after all I think it's in our constitution as well as our DNA. We read often just how difficult it is to own any firearm in the UK. With that in mind I was wondering why you would want to be a firearms dealer? Could you tell us what guns you are allowed to sell ? I hope I am not getting to personal. I should add that we fight the same battles with the gun grabbers on this side of the pond.

smokemjoe
09-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Done that , worked graveyard shift on oil rigs.wrapped your body around the exhaust pipes to warm up the salted drilling mud on your body. Last was engine test, covered with oil, hot water, diesel fuel, trying to make piece work, Layed off alot, All that to make a house payment. Retired now, how we do that.

DIRT Farmer
09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
My big tractor is a 8600 Ford, the main reason I have it is the round baler and the grain cart. Going down hill is almost as much fun as going up. In the project line up (needs major fixing) I have an A Farmall,800 Ford and a 5000 Ford plus the real old D-4 Cat that needs a under carraiage rebuild. Left overs from when I tried to farm all I could find plus several acres of tobacco.

dromia
09-08-2010, 03:36 AM
Now, I have a question for Dromia, should he read this post. I don't want to be impertinent but being American I just can't help it , after all I think it's in our constitution as well as our DNA. We read often just how difficult it is to own any firearm in the UK. With that in mind I was wondering why you would want to be a firearms dealer? Could you tell us what guns you are allowed to sell ? I hope I am not getting to personal. I should add that we fight the same battles with the gun grabbers on this side of the pond.

Why would I not be a firearms dealer, I have nigh on 100 rifles in my personal collection with a similar number of obsoletes. I'm retired and not getting any younger so do I want to leave all this stuff for my wife to clear up if I go to Ardachu sooner than I'd like.

With a ready made stock inventory like that being an RFD makes sense. I enjoy shooting, guns and shooters so being an RFD is just another extension of that. As a business it will hopefully pay for my own personal shooting which then won't have to come from my pension. Also if I keep my trading levels right I won't have to pay tax on my pension.

Its not that difficult to obtain firearms in this country as it still a right, allbeit a qualified one.

You must meet three criteria.

You must be a fit person, no criminal record or history of serious mental illness.

You must demonstrate good cause, this usually met by being a member of a gun club or having land to shoot over or being part of your work - farmer etc.

The guns must be adequately secured commensurate with the risk, for most people this is a gun cabinet secured to the fabric of the building, for some one like me I have a secured gun room with a monitored alarm.

Meet these criteria and an firearms cerificate (FAC) and or shotgun certificate is yours. The FAC will have the number and nature of the firearms you aere authorised to purchase entered on it. An RFD certificate has no such restrictions but you must maintain a firearms and ammunition register. These are all sanctioned by your local police authority

The following firearms are banned unless you have section 5 permissions on your RFD, these are approved by the Home Office.

Self loading automatic rifles other than .22" calibre, semi auto shotguns retricted to three shot capacity.

All pistols other than BP and long barrelled, classic pistols can be kept and shot under section 7.3 at approved ranges. My webleys are kept and shot under section 7.3.

Further detailed information can be found here:

BASC (http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/firearms/guidance-and-fact-sheets.cfm)

Shooting is on the up and up in the UK at present with the number of FAC and SG holders increasing. One club which I am Chairman of is turning new members away as we are stretched to manage the demand. It is also young people coming into the art wich is encouraging.

Also the reaction to the recent Cumbrian shooting murders has been measured and sensible, both by politicians and the media unlike the aftermath of the Dunblane murders which was a political and media witch hunt. Although we still await the outcome of the inquiry.

If you click on the Pukka Bundhooks link at the bottom of my signature you will get a feel for a UK RFD.

To finish a question for you, what makes you think that being an RFD isn't something that someone wouldn't want to be?

DanWalker
09-08-2010, 04:49 AM
It's 0245 on 9/8/2010.
Just landed the curve on another directional well up here in scenic Mountrail county ND.
My job is nothing but gravy when it's going well. (cast 300 boolits tonight while on shift)
It's also capable of crushing pressure and punishing hours, when things go bad.(40 hour days)
I used to bounce all over the country, averaging 20 plus days per month away from home.
Switched companies in January and now just follow ONE rig in ND. I took a 50 percent pay cut when I jumped ship, but I don't regret it a bit. I now only work 12-14 days a month on average.
Hoping to work even less once the wife is done with college in 2 years. I want to only work during the miserable winter months, then goof around in the mountains the rest of the year.

GDLT31
09-08-2010, 05:56 AM
01/02/2014,Done.Retired.Can't wait.
:bigsmyl2:

Bret4207
09-08-2010, 06:58 AM
My big tractor is a 8600 Ford, the main reason I have it is the round baler and the grain cart. Going down hill is almost as much fun as going up. In the project line up (needs major fixing) I have an A Farmall,800 Ford and a 5000 Ford plus the real old D-4 Cat that needs a under carraiage rebuild. Left overs from when I tried to farm all I could find plus several acres of tobacco.

Yeah, nothing like trying to roll a half ton of hay to soak up the HP! I don;t know about you but I have a love/hate relationship with my balers- I love the end product, it's getting them there I hate! I have a marked round bale out in the field right now that contains 452" of baler belting. Love it when one lets go and you don't see it!

Hey, I have a 7uD4 I'm working on too. Mine came with a spare set of near new tracks, of course the saltwater bath they took didn't help them any, but we can work around that. I need to put rod bearings in. Now there are 2 types of bearings- the $13.00 ones and the $55.00 ones. You can guess which I need.

DIRT Farmer
09-08-2010, 10:10 AM
My pasture/hay ground has some steep places. I was baling with the 5000 Ford and went down a grade side ways, hence bought a bigger tractor that day. Intersting the usless mid size tractors 1oo to 150 hp are the cheepest around here. To small for the big guys to work with and to big for the hobby guys. Do I need 125 hp, no but it sure makes for a stable baling tractor.

As for the dozers have you noticed if you paint it yellow the Cat dealer thinks it has the same value as gold?

bigdog454
09-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Only $55.00 each? I had to replace 8 bolts in the rear ring gear of my old IH loader, or buy a new tractor. They were $96.00 a piece, almost had to take a loan.

Bret4207
09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, Cat parts can be dear, same for JD. I went looking for a particular 65 hp Case today and found out it was gone. No biggie since I'm broke anyway, but it woulda been nice. Something about 85 hp with a loader is my dream.

$96.00 for bolts??? Dang man, there was no other option? I rebuilt my JD 1010 and it was missing the correct rebated head bolts. I bought Grade 8's and turned the rebated section on the lathe. Later ran into a complete set of proper bolts, but my ho'mades seem to work fine.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks dromia for answering my questions about gun ownership in the UK. I am glad you are able to enjoy a hobby that has fascinated me since childhood. The problem we have here is not so much buying the guns, but keeping ranges open to shot them. If I didn't have Buckshot to ride with up in the mountains to that range I would probably sell most of my collection. I also enjoyed seeing your country home. If I ever win the lotto or otherwise come into the funds I think it would be great to stay at your place and go shooting with your buddies. I am attaching a picture of me mowing part of my little piece of paradise.

kennisondan
09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
my retirement plan : tattoo a date on my chest like an expiration date, in the form of a living will, with do not rescuscitate after above and foregoing date. Unless I get some monstrous stroke of good luck thats it for now.
dk

DIRT Farmer
09-08-2010, 10:56 PM
After the stock crash, my wifes pension, my stock has four legs, losing my main job at 58, and taking one heck of a pay cut, my retirement plan is to work till I die.

Bret4207
09-09-2010, 06:12 AM
I retired young enough to hopefully build a second career, just need to get the family squared away so I have time enough for that.

missionary5155
09-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Good morning
My mom retired last year at 80.. she was having fun being useful.
I do not have any plans to retire.. I am having the best possible life experiences doing what God has for me to do. But I guess if making money and getting set up for those last years is all you have then you better enjoy it while you can.

DIRT Farmer
09-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I never intended to retire in the traditional sence, just had different plans. Some jobs have expiration dates, as a paramedic hearing is critial but 30 years of working rural EMS with long runs and lots of high pitched noise directly in your ears makes you decide if your working is benifical to those your working on. I would love to keep on helping people in that manner. When working on farmers, coal miners, and the usual assortment found here, it is good to have an understanding of what you are working on. A farmer under a piece of equipment in a cow pasture and an emt who is afraid to be around livestock is a bad combo. Too many leave class with the super hero complex thinking they know every thing needed to save the world. Thank God for volenteer fire fighters who have medical training and do the same things your pts. do and understand the situations and equipment we found people tangled up in. Now I am in a limbo situation with two family members who need asistance, but have plans for the future.

Bret4207
09-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Plans...I got lotsa plans. Just need time, energy and money.