PDA

View Full Version : P - 14

robertbank
09-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I have a chance to pick up a sportorized P -14 in .303 British. Gun appears to be in very good condition. Anyone out there have any experience with these rifles. I understand the actions to be better than the Lee Enfields but would like to hear your experiences before dropping $300 into the gun.

How hard is it to replace stocks to restore, as in are they available.

Take Care

Bob

db2
09-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Bob,

Are the rear sight ears intact? My sporterized P-14 has the ears milled off. As for returning it back to as issue, at 300 I would not mess with it. For less than 500 you can pick one up already in military config. As for a stock one might try Numrich Gun Parts Cat. 27 still showed stocks, and other parts.

I hunt with my P-14 every year, for the last 6 years. It may not be the prettiest rifle out in the field, but it is my work horse. I have been out in rain, snow, and ice storms. It always goes bang when I pull the trigger. Some people do not like the cock on close, but I do not mind it. I have heard bad things about the cock on open conversions, but I have no experience with them.

I do not know if this helps or not, just my experience with mine.
db2

robertbank
09-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes the ears are still there. Going to take a hard look at it on Sunday. Guy has three of them and all nicely finished. The bolt action in the P-14 should be better than the Lee Enfield as it is based upon the Mauser action.

Take Care and Good Hunting.

Bob

Four Fingers of Death
09-09-2006, 06:42 AM
Basically there are three sorts, Winchester, the serial numbers start with a W, extremely desirable. Remington, also desirable and finally Eddystone, not so desirable, but the most common and almost as good as the others, There is not much in it and they all shoot well, but the Winchesters are the pick of the bunch. If it is a Winchester, look carefully at the rear sights. If it has a knob with a Mercedes type star or has the remnants of scope mounts it is a sniper (No3T or whatever) and is very rare (only 2001 made in a series which saw 1,250,000 rifles made) and extremely desirable. I picked one up cheap which had been sporterised, which was a shame, I let it go to a mate who is a committed collector and he has restored it to it's former glory.

They all shoot well and are fun to own. I have an Eddystone P14, two Remington M17s (one with an early Parker, i.e, pre Parker and Hale sight) and two Eddystone M17s that have been converted to target rifles. They sorta multiply in your safe. Mick.

Ps, Good luck with it.

robertbank
09-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Now you got my juices flowing. I have my pick of three so hopefully there will be a Winchester in the bunch. I guess I should refer to the gun as a Model 14. I'll let you know which makes they are. From your post I assume they are good shooters. Thanks for the reply.

I assume you are enjoying the return of Spring. Fall here has turned rainy after a summer of little rain. The latter is not good but we were spared significant forest fires.

Take Care

Bob

45nut
09-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Actually there are two rifle nomenclatures,,,the British Pattern 14 and the subsequent US Model of 1917. I have a dozen here...

robertbank
09-09-2006, 11:26 AM
As a matter of interest what do they sell for down your way? Patern 14 and the Model 1917

Take Care

Bob

45nut
09-09-2006, 01:21 PM
I picked up a drill model P 14 for $50.00...as issued except for having a hole drilled thru the chamber,,too cheap to pass up. I bought my other P 14 303 in original configuration for around 200,,,my 1917;s avg 200,,I have a P 14 that has a 500A Square pac nor barrel,Bell & Carlson stock,timney trigger and such that has way too much money in it,a 416 RM,375-338 Taylor,35 Whelen built on a Rem 34 action,458x2 American,458 Lott,30-378 Wby,340 Wby,,couple more I forgot.....
http://home.earthlink.net/~chevyken/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/webenfields.jpg

Four Fingers of Death
09-09-2006, 07:02 PM
I forgot the post war Remington sporters, I'd love one of those.

Sporters sell for $AU15-250, full military trim $AU250-350 and full military with excellent Bbls, $AU450 odd. The sporters used to be dearer, but military service shooting discipline has taken off in recent years and this has driven prices up.

I just paid $585 for an exceptional Remington M17 with the old Parker sight (and 308 insert).

The old Winchester sniper which was sporterised (not a bad job either with home made bases, etc and 4x scope was $AU165, made some bucks on that one!
mick.

mag_01
09-16-2006, 10:25 PM
I Have a P 14 strong action I like it--good luck ---Mag