PDA

View Full Version : cloth patck instead of sabot.

canuck4570
09-08-2006, 11:08 AM
about a week ago I told you we where to try using cloth patches instead of plastic sabot in our muzzle loader..... well we have tried it and not good.... we had in line and traditional muzzle loader we tried everything thick patches thin ones bullet ranginf from 300 gr to 474 gr. thight patches seems to perform best but at 50 yards about 6 inches.... loose patches well buckshot .....we notices that the patches in the in line where cut to piedes... could to fast twist.....it look like I will still us my traditional with round ball.....or plastic sabot in my in line.... from Canuck..... good hunting to you all this fall......

mooman76
09-08-2006, 12:03 PM
What twist rate did the traditional ML have?

versifier
09-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the report. Some things you just have to try. And sometimes you get a pleasant surprise, sometimes an unpleasant one. Either way you learn something.

canuck4570
09-09-2006, 10:26 AM
the in line where 1 in 24 and the traditional ( tradition ) was 1 in 48 and if I am not mistaken the savave smokeless was 1 in 22 ..... over 90 shot where fired and no succes....... but it was fun... Michel

44man
09-10-2006, 11:08 AM
The reason it won't work is because you can't engrave the bullet. With a round ball and patch of the correct sizes, the patch will engrave the ball in the bottom of the grooves providing a tight gas seal. I other words, there is no gap . You are trying to seal around a bullet with cloth alone. It just blows and burns out.
Now if you used a pure lead boolit of bore size, (land to land, not groove size.) and patched it, it would work like a paper patched boolit but would be the devil to start. You would destroy the boolit pounding it in.
The proper size ball and patch will have the material forced into the ball at the bottom of the grooves .005" and the weave of the cloth will be very evident there if you pull the ball. Of course the lands will be engraved a lot more depending on the depth of the rifling. .010" rifling is ideal for a ball. If you notice, the rifling on an inline is very shallow. Even if you wanted to try round balls in one, it won't work because you can't grip the tiny drive area and it would just strip anyway.
Using a small jacketed bullet with a thick patch doesn't help because if the patch is thick enough to seal, it cant engrave the harder bullet and is cut when loading. There is too much cloth alone to try to hold back gas.
A way to try a patch is to load a gas seal on the powder, then a patched bullet.
Hey, why do we want to do so much work anyway?

44man
09-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I just read your first post and seen you are using a soft boolit. I would say that in the inlines, it is not taking the shallow rifling and stripping which will also cut the patch.
In the traditional you would most likely need a larger diameter boolit and run into the impossible to load scene. Gas cuts the patch up before the boolit bumps up to seal. I never depend on bump up in any gun, even with Minie' ball.
You might also have shallow rifling in the traditional with the 1 in 48 twist that is made for the maxi ball type boolits. Strip city with a patch and small boolit. I think you are turning the guns into smoothbores.
It sounds like you are using a .458 in a .50 caliber! You cant depend on cloth to hold the boolit in line with the bore either. Now a .490 to .495 boolit might work.
Darn, why do you make me think? I am too old!