PDA

View Full Version : I'm not buying a lotto ticket today...

Silent
09-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Because I've already hit the jackpot!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/NAA_Silent/2010-09-04-092246.jpg

100% free! The guy wouldn't even accept a 12 pack. Some iron, some zinc, some steel, but mostly straight usable wheel weights with a LOT of straight lead stick ons. I think they tossed them in there when the mandatory zinc change over hit. Now all I gotta do is figure out how to get the tape off the stick ons so my neighbors don't call the fire department!

Ohio Rusty
09-04-2010, 01:40 PM
You did great !! The WW guardian angel was watching over you for sure !! The sticks ons are really pure lead and make great muzzleloading boolits/round ball.
I feel lucky when I can get a coffee can full of WW's .... I can't imagine 4 buckets ....
Ohio Rusty ><>

Centaur 1
09-04-2010, 02:46 PM
You better go buy a lotto ticket, that's over 500 pounds of free boolit lead.

Silent
09-04-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm very surprised myself, considering I live in California. First place I hit this morning was a winner! Melted out about 18 lb worth, gonna hold off on the rest since it's stinky work and the winds blowing twards my neighbor. Been sitting there most of the morning with my side cutters checking weights.

snsbpb
09-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Looks like you did very well, congratulations!

AbitNutz
09-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Before cashing the ticket, set up a non-for profit organization with you as the only employee. That gets you out of playing any US taxes on the entire amount. You then move the organization to Switzerland and move all the cash assets into Swiss Francs You then surrender your US passport (that now costs $500.00) and give up your US citizenship and apply for Swiss citizenship. They have the second highest rate of gun ownership next to the US and quite liberal gun ownership laws. They also have extremely low personal tax rates.

Then sit back and enjoy life....figure winning the lottery for no more than a 100 million would make this all work well. I have this in my budget plans for next year.

geargnasher
09-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I know this might be an "Idiot Directive" as a military friend of mine calls statements of the obvious, but in case you don't happen to know, but sort the clip ons from the stickies, don't melt them together unless you want a softer alloy. The stickies ar soft lead as has been said, some are zinkers, (watch those), and mark your stick-on ingots differtently from you straight clip-on ingots. You can usuall tell buy looking which is which because the alloys are so different, but better to know for sure! Congratulations1

Gear

lwknight
09-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Maybe you should buy lotto. When your hot , your hot and when your not , your not.

chris in va
09-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Even if it's got a lot of zinc in it, you hit the mother lode. Keep the zinc, we may be using that here in a couple years.

wistlepig1
09-04-2010, 09:36 PM
What I do to get the tape off the stickons.
I take a plastic coffee "can".
I fill it 3/4 full of S.O.'s.
I pour Napha over the top, remember this stuff is lighter fluid, no more needs to be said!SURE
Put the top on the "can" and walk away til the next day.
The next day I pour the Napha out of the can over a coffee filter, so I can re-use it.
The tape and most of the stickie is gone or in the bottom of the can.
WARNING, WARNING Will Robinson!!!!
Did I say that this is LIGHTER FLUID!!!!!

94Doug
09-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Who needs money when ya got lead.

Doug

Silent
09-04-2010, 10:59 PM
I know this might be an "Idiot Directive" as a military friend of mine calls statements of the obvious, but in case you don't happen to know, but sort the clip ons from the stickies, don't melt them together unless you want a softer alloy. The stickies ar soft lead as has been said, some are zinkers, (watch those), and mark your stick-on ingots differtently from you straight clip-on ingots. You can usuall tell buy looking which is which because the alloys are so different, but better to know for sure! Congratulations1

Gear

I've been tossing the lead stickies into a coffee can for later tape removal, the non lead stickies go into another bucket with the dross, clips, zinc, steel, and iron. I'll take that to work and drop the contents into our mixed metal recycle bin. All my ingots are marked with a sharpie, 63/37, pure, or WW. So far I've pulled about 50 ingots out of a 1/3 bucket. I figure 120 or so per bucket will be the final tally.

I pour Napha over the top, remember this stuff is lighter fluid, no more needs to be said!SURE

Would gasoline or possibly kerosene work just as well?

On second thought, maybe I will go buy a lotto ticket [smilie=w:

qajaq59
09-05-2010, 02:47 PM
When I do the stick=ons is I wait till I have an inch or so already melted in the pot and then I drop a hand full in and stand by with the strainer. That way I can scoop out the tape before it gets smokey. I do the same thing when there is contact cement or wood on the lead from X-ray rooms as well. Works pretty good if you're quick.
And definitely sort the zinc out of them first.

mold maker
09-05-2010, 03:13 PM
If ya presort the stickies, ya can melt them covered and ignite the remaining smoke along with flux. You'll get little smoke and good clean lead.
You've struck gold with 4 free buckets of WWs. I'd deliver them an XL Pizza w/full toppings for lunch tomorrow, along with several empty buckets. He will be replacing all WWs with Zn, or Fe from now on. It will take about 2 years to get all the tires with lead weights replaced. That will be the end of free WW.

wistlepig1
09-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Would gasoline or possibly kerosene work just as well?

On second thought, maybe I will go buy a lotto ticket [smilie=w:

Have NOT tryed gas or anything else, so I can't say but please be very careful with any of them! I do set them all out in the sun for a day after the treatment!

whisler
09-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Do not use gasoline due to flammability issues, but Mineral spirits or kerosene should both work. Mineral spirits evaporates faster than kerosene, but should work as well as naphtha and be safer.