PDA

View Full Version : The Restoration of a Dunbar ‘H’ Press (long message)

Kevin Rohrer
09-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I enjoy owning old reloading presses, especially those made of American steel. I don’t enjoy owning aluminum presses, especially those made with Chinese aluminum (e.g. RCBS).

There is nothing inherently wrong with an ‘O’ or ‘H’ aluminum reloading press. It’s just that I prefer presses made with steel for its rigidity and strength over aluminum for its cost-effectiveness. And since I only know of one company who still makes presses out of steel (CH/4D), it’s not hard to covet presses conceived around the time I was: the mid 1950s. If that seems snobbish, I don’t mean to be. My logic is the same used by those who value forged steel parts over cast steel in their service rifles.

Whether someone chooses to use whatever can easily be found and is affordable, or take the extra step of locating and purchasing higher quality, hard-to-find loading equipment is a matter of personal preference. Too often, older equipment is rejected from consideration just because it wasn’t made in this century. The idea that new is always better is a fallacy. It it wasn’t, Ebayers wouldn’t be paying a premium for old Hollywoods, Texans, or RCBS A2 presses, all of which are made entirely of steel.

Old equipment also adds a large touch of class to a bench as well as one of nostalgia. I like owning presses made during an era when strength, durability, and quality were the only considerations. The terms ‘quantity’ and ‘cost-effectiveness’ weren’t in press builders vocabulary at that time.

A few months ago I decided to replace the aluminum on my bench with steel. By searching the internet daily, I was able to get rid of my RCBS Rockchucker and replace it with a Hollywood Senior. In effect I was trading up from a large, noisy, mass produced ‘kneeknocker’ to a compact, quiet, hand-made press that sets out-of-the-way on-top of my bench. I paid a premium for the Hollywood, and in return I received a premium reloading press.

After that I continued searching for a small, select group of presses that would replace the rest of the aluminum presses, and it wasn’t long before one of them appeared on Ebay: a 2-station, all steel, Dunbar ‘H’ press.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0265.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0264.jpg

Cosmetically, the Dunbar had seen better days; not only because of the surface rust previous owners had allowed to form on it, but also because of the abuse the seller gave it prior to its sale. Apparently this intellectually-challenged, profit-driven individual decided that he could get more money for it by taking a wire wheel to different parts, especially the handle. Yes, the procedure removed rust, but the rust was replaced by many small scratches and gouges that have proven to be difficult to remove.

Because the press appeared to be in cosmetically poor condition, I was able to get it for a relatively small amount of money. Shipping for this 30lb press was reasonable and I along with friends and family have been slowly restoring it to like-new condition.

Disassembly was not too difficult as it is entirely held together using various lengths of 5/16” hex-nut screws. Four of the seven screws were frozen, but after a day and a half of soaking in PB Blaster, I was able to tap them loose. As a precaution, I recorded the lengths of each screw with a caliper for easy reassembly.

Here is the press as disassembled. Note that all parts are large, heavy, and steel. The picture below it shows some of the tool marks left by the seller, as well as the only identification mark on it that identifies it as being a Dunbar.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0272.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0278.jpg

My motivation for performing the restoration came after seeing the superb job Freebore did on a Leib that had been in cosmetically poor condition as my Dunbar. He performed a metal-working miracle as documented on The Firing Line site and the Leib probably looks better now than when it came from the workshop it was built in.

I don’t possess the equipment and expertise like Freebore does, so after disassembling and degreasing the press with an orange cleaner, some parts went to my father-in-law for buffing, while the remainder went to a co-worker for sanding. The parts to be buffed were the handle, pivot bar, and the two columns. My father-in-law’s comment after finishing was that it was the hardest job he has ever undertaken as these parts were extremely hard and must have been heat-treated to harden them. My comment: That’s the sign of a quality product made to last for generations.

Unfortunately, not all the wire marks and gouges were removed from the pivot bar and handle, so I am currently working on them as I find time using different grades of Scotchbrite.

The co-worker fared better and was able to remove all the old paint from the base as well as remove any remaining rust and tool-marks from the other parts. For the sandblasters reading this, he used Black Beauty for rust and paint removal, then silica sand for putting the frosted finish on the die-plate and shell-plate, as well as the arms.

As the Dunbar was originally unpainted except for the sand-cast steel base, I decided to leave it that way. My only problem was deciding what color to paint the base. The original color was a medium gray paint best described as “factory machine” gray. Very dull and drab.

I wanted to add some color to my bench and considered both red and green. I rejected red as I didn’t want it to seem that I merely copied Freebore‘s color scheme, so I bought some Rustoleum Hunter Green enamel that I tried on the underside of the base. It looked so bad I immediately rejected that color and went with Rustoleum Hammered Bronze spray. Although it is called ‘Bronze’, the color is decidedly a shiny, dark gray. For Porsche owners, it is very close to Porsche’s Atlas Gray color.

After priming and allowing a two day drying period between coats of paint, I greased the parts with RIG that won’t be accessed after assembly, then assembled and oiled the press with Breakfree.

The die plate is setup for normal dies, but the Dunbar came without shellholders. Fortunately, CH/4D makes excellent universal shellholders for $10 that grace three of my other presses, so I bought and installed the two needed.

Here is the result of everyone’s labors.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0301.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0302.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0300.jpg

It now shares prime bench-space between the Hollywood and a Lachmiller primer tool, and will be getting a workout FL resizing 2000 rounds of .308 and 30/06.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0303.jpg

If you take anything else away from this message, it’s that old but high-quality reloading equipment can be had for less money than newer, no more capable equipment. Some of this old equipment can be used ‘as is’, while others will take some TLC to get it back to its original look and usefulness. But as a friend of mine likes to say, “Hey, it’s all good”. :bigsmyl2:

Buckshot
09-04-2010, 02:24 AM
.............You guys did a fine job on the old press. Nifty old piece of gear.

...........Buckshot

cheese1566
09-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Beautiful!

I love that RustOleum Hammered Finish Paint!

Bret4207
09-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Good work, very nice. I think the previous owner used a sanding disc, not just a wire wheel.

pmeisel
09-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Very good looking project. I will be on the lookout for cool old presses....

Kevin Rohrer
09-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Here's more on Dunbar presses.

http://www.doering.cc/dunbar.html

LAH
09-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Kevin you did good...............Creeker

.30/30 Guy
09-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Great job Kevin!

I have a Hollywood Senior and a Dunbar mounted on my loading benches. It would be a tough choice if I had to part with one of them. I guess that if I only could keep one of them it would be the Dunbar.

arkypete
09-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Dunbar was the first press I ever owned.
Traded it off for a Bonanza CoaX.

Jim

AbitNutz
09-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I yearn for an RCE Walnut Hill but I have little hope in obtaining one due to...sporadic delivery.

Echo
09-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Wow, Kevin - talk about Capable! That press looks like it can do any job you give it, and look handsome in the meantime (sorta like me - right). Good job.

cptuap
08-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Recently aquired a Dunbar in great condition. Base painted a dark gray, all else except the columns is blued. Have shell holders for 30-06 and 45 auto rim and both priming tools. Looking forward to putting this fine old press to work. It has the Dunbar Glass Corp. plaque so I assume it was made prior to the 1953 close of that firm. Charlie

W.R.Buchanan
08-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Kevin: it almost looks like there is enough room for a third hole between the other two?

You could do the charge, seat, and crimp process, to any large rifle cartridge known to man.

Looks real good, and the point is that most old machinery that was made back when they still made things well ,never will be junk. It almost always can be refurbished to new or nearly new and have a complete nother life. When the first life was 50-100 years, you can usually bet the next life will be as long. Look at all the old guns that get refurbished into beautiful pieces of art. No reason the tools associated with those guns should live on too!

Look into a Scotch Brite abrasive wheel for your bench grinder. They can cut thru alot of goop and also remove lots of scratches that you wouldn't normally be able to get out. I use one in my shop for deburring and breaking edges on parts. Very easy to get good with.

Lots of times pitts and such are just too deep, and show up like a sore thumb with the surrounding metal polished.

Then a brushed finish, or in the case of flat pieces using a orbital sander to produce the jitterbugged finish will cover up things that are unsightly.

On round pieces with pitts I put them in the lathe and spin them slowly and run relatively coarse sand paper back and forth to achieve a cross hatched finish. You can also do this on a belt sander on flat pieces by getting all the marks going one way and then making one pass at an angle to the first ones. You get a pleasing cross hatch finish that covers alot of surface imperfection.

Another thing that can be easily made is a fuzz wheel. You take 4 scotch bite pads and make squares of of them and cut small holes in the centers . You thread them onto the grinder shaft and stagger the corners. Be careful at first but the corners will soon get rounded and you will have a wheel that will deliver a nice smooth flat finish, and get into nooks and crannys you won 't believe. Especially good for buffing the threads on bolts.

I love doing this type of stuff and just completed the refinishing of my Cummins Engine for my Jeep project. :mrgreen:

Randy

Kevin Rohrer
09-01-2011, 12:25 AM
I had forgotten about this thread. Since starting it, I added a second Dunbar to the bench. The first has the name Dunbar stamped into the main column, while the second has the little drive-nail mounted plaque on the base. I am told that one was made in Dunbar, WV while the second one was made later when the company moved to Virginia. I was also lucky enough to acquire a set of priming posts for each press.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0357-1.jpg

Roundnoser
09-02-2011, 12:11 AM
SHOW OFF!!!! Just kidding...Very sweet presses. I really enjoyed the pics. Thanks.

Ziptar
09-02-2011, 07:36 AM
I love doing this type of stuff and just completed the refinishing of my Cummins Engine for my Jeep project. :mrgreen:

Randy

Nice! I love that engine!

richhodg66
09-02-2011, 08:43 AM
There was a press like that in a shop in the next town over set up with 12 gauge shotgun dies. Lots of rust on the press, but the die set looked good, not sure if all the parts were there. I like the looks of yours, I may have to go back and study this one and make a low ball offer on it.

Pressman
09-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Richhodge66 the Dunbar and Herter's Model 9 do not have adapters for shotgun dies. They won't work. So, if you go look at that old press take your camara, we need pictures as it may be something even more unusual.

Ken

Wayne Smith
09-02-2011, 07:46 PM
I think I like my Brown Bear better, three stations. Just as strong.

richhodg66
09-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Richhodge66 the Dunbar and Herter's Model 9 do not have adapters for shotgun dies. They won't work. So, if you go look at that old press take your camara, we need pictures as it may be something even more unusual.

Ken

It resembled that style pretty closely, but I sure can't say with any certainty who made it. I am curious now, they really sounded like they wanted to get rid of it cheap and I somehow managed to successfully resist the urge to take on another project, LOL. That doesn't seem to happen to me often enough. I won't be getting back there for a while, but if it's still there, I will certainly have a closer look.

dromia
09-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Lovely presses and a fine restoration job, thank you for sharing it with us.

Sixgun Symphony
09-04-2011, 05:15 AM
I am glad to see such good equipment being restored.

:cast_boolits:

Roundnoser
09-04-2011, 08:50 AM
This thread is probably a good place to mention this...A Dunbar press just showed up on Ebay if anyone is interested.

richhodg66
09-23-2011, 05:32 PM

Ken

This one was a Herters model 9, I went and looked at it today. It had a set of Lachmiller dies for 12 gauge and a sleeve in the hole to take regular dies so I can only assume it had been drilled out for the Lachmillers. The guy also had made a replacement piece for it out of bar stock that was threaded for regular dies.

It's rusted and will require some soaking to get it going. The old man who owns the store wasn't in and the other guy didn't know what he wanted for it, so it'll be for another trip if I pick it up, but I am rather intrigued. Talk about overbuilt, that is one strong press!

I have a couple of cell phone pics, I'll have to post them later.

Pressman
09-24-2011, 06:27 AM
I have a friend and fellow collector who has a Model 9 with three holes. Seems a previous owner wanted three die stations and added a third hole in the center. It can be done.

After setting unwanted for years Model 9's are going up in price on eBay at a rapid rate. Even out selling the Dunbar.
Go for it if you can.
Ken

richhodg66
09-25-2011, 04:52 PM
This one will take some work. It has enough surface rust that it doesn't move, though not so bad that some PB blaster or similar stuff on it for a few hours wouldn't get it going again. I like the strength and obvious power it has, there would be no reloading task I can think of that a press like that couldn't handle. I may have to make a trip back over there this week, unfortunately, muzzle loader season is going on and I want to do as much time in the woods as I can.

Anybody know the worth of that set of Lachmiller 12 gage dies? I'm thinking I could get the whole set up for what those are worth.

LUBEDUDE
09-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Very nice, I enjoy the old beefy stuff as well.

Thanks for sharing!

richhodg66
12-28-2012, 08:58 PM
I'd forgotten about this thread. I bought that Herter's Model 9 today and dissassembled it after some liquid wrench soaking.

One question, the linkages on the sides that make the ram go up and down. I hate to sound stupid, but how do the pins or whatever at each joint come out? Do they have to be drifted out or something? Most everything else was very straight forward.

Kevin Rohrer
12-29-2012, 02:56 PM
One question, the linkages on the sides that make the ram go up and down. I hate to sound stupid, but how do the pins or whatever at each joint come out? Do they have to be drifted out or something? Most everything else was very straight forward.

If your '9' is the same thing as my Dunbar (and Pressman says there was some type of relationship between the two companies, as the presses are identical), the 5/8" (as I recall) bolts that hold the arms to the press are unscrewed using a hex-wrench.

I replied to your thread elsewhere. Let's converse there.

STP22
12-29-2012, 08:28 PM
I acquired my Dunbar from a show vendor. I had to wait a year after asking him, as he had tired of taking such older presses to shows because no one showed interest in such. I had seen an early advertisement in my assortment of early gun mags. It was in very good shape, but I stripped it apart and cleaned it as I tend to do with early loading presses (diies too). I had one shellholder adapter and had to order a second to fully use it.
It`s a joy to use. Have my eye open for another with the Dunbar nameplate.

Reagrds,

Scott

Randy C
12-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Very nice work , I love old presses

o6Patient
12-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Very nice presses and restoration; all steel, bronze bushings, beefy toggles, whoo.. whats not to like?

RJOY
10-09-2013, 04:40 PM
see link for cad files

https://grabcad.com/library/dundar-reloding-presspress-1

bstone5
10-09-2013, 05:17 PM
RJOY

Are the files in SolidWorks format?
If they are in SolidWorks could I get a copy of the part and assembly files.

Pm to follow

RJOY
10-09-2013, 09:30 PM
This is a wok in progress
Drawings to come soon in dxf