PDA

View Full Version : Rendered tin and lead this week.

trk
09-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Tonight I cast two 40 lb bread pans full of WW from rendering about 2/3 a bucket full. Last couple of days I did over a hundred pounds of tin (96%tin 3.5% silver and 0.5% copper). Just put it into big bricks as I didn't have that much time after work to clean ALL the crud from it. Next will be comparing various methods of fluxing to see which is both the easiest and cleanest results in the shortest time.

Suo Gan
09-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Tonight I cast two 40 lb bread pans full of WW from rendering about 2/3 a bucket full. Last couple of days I did over a hundred pounds of tin (96%tin 3.5% silver and 0.5% copper). Just put it into big bricks as I didn't have that much time after work to clean ALL the crud from it. Next will be comparing various methods of fluxing to see which is both the easiest and cleanest results in the shortest time.

I NEED some BIG bricks of tin!!!:cbpour: 100 pounds would last awhile!

trk
09-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Remelted everything; casting into smaller ingots - muffin tins and others - about 1/4 lb for tin and full cup-cake size for WW.

Used borax. Sprinkled it on top. Not sure if there is any chemical danger involved (Felix would KNOW). But it seemed to work well, floating and covering the top, 'bonding' with the crud that came up when stirred.

It was VERY easy to remove when it got in the way and was VERY easy to separate from the metal.

runfiverun
09-04-2010, 10:31 PM
borax is the main ingredient in marvelux.
the biggest threat is it attracts moisture.

trk
09-04-2010, 11:48 PM
AHHHHH HAH!

It is no problem then, as I'm smelting and casting ingots outdoors.

It's also CHEAP, and left the iron ingot moulds CLEANER than when I started.

We'll see by experience in the near future if any gets carried over onto the ingots and beyond.

THanks!

fryboy
09-05-2010, 07:24 PM
by attracting moisture it also does it to the ladle, the ingot molds and the sides of the pot after done , it can translate to rust or even the tinsel fairy comin callin' if say a ladle is dunked cold into a new melted molten pot , the moisture will burn off the side of the pot as it's warming up , not so much the molds as they are usually cold when starting , and possibly the ladle , let it warm up on top of the melt before stirring !! it shouldnt bother the ingots too much and it does make a great flux !!