PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

JesterGrin_1
09-03-2010, 01:05 PM
With the cost what it is now for Shot and primers for shot shells is it worth it money wise to get into reloading shot gun shells?

I mainly use 20G and 12G with 7.5 and 9 shot for bird hunting and some trap and skeet for practice.

I was thinking of getting the Lee Loader for these two loads?

Thoughts would be very welcome. :)

JIMinPHX
09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
With the cost of loaded shells these days, yes, it is still worth reloading, even with the high price of primers, powder & shot.

That's my opinion anyway.

If you would otherwise buy the value pack boxes of cheap shells, than you will not save much money on 12 & 20 ga, but the quality of your reloads will be better. If you compare the price of AA shells to your reloads, then you will save a fair amount. If you look at any of the smaller shells below 20 ga, then the price difference will be huge.

How many shells do you go through?

JesterGrin_1
09-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Maybe 20 to 30 boxes a year. And how many reloads can you get from the Hulls?

BoolitBill
09-03-2010, 02:47 PM
I would say yes it is worth it even at 20 or 30 boxes a year. If you reload any amount of buckshot or slugs then it is definitely worth it.

JIMinPHX
09-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Lets do a little quick math using round numbers

1 pound of powder - $20
About 20 grains of powder per shell – 7000/20= 350 shells per pound
$20/350 = $.057/shell. Lets say that powder costs 6 cents per shell.

Primers $3.50/100 = 3.5 cents each.

Shot - $32 per 25# bag (25# = 400oz)
$32/400 = $.08/oz
1 oz of shot = 8 cents

Wads 500/$10 = $.02 each

$.06 + $.035 + $.08 + $.02 = 19.5 cents each shell x 25 shells = $4.875/box
Lets call it $5/box

One pound of powder, 400 primers, 1 bag of shot, & 1 bag of wads will cost about $75 & give you enough material to make up 14 boxes of shells, with some materials left over.
You can do a little better on component prices if you buy in larger quantities.

Compared to the cheap bulk stuff at Walmart, you just about break even on price, but your quality will be better & your load strength will be exactly what you want it to be. Compared to $9/box for AA shells these days, you are doing well on price.

If you load your own buck shot or slugs, the savings is obvious compared to $1/shell for store bought.

I’ve just loaded the same .410 Win HS hull for the 10th time & it still looks OK. I haven’t messed with 12 ga AA or Rem hulls enough to give you an opinion on hull life for those. With the cheap bulk box Universal hulls, I use them 1 time & throw them away.

JesterGrin_1
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Thank You for the great info. :).

dogbert41
09-03-2010, 06:57 PM
For slug shooting, it's the only way to go. I buy those Wallyworld packs for bird shot, but make my own slug and round ball loads. It's actually a LOT OF FUN.

JesterGrin_1
09-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Thank you Dogbert but I have no need for Slug or Round Ball loads as down in TEXAS we use a rifle lol. So my reloading would be intended for Bird Hunting. :)

mac1911
09-03-2010, 10:10 PM
You really need to buy in bulk supply to gain anything
even make your own shot /slugs for more savings

you can load all different types of load with out relying on a shop/store to have what you need.
I shoot trap and purchase bulk loads of supply to reload 10,000 rounds @ my shooting rate thats about 2- 3 years of shooting. last purchase price got me @ just under 4.00/25

JesterGrin_1
09-03-2010, 11:51 PM
You know I did wonder if there was a simple ladle that I could use with only 1 or two spouts since I do not need that much shot at any one time?

On a plus side I have a bunch of TightGroup on hand that can be used for the 12Ga. :)

shotman
09-04-2010, 03:39 AM
at that many per year I would buy them. there is a little more to add to jims estimate. getting supplies and the reloader , bushings , tightgroup is not a good choice for shotshell, too fine , so your wads and shot will change

lylejb
09-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I was thinking of getting the Lee Loader for these two loads?

I'll have to disagree with you on that point.

A MEC 600jr single stage shotshell press is a TON faster / easier / better than trying to hammer them out on a lee loader. I think you'll soon get frustrated or disappointed trying to do shotshells in any kind of volume on a LEE. I know I would.

I would advise looking for a used MEC press ( i've seen lots of them in 12 ga on craigslist / newspaper for $50 - $75) The smaller gauges are harder to find used.

It's well worth the time / frustration saved

Back in my trap shooting days, I loaded 10,000 ++ rounds on a MEC 600jr. They work well, they're just not as fast / fancy as the progre$$ive presses.

It would have drove me nuts to try to load that much on a lee loader.

I know Lee also does make an inexpensive shotshell press, the load all. I haven't tried one, I have the MEC.

link to the 600jr at midway, but I would look for a used one if I could.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=389536

HTH

Firebricker
09-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Google shot shell reloading cost calculater it will tell you what you save per box and how many box's of ammo to cover your cost of equipment. I had a Lee load all a long time ago and it's will turn out good shotshell's. I like my Mec better but to keep costs down a load all is hard to beat. FB

Frosty Boolit
09-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Consider that promotional target loads are cheap but 1-1/4 oz. field loads are usally about $15 per box of 25 where I live. I should never have to buy them again!

phaessler
09-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Thank you Jim, I used to load 10 boxes a week, whent I shot skeet weekly, and 20 years ago it was worth it , but for 10-15 boxes a years, cant beat a sale a Dick's (w/rebates) or Wallyworld.
Slugs on the other hand, I have never bought a box of factory slugs yet, and I shoot 100-150a year.
Pete

turbo1889
09-04-2010, 10:08 PM
At this point in time with prices as they are if you only want to load 2-3/4" 12ga. & 20ga. target/upland-game-bird type shot loads; then no it is not worth it to reload.

But if you are going to load any kind of heavy hunting load (lead shot field loads, non-toxic shot loads, buck-shot loads, turkey loads, slug loads, etc.) or are going to load any other shell size besides 12ga. & 20ga. 2-3/4" shells then reloading is indeed worth it.

From what you have said so far I believe you may be in the first category rather then the second. Don’t get me wrong I’d never discourage anyone from loading their own even if they only break even on the price; just answering your question from purely a money + hassle perspective which I believe is the question you are asking.

oldtoolsniper
09-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Here is my take on this.

I have 13 or 14 mec reloaders. I reload for 10, 12, 20, and .410. Reloading for a shotgun has the same goals as reloading for rifle and pistol. You want a load that works for the situation you intend to use it for. The range, the intended target, the terrain and the weather all have an effect on what you are expecting a given load to do in any firearm.

I take each of my shotguns out and build loads until I get what I am looking for with that shotgun. I can tailor the loads for exactly what I need. As an example I have an 12 ga double that I load #6 spreader loads in the mod barrel and #5 buffered in the full barrel when hunting early season pheasant here in Iowa. They flush at your feet or jump at 30-40 yards and I have no problem with either because I know what the gun does with those loads at that range. You can't buy a spreader load off the shelf that I am aware of. Try and find buffered # 5's at wallmart.

I load steel for ducks and geese. I shoot a lot of 10 gauge and it is next to impossible to find decent loads that pattern the way they should in a 10 ga. I load my own and with steel I can take a large Canadian at 70 yards with reloads. With factory loads I would not even attempt to shoot a clay pigeon because the pattern was so lousy.

You can build a load that will out perform anything you can buy. I don't care what the fancy boxes say or who endorses the shell you can beat it with reloads. I stack felts in my loads to build proper column height for crimp and I doubt there is a machine that is capable of doing that. Proper crimp is the key to good ignition.

The pattern board will show you what you need to do just like a target in cast boolit shooting, you want accuracy then roll your own. You just want to hear a bang then go get a wally world value pack and bang away!

Last but not least the saying "I didn't drive this far to miss" comes to mind.

missionary5155
09-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Good morning
I like the capability of making my loads to the recipe I like.
I shoot crows and I settled on a 50-50 mix of #4 an #6 1-1/8 ounce. Try and buy that on a shelf.

hoosierlogger
09-07-2010, 07:34 PM
It is definatley worth it to reload for .410, I think 12 and 20 gauge you would break even.

JesterGrin_1
09-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Thank You all for all of the great info. But since I mostly just hunt Dove a couple of times a year I feel at this time it is just not worth the time and cost to start reloading for the 12Ga.

sargenv
09-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I have the complete setup for 12 and 20 and unless I am doing something special, I just get my target shotshells on sale.. even though I have AMPLE stocks for doing it myself.. I can probably load up several thousand rounds with OF hulls and shoot them and leave em and be good for 10 years.. If I start shooting 3-gun again, I might start loading in bulkf or practice.. I can make a 7/8 oz load that cycles my Gold that is great for practice, and then I'd just buy the factory Wally world stuff for matches since I can shoot it and not worry about the hulls. That stuff is usually either 1 or 1 1/8 oz and 7.5 which is what we mostly use any way.