PDA

View Full Version : shotgun chamber length

T-Bird
09-02-2010, 03:33 PM
I have an original Baker hammerless double that has one of the non modern steels in the barrel. It is the kind that appears to have rings, anyway, it seems to be in real good shape, and I want to shoot some blackpowder shells in it. I have no way of measuring the chamber length. It will allow the chambering of an intact 3" shell so my question is does this mean that the chamber is probably safe to shoot 2 3/4 in. shells in? (black powder) Shoot straight, T-Bird

pietro
09-02-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't think so.

IIRC, most of those old shotguns were short-chambered (2-1/2"), and just because ANY shell will chamber is not a true indicator of chamber length.

For instance, the barrel(s) you've inserted the longer shell into might have long or no throats, or be overbored......................

The only accurate way to determine the chambering would be to measure it with the proper measuring tool - NOT a small ruler, etc.

Some, but by no means all, gunsmiths have the correct measuring tool.

John Taylor
09-02-2010, 10:44 PM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=2483/pid=593/sku/12_Gauge___Chamber_2_3_4___3_1_2_

T-Bird
09-03-2010, 08:37 AM
thanks for the info guys, shoot straight, T-Bird

T-Bird
09-03-2010, 06:30 PM
I just ordered the chamber length gauge from Brownell's

T-Bird
09-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Chamber length gauge says.........2 3/4 in.!!!! Yea! I'm going to load it with 80 gr pyrodex, and 1oz #9 in some plastic hulls that I saved in case the chamber measured 2 3/4 in. and wait on a dove shoot. Anyone want to buy a slightly used chamber gauge? Naw nevermind,keeping it will give me an excuse to buy another old gun. Can't have a useless piece of equipment laying around the house unused! Shoot Straight, T-Bird

John Taylor
09-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Plastic is not good with black powder, don't know how well it will do with the Pyrodex. With black it will melt the plastic and leave some stuck in the bore.

elk hunter
09-13-2010, 10:01 PM
T-Bird,

Check at your local trap range to see if you can purchase some used Federal brand paper cases. Many trap shooters use them because they feel they give softer recoil than the plastic ones do.

You want to be careful, as shooting old shotguns can be addictive.

T-Bird
09-15-2010, 07:40 AM
I willsee how Pyrodex does with plastic, I already have some loaded. I didn't even know they still made paper shells except for cowboy shooting etc. Not sure if we have a trap range anywhere near here. Shoot Straight, T-Bird

T-Bird
09-24-2010, 09:18 AM
FWIW pyrodex does not melt holes in plastic hulls. I will load these shells with AA hulls that I would have otherwise discarded after several shots. The Baker patterns pretty well by the way. Shoot Straight, T-Bird

T-Bird
10-01-2010, 02:14 PM
shot it 8 times yesterday, killed 4 doves. That's better that with my o/u. I have noticed a gap between the rib and the bbl- esp the left. There is a smaall ( I think) amt of rust building up in there. How involved is it for a gunsmith to remove the rib, clean this out, and resolder? So far, after it's bath, I sprayed it with WD40, let it soak, then wiped it off. Just drives me nuts not being able to see how bad it is. Shoot Straight, T-Bird