PDA

View Full Version : PB bullet with GC--------comparison/experiences

RobS
09-02-2010, 12:44 PM
I know that PB GC's are available and dies are being made for various calibers and with that said, what are the experiences with this setup............How does it all compare to a traditional GC bullet design? The GC is to protect the base of the bullet from expanding gasses/pressures etc. but what about the small space between the GC and the bullets drive band? I've read this is important to help with lead fouling as it gives a place for the fouling to accumulate. As I see a PB GC'd bullet wouldn't have this gap between the GC and the drive band. Is this a problem; has anyone found this to be an issue with a PB GC bullet or are there any other issues???

Just some thoughts as I decide on the possibilities anyway.

1hole
09-02-2010, 05:34 PM
If you mean what I think you mean I rather suspect that small gap is simply a way to insure that the checks will install correctly even if the the skirts are a tad long. The idea that the gap is to collect fouling is a bit of a stretch.

RobS
09-04-2010, 04:11 AM
Anyone out there shooting PB gas checks on their boolits???

ReloaderFred
09-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I will be in .44 Magnum, but I'm waiting for the die to be made at this time. Once I give it a try, I'll post the results.

Hope this helps.

Fred

RobS
09-04-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm awaiting the 45 cal PB check maker myself and was just seeing if those 35 cal guys had anything to say. Maybe even Pat might chime in with some info who knows, the thread is still young................

helice
09-22-2010, 11:16 AM
In Veral Smith's book on casting (Chapter 3 Page 14) he refers to the scraping concept. He believes it to be an important issue and therefore builds a long check shank onto his gas checked boolits. He liked the Hornady checks best and opined that beer can checks were too soft or too thin to do much scraping. As I have searched this forum there appears to be a lot of evidence that putting a check on a plain base boolit makes a big difference. I have procured drawings from Ed Smith and have a machinist friend who will attempt to build one for an LBT 359/240 WLN-PB that I shoot in an M-600 in 350 Rem Mag. Can't wait to try it myself. Karl

PatMarlin
09-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Here ya go right here Rob:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=93833

Bob J
09-23-2010, 07:33 AM
I will be in .44 Magnum, but I'm waiting for the die to be made at this time. Once I give it a try, I'll post the results.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I would go for a 44 Mag PB gas check.... Is Pat making yours?

PatMarlin
09-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Yep Fred's waiting along with myself and everyone else to get the 44 and all 40 calibers in production. I'm working fast on it as possible.

One of my holdups is that I maxed out the memory on my CNC already. So I had to buy a computer for that and I'm waiting on 9pin Din connectors to get here so I can solder up a cable and get the 2 to talk with each other. Then I'll be programming via the computer and have memory O-plenty.

ReloaderFred
09-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the update, Pat. At least I know I can stop staring at the mailbox for awhile......

Hang in there and keep up the good work.

I do have a question, though. Do you know which material might be best for the PB gas checks, so I can look around for material? I'll also need to know which thicknesses to look for.

Thanks,
Fred

PatMarlin
09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the update, Pat. At least I know I can stop staring at the mailbox for awhile......

Hang in there and keep up the good work.

I do have a question, though. Do you know which material might be best for the PB gas checks, so I can look around for material? I'll also need to know which thicknesses to look for.

Thanks,
Fred

Money saving thin materials, beverage can AL, etc., .004-.008, and you can push the envelope thickness both ways depending on your boolit.

For copper check out stormcopper.com, and look at what they call "Copper Foil".

ReloaderFred
09-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Pat. I'll get an order in.

Fred

RobS
09-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks Pat

I figured this thread would take off after the 35 PB check maker made its way out. Really great news to hear gentlemen.

Here ya go right here Rob:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=93833

.30/30 Guy
09-26-2010, 10:20 AM
My thoughts and opinions on your origional question.

Some of the newer Saeco molds have a short gas check shank. Factory checks do not leave much of a gap when seated on these Saeco mold boolits.

Factory checks do not have a sharp outside edge. The edge has a small radius to it. They will tend to iron-in fouling more than scrape it off.

Checks formed from thin materials will have the clasic bottle cap shape. When they are installed on the boolit, actually swaged, there are a number of "pressure points" than may have a scraping effect.

Checks formed with a Checkmaker can have a sharp edge either on the inside or outside of the check depending on how you put them in the forming die.

I am impressed about how the PB checks look on the boolits.

Denver
09-26-2010, 02:40 PM
I've made 4 of the Freechex 111 dies so far using the drawings from edsmith. Thanks again ed for the drawings. The last is for a check for the 454-250 SWC GB boolit. I changed the dimensons a little and came up with a check that has a longer skirt that covers the whole bottom drive band. Shoots great in my 1894 Marlin Limited 45 Colt. I'm getting the bottle cap effect using the aluminum material I have that's .009 thick. Haven't run across the heavier .014 stuff yet to try. The aluminum I have is some I bought at Home Depot and is brass color on one side and silver on the other. Also is quite stiff and springy. The dies I made work great. I don't think I'll buy many more GCs in the future.

:lovebooli

Bob J
09-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Have been following this thread with great interest....

The potential to use aluminum can material for all my checks as well as have the option to check or run PB for any of my bullets would be huge.....