PDA

View Full Version : square sided or round wads ?

kennisondan
09-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I have seen round beggie wads, think I understand that card wads are round... but in one of the reloading books it refers to sqare wads and gives the dimensions or weight .. it appears to me that those square wads in a round cartridge is going to have corners coming up the interior of the cartrige near the base of the bullet... this confuses me in a game that requires consistency it would seem a round cut to size wad wouldbe superior in terms of ease of insertion and consistency.
what is that all about ?
dk

craveman85
09-01-2010, 11:45 PM
ive seen them refer to that as well. not sure why. usually it says .5 grain for 45-70. extra corners would just be another thing for me to screw up in my reloading so ill stick with round wads.

nicholst55
09-02-2010, 12:49 AM
ive seen them refer to that as well. not sure why. usually it says .5 grain for 45-70. extra corners would just be another thing for me to screw up in my reloading so ill stick with round wads.

Think I'm with you, craveman85 - unless someone can show me a really good reason to go square.

Boz330
09-02-2010, 08:43 AM
It sounds like they are referring to a square of dacron to hold the powder in place on a smokeless load where the case is less than half full.

Bob

SharpsShooter
09-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Boz is correct. Little squares of dacron have no place in BP cartridge loading. Round vegetable fiber,cork LDPE, felt and newspaper are the norm.

SS