PDA

View Full Version : Need a casting setup.

Rich219
09-01-2010, 08:25 PM
So I'm going to start casting in the next month or two at the latest. I have nothing except for a propane tank. I'd rather spend a bit more money to have equipment that is quicker to use and more efficient.

What type of burner setup should I purchase? I'm going to start buying a piece of equipment every week or two.

buck1
09-01-2010, 09:03 PM
A turkey fryer is a good start with a Cast Iron dutch oven.

jsizemore
09-01-2010, 09:08 PM
A turkey fryer is a good start with a Cast Iron dutch oven.

That's what I use to turn my WW into ingots.

mold maker
09-01-2010, 10:04 PM
+1 on the turkey fryer and cast dutch oven. It's basic, cheap and does the job of smelting. Wally World kitchen wares dept supplies most of the dippers and stirrers.
I use Lyman and LEE furnaces to cast boolits.

Dillon
09-02-2010, 08:48 AM
flea markets and thrift stores are the best for getting most things, ladles, cast iron pots, and hot plates! thrift stores always have hot plates I got one yesterday for 2 dollars.

44fanatic
09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Here is what I have for smelting:
Propane turkey fryer (already had it)
8qt cast iron pot/dutch oven (make sure your fryer is sturdy, this can hold over 150lbs of melted lead)
gravy ladle (pouring ingots) ($30 at a hardware store but can be found cheaper)
Large spoon with holes (removing the clips) ($3 at wallyworld)
Large spoon w/o holes (stirring and scraping the dross) ($3 at wallyworld)
wooden paint stirrers (fluxing and stirring) ($.25 ea at wally world)
Sawdust (pet bedding) (fluxing) ($8 at wally world)
2 or more muffin pans (ingot molds) ($10ea at wally world for heavy duty pans)
Safety glasses (DO NOT SMELT WITHOUT WEARING)
Leather gloves (also have welders gloves but very dont use them) (picked up the welders gloves at Harbor freight for $12)

I always wear jeans and boots while smelting/casting. Probably wrong in not wearing a long sleeve shirt.

Elmar66
09-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Where is a good place to get the lead for smelting? Most of the tire shops around town I have found are locked into some "Recycling" program that comes and picks up all of their old WW.

Other good sources?

mold maker
09-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Scrap yards, Roofing contractors, Old plumbing outfits, are all good sources. Look into hospital isotope containers. Their not hazardous (radioactive) except their made of none PC lead.

44fanatic
09-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Where is a good place to get the lead for smelting? Most of the tire shops around town I have found are locked into some "Recycling" program that comes and picks up all of their old WW.

Other good sources?

You are not gonna find much at the "chain" stores but it does not hurt to ask, many are privately owned and may sell you the used WW's. There are many small places that dont have the volume for recycling (not worth their effort).
If they touch tires in any way, stop and ask. I have a couple of places that I get WW's from. One place I get about 30-50lbs a month, another I get 10lbs. Other places reuse WW's, but for the price of donuts you may be able to get the clipped ends, stick ons and unusable WW's. Be willing to provide a bucket for their "trash", your gold.