PDA

View Full Version : M69 Romanian

Freightman
09-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Got to Bragg a little, I have three big pecans the squirrels make a mess on my patio I shoot as many as I can as they are a plague and not native to a treeless plain. Until someone years ago brought a "cute" little thing and let him and her go then the explosion, neighbor spent $1500 getting his car rewired the other spent several hundred on his power box wire they ate. So no one is going to turn me in for target practice.
The shot was hard as I couldn't get a shot at him from close as he was on the power pole and staying on the other side, so I went to the front of my shop and looked, he had moved to the top of the 45" pole and I was at 35' away on the ground. All I could see was his eye and ear took aim and squeezed, down he came shot through the eye. I was using some 20gr Super Colibri Aquila ammo, works perfect in the M69 but not in my MossBerg (doesn't come out) but always comes out and hits what I aim at with the M69. It is much quieter than my B-B gun.
This is the second shot like that I have made in a week, Deer season is coming and my Shiloh is sighted in, much better practice than paper and a whole lot more fun.

Hardcast416taylor
09-02-2010, 03:01 PM
So, that explains why Bullwinkle is asking around about where Rocky is??Robert

Freightman
09-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Yep!!!!

NickSS
09-05-2010, 04:04 AM
I went squirrel hunting this past month and had a great two day trip to the north cascades. We have a type of small red squirrel out here that in places is all over the place. I got enough of them to make a big pot full of squirrel stew after I bones the meat. As there is not much meat on these I had to shoot a mess of them to get my big pot of Stew made. I used my CZ Scout rifle and only took head shots. A Winchester HV 40 gr solid works great for that.

looseprojectile
09-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Freightman, you got a scope on yours?
My model 69 has the straight cuts on top of the receiver. Not dovetailed. I put a Leupold 3 to 9
Vari X II on it in clamp on rings and it is the only .22 rifle I have seen that shoots the Aguila SSS 60 grain ammo with any accuracy. Go through a rabbit like an arrow. Must be something to do with the twist. It is really a hassle to load shorts in. Won't feed from the magazine. Heck you can't even load the magazine with shorts.
My model 69 came to me free cause the magazine was missing and the previous owner couldn't find a magazine for it at the local gunstore. Got one at the next gunshow.

Life is good

jednlulu113
12-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Hey loose, got a pic of your scope mounted on your Romy? I'm wondering "how to" mount one on mine, without making modifications! Thanks, Jed

looseprojectile
12-12-2010, 06:16 PM
clamp on 22 rings. I hope I got em tight enough to hold.
May have to dremel out the grooves.

Life is good

Jim Sheldon
12-13-2010, 09:44 AM
clamp on 22 rings. I hope I got em tight enough to hold.
May have to dremel out the grooves.

Life is good
Some people have had luck with clamp on rings fitting that way, some not. Mine didn't work so rather than trying to dremel out the grooves I wound up drilling & tapping the receiver. Found a website where some guy had done it himself and took pix of the process. Came in real handy and since I had never done it before I decided to try it myself - http://www.aumih.info/Docs/m69.html

On mine, that flat top isn't really flat either. It has approximately the curvature or a Ruger 10-22 receiver, so I used a Weaver rail in the 10-22 hole pattern to set up the holes. That worked really well and with the BSA "Sweet 22" scope on it, it literally IS a "tack driver". They certainly hit on the right barrel/rifling combination when they built these things!

Jim