PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 300 gr in BFR 45-70

44man
09-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Ok, I went down and shot these with 4759. I started at 31 gr's working up to 34.5 gr's. I used my old Federal brass that I annealed, Fed 155 LP mag primers and a tuft of dacron on the powder.
There are several sweet spots, 31, 32.5 and 34 but I would stay away from 34 as after that the group really opened to 2-15/16". From 31 to 32.5 groups were all good but the 32.5 gr load put 3 in 9/16". 31 was 1".
No pressure signs at all and when I opened the gate and tipped up the gun, almost all cases fell out. At 34.5 there was a tiny bit of flattening of the primer, hardly noticeable. 31 hit below the bullseye and as I increased the powder there was a steady, even climb in elevation. No drastic changes.
I shot at one bull and just slipped a new paper behind it for each load. The center was torn up good. I am using the Ultra dot.
It looks like 32.5 will be my hunting load. I would guess 1600 to 1700 FPS. I don't have enough to chronograph before hunting season.
By the way these were shot at 50 yd's. I think 4759 is the best powder for this gun, the sucker will SHOOT.

45 2.1
09-07-2006, 12:51 PM
44man-
Back in the 70s when I first started shooting the 4570 in a rifle, I had a load that used 2400 with this bullet. I think it was 32 gr., but maybe less. It was a top end load for the powder and produced quite a few "one tiny hole" groups that were easily covered completely by a nickel at 75 yds. You might want to see if it does for you.

44man
09-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I have some 2400 and will give it a try. You have to remember that this is a revolver with a red dot that covers 2" at 50 yd's, 3" at 75 and 4" at 100 yd's. I am amazed at the groups it will shoot.
Some thoughts about the barrel quality of the BFR! I have shot about 85 jacketed bullets this week and went to clean out the copper because I have a bunch of cast to shoot. I first ran a patch of Hoppe's, then dried it. Then some M PRO 7 to get the carbon out. I then soaked the bore with Sweets. The first patch was just a little blue in spots. I soaked it again and the patch was clear. I can see no metal fouling in the bore and it is ready for cast.
I like 4759 because in the thousands and thousands of shots I have fired, there have been no surprises, no sticky cases and no fliers. It burns very clean too. Another thing I noticed was after 21 shots today, the barrel was not hot, only warm. With 4198 and 4227, I could not touch the barrel. If 2400 equals it, I will be surprised.

45 2.1
09-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I have some 2400 and will give it a try. You have to remember that this is a revolver with a red dot that covers 2" at 50 yd's, 3" at 75 and 4" at 100 yd's. I am amazed at the groups it will shoot.
Some thoughts about the barrel quality of the BFR! I have shot about 85 jacketed bullets this week and went to clean out the copper because I have a bunch of cast to shoot. I first ran a patch of Hoppe's, then dried it. Then some M PRO 7 to get the carbon out. I then soaked the bore with Sweets. The first patch was just a little blue in spots. I soaked it again and the patch was clear. I can see no metal fouling in the bore and it is ready for cast.
I like 4759 because in the thousands and thousands of shots I have fired, there have been no surprises, no sticky cases and no fliers. It burns very clean too. Another thing I noticed was after 21 shots today, the barrel was not hot, only warm. With 4198 and 4227, I could not touch the barrel. If 2400 equals it, I will be surprised.

I was shooting a 1895 Marlin with the original Fat barrel sights at the time which covered a lot of area. I haven't shot a jacketed round in the 4570 since 1981, but that load was the best of the bunch. I agree that SR4759 is "the" cast powder for the 4570 also. Hope it works for you.

jar-wv
09-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Just curious. Did you chronograph any of those loads?

jar

44man
09-07-2006, 10:22 PM
I didn't chrono them because I only had a little time to shoot and taking everything down the hill takes 2 trips. I have a few bullets left so I will just shoot over the chrono in the yard when I get them loaded. I know 31 gr's with my 317 gr cast gets 1535 fps.

50 Caliber
09-13-2006, 04:51 AM
I also have a BFR, mines in 50 AE though. I think they are better guns for the money than a Freedom Arms. I can shoot 1" @ 70 yards with 400gr Hornady XTP in my 50AE BFR and slightly better groups in my DEP 50AE.

44man
09-13-2006, 08:46 AM
The BFR's are amazing. I see a lot of bad comments about them on other sites. They are not as pretty as a Freedom and have the rubber grips some guys don't like. I would put the rubber grips on them anyway if they came with fancy panels, these are shooters, not status cymbals. The bores are smooth, proper diameters and have the proper twists for each caliber. The chambers are in line with the bore. The cylinders are long enough for any boolits.
We were playing at 500 yd's on my half size buffalo one day. I didn't want to adjust my red dot because it was sighted for deer. I kept aiming higher and higher at a spot on a tree in the distance until I hit steel. I estimate a 26 foot drop with the 45-70 and my cast boolit. I shot two more and all three were in less then 3". Two of the shots were only 2" apart. I can't do that with my 45-70 rifle!
With my .475 I kept 3 out of 5 shots on a 6" steel swinger at 400 yd's by aiming at the top of the 500 meter berm. I kind of blew away the minds of the rifle shooters that were shooting at it.
In both cases I was shooting Creedmore off my leg.
If I was rich I would have one of each BFR to shoot and one of each of the Freedom arms guns to hang on the wall. I like the Freedoms but they are picky, picky, picky!

Four Fingers of Death
09-13-2006, 08:57 AM
I never really fancied one of these, but saw a 30/30 today. Very imposing revolver. I have always referred to them as big, f&*^%g and ridiculous. But like a wart it grows on you. Isaw a pic of the shorter one and fancy one in 454, but the 45/70 or 444 would probably be a nicer gun to handle. MIck