PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Cooker

smokemjoe
09-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I picked up a old turkey cooker for $5.00 at a flea market, I had 2- 5 gallon buckets of wheel wts. that were about 2 in. from being full and all small wts., Using a dutch oven with a cake cover cut out to fit over the sides of the pot. I melted this all down in 2 hrs. I got 232 lbs. of lead, a 5 gallon bucket just about full of clips, 50 lbs. got $3.00 at the junk yard.
I have wasted many hrs. melting lead with other gas burners, Get a turkey burner, The btus that they give off is alot, so much that I cracked a stainless pot cooking a liquid also.

troy_mclure
09-02-2010, 08:36 AM
yep, ive got a home built "crayfish cooker" thats the same as a turkey cooker.

mine will easily hold 150+lbs of lead, and it melts fast. gets to just over 1k(f) too.

cajun shooter
09-02-2010, 10:13 AM
It's all in the regulator and the BTU's that the burner is made for. A lot of people will go out and buy the fish cooker which is about 25,000 BTU The Turkey fryer that you are calling it is also referred to here in Louisiana as a boiling pot burner. They will boil a 100 QT pot full of crawfish in under 30 minutes. Or fry a turkey that weighs 12 lbs and is injected in about 45 minutes.

longranger
09-02-2010, 10:35 AM
I started with a Turkey fryer about 7 years ago to do everything,smelt,cast and alloy.40 lb lead pot fits perfect several hundred boolits before needing to add lead. easy to keep temp,whats not to like.