PDA

View Full Version : Recoil pad for a Marlin 45-70

ghh3rd
09-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm thinking about picking up a Limb Saver recoil pad for my Marlin 45-70, but am undecided between screw on or slip on. I wonder if both work equally well.

Thanks - Randy

2ndAmendmentNut
09-01-2010, 11:39 AM
I have some Limb Savers on various 12ga shotguns around the house. As far as I can tell both the slip-on and screw-on work equally well for reducing recoil. However the screw-on pads look better and stay in place better. The slip-ons can sort of twist if you mount up funny. I like the slip-on though if I want to increase the length of pull because I can just but them on over the existing recoil pad provided it is a wood or hard plastic.

What sort of pad is already on your Marlin? I ask because some of the new pads already seem to be pretty good and I doubt adding a Limb Saver will do much for you if it is a new Marlin.

btroj
09-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I have the screw on. Tames recoil a fair amount. I went back to the factory pad. Limbsaver made the length of pull just enough longer that it did not whorl for me. It was too long in a tshirt so it sure wasn't going to work in heavier winter hunting clothier- for me.
Someday I will cut the stock off a bit and go back to the limbsaver, in the meantime I just work my way to the recoil.
Brad

45r
09-01-2010, 02:01 PM
The stock pad on my XLR works great.It would work well on any Marlin and fit without any alterations I think.

BSkerj
09-03-2010, 07:04 AM
I use the slip on Limbsaver recoil pad. Really reduced the recoil and made the 95's recoil alot more tolerable under a heavy load.

docone31
09-03-2010, 07:50 AM
I am a tall person. I cut 1/4" off the buttstock, and put on a field pad.
This added 3/8", it sanded well to the buttstock. I then completely refinished my wood, foreend and buttstock.
Worked out well, and I could fire a few rounds with it.

ghh3rd
09-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Someone told me that the 1895GBL comes with a Pachmayr pad, and works well for them. Has anyone found that theirs came with this pad?