PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Scam Warning

Edward429451
09-07-2006, 10:55 AM
With all the GB's thats done here I know PayPal is used by the members quite a bit. There's a Paypal scam going on so thought to warn you guys.

Yesterday I got an E-Mail from (what I thought was) PayPal. It said michaelTX19@Yahoo.com was added to our E-Mail account for paypal...If we did not authorize him to be added to the account, click here notify paypal etc.

So I did and the first thing it asked me was to verify my account by entering my bank info (card numbers etc). I had this GB stuff in my head so figured it was a board member Honcho setting up a GB or something. I almost did it but refrained cause it just didn't ring right.

It was not real. Called paypal instead and sure enough, not them. We forwarded it to paypal and they're going to follow up on it and try to catch the guy. It looked so real, PayPal logos and all that.

If I got one, you other paypal users might also get one. Think twice and don't do it!

fatnhappy
09-07-2006, 11:27 AM
it's a common scam practice called phishing. I'm glad to see you didn't get burned.

44woody
09-07-2006, 11:43 AM
there are a bunch of them ebay paypal banks winning lotto from the uk people askinf to help get there dead husbands money out of a fouren country and the list goes on and on you have to ba careful as to what info you put on your computer they can even get to it :castmine: 44Woody

StarMetal
09-07-2006, 12:42 PM
You have to watch more then just PayPal, I'd say just about everything that requires a credit card. I just had this problem with the McAfee virus protection software company. I WAS using Viruscan Online. I have an account with McAfee and they HAD my credit card number so they could renew the subscription. Well I didn't like how they renewed it like six months in advance. So you all know how your card has an expiration date. Well my card expired and we got new cards with a new expiration date, the original number stays the same, but the little code on the back of the card changed. Well wasn't long I got an email from McAfee saying my card expired and they needed my new card information to insure protecting me from those nasty viruses out there. Well I wasn't happy with there software (it never really protected anything to tell you the truth) and not happy with their very aggressive advertising campaigning, so I didn't give it to them. I still received alot of email (remember my mention of aggressive sales) warning me about my subcription is going to expire. Well Tuesday I got an email where they said they renewed my subscription and was able to bill it to my credit card from information they had on file. Well that did it. I called them after I searched for quite sometime for their very elusive toll free number and even their elusive email address. I, of course, got a young lady that sounded like she was from India. I struggled with her through the conversation with my bad hearing and her accent. Basically told her I wasn't pleased with what McAfee had done with my card. She said you want to cancel and get a refund? I said yes. There was more to it then that, but I won't get into that. I called my credit card company next. Got an American sounding young lady, that I could hear loud and clear, and told her what happen. She says hmmmmmm, yup they can get the info somehow. Well yeah, they monitor your pc for one thing with their virus soflware. She said I could file a dispute of payment when the bill makes it to the account. She said she has it, but it's not posted to my account yet. I also wrote an email to McAfee this morning of my disapproval of their criminal activities of customer's credit cards and also of their just plain lousy company and software.

So you all be careful out there with credit cards.

Joe

Lee
09-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Google or PriceWatch for virus program or virus scan or the such. You will then find companies peddling last year version of McAfee or whatever for $6-$10. It will come in the mail on CD with a full year of free updates/upgrades. Been doing that for the last few years, no problems yet..................Lee:)

mike in co
09-07-2006, 01:38 PM
why any pro gun person would use an anti gun service like paypal or ebay , paying them money to maintain thier anti gun position is beyond me.....
skip the paypal skip ebay and stick with good ol usps mo for those that you are unsure of.

357maximum
09-07-2006, 04:22 PM
why any pro gun person would use an anti gun service like paypal or ebay , paying them money to maintain thier anti gun position is beyond me.....
skip the paypal skip ebay and stick with good ol usps mo for those that you are unsure of.

:mrgreen: :drinks: :mrgreen:

Catshooter
09-07-2006, 09:48 PM
I don't do paypal.

charger 1
09-08-2006, 05:25 AM

I've done exactly that Bro....Paynopal wont see another cent from this boy

BluesBear
09-17-2006, 05:30 AM
The biggest Pay-Pal scam is ... PAY-PAL!

Edward429451
09-17-2006, 10:52 PM
<why any pro gun person would use an anti gun service like paypal or ebay , paying them money to maintain thier anti gun position is beyond me.....
skip the paypal skip ebay and stick with good ol usps mo for those that you are unsure of.>

Uh...I plead ignorance to that. I won't use em no more. My checks are good anyway!

I know about Carl's Junior and that sucks cause those $6 burgers are good. Still don't go there...Dangit.

Old Ironsights
09-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Regardless of who it comes from...

Never click on a link in an email.

Especially if it has anything to do with money in any way.

Even if everything looks kosher in the headers.

If it has to do with an account you have at a with a bank/site, go directly to that site using your browser and hand-typed address.

Remember this one thing and you won't get HTML-virii or scammed.

Any questions? ;)

Edward429451
09-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Just one. What was it you said not to click on?

:>)

So whats the best security program to have. I'm running Mcaffee right now and we already heard about them. We had Norton before and at one point when trying to go with something else, Norton would not let us uninstall it, even manually. I didn't like that so I wound up wiping the HD.

Anti spyware, internet security, what are you guys using? Is BlackIce any good?

Old Ironsights
09-18-2006, 04:52 PM
I hate McAfee & Symantec. Too much overhead and clogs the system. Really important on Subnotebooks.

I'm a minimalist. I use Safe Computing Practices (Never click on a link in an email. Open Emails in TXT only, never use the Reading/viewing pane. Also, I use Computer Associates EZ Antivirus, (http://store.digitalriver.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Locale=en_US&id=ProductDetailsPage&SiteID=caconsum&productID=35180700&Env=BASE) a very low-overhead and thorough package that has a 30 day trial and good sales. Plus, I can buy multiple licenses at a discount, so I run it on all my office PCs.

No Spamblockers other than proper filtering in Outlook. No Spyware blockers. Just Never click on a link in an email.

Other than EZ Antivirus I occasionally do an online sweep with Trend Micro's free "Housecall" http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp and/or Spyware scan http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/ but they never find anything.

s&wshooter
09-18-2006, 06:31 PM
I quit using Norton, doesn't seem to do anything and really slows down computer. I have been using the Zone Alarm firewall and anti-virus & spyware package and it works quite well. You can try the firewall for free and see if you like it.

Bret4207
09-22-2006, 07:35 AM
You all have to do more than just the stuff mentioned. I just got my debit card hacked, probably off Ebay. So I got talking about it with one of our Investigators who does ID theft. My checks for instance have my name including middle intial, full address, drivers license number, phone number and of course bank accoount number and routing number. It takes a thief about 30 seconds to come up with my DOB and then he can become me! Your bank will only cover you for so much, and there are charges for the services. Best thing we can do is have just our first intial and last name on the check, never use an ATM not at a major bank (many are private owned and are the source of most ID theft) and keep a very close track on all your plastic accounts.

Plastic is convenient- for us and the thieves!

georgeld
10-04-2006, 02:57 AM
Right after I signed up with p/p read something about the anti situation and never used it. Every month I'd get a notice of dues fee's due. Always just junked it, kept adding up, kept junking it. Only come's quarterly now, still junk it everytime.

Just for the hell of it, when I got fed up with Lowe's, the bank and paypal about the same time. Stuck the cars inside my checkbook and tossed it all out on the parking lot.

Damned if four different times' some good samaritan came to the door after they'd found them expecting a reward. Never gave them one, but, did explain what was going on and why etc. Once they got the message they thought it was funny.

I wanted someone to load up charges' on them, or write a bunch of checks on the .59 cent balance in the checking account. Screw 'em, I was done with 'em.

Drew all my money out and that's that far as I'm concerned, just ain't gonna worry about them and what happens over it.

Attitude problems?? Reckon so. Don't figure they can do me any harm.

lar45
10-04-2006, 03:04 PM
For the phishing e-mails, you can forward them to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com
I think the FBI or someone should have a program to find and prosecute the people behind these things.

45nut
11-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Dear PayPal,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you. However, if you did not initiate the log ins, please visit PayPal as soon as possible to verify your
identity:

http://sushrut.sgpgi.ac.in/.%20/.info/Service-PayPal/Online-Service/index.htm

Verify your identity is a security measure that will ensure that you are the only person with access to the account.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,
PayPal
------------------------------------------------ ----------------
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at https://www.paypal.com/. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.

PayPal Email ID PP321

This is just another one of the thousands of scam attempts sent everyday,but yet another reason to avoid paypal.

Junior1942
11-14-2006, 05:51 PM
I think the FBI or someone should have a program to find and prosecute the people behind these things.The FBI has bigger phish to fry. Ever heard of the New Orleans Three? A few years ago while Osama's boys were learning to fly but not to land, a bunch of FBI agents spent a year investigating a 3-woman cathouse in New Orleans.