PDA

View Full Version : Mold lube ?

melloairman
08-31-2010, 09:42 PM
I have been using bees wax to lube my molds . I see that some have gone to a graphite spray and some are spraying it in the cavaties as well to get the bullets to drop easier . Is this a good produce Or is bees wax still the way to go .Marvin

geargnasher
08-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Do not put beeswax in the cavities. I wouldn't use graphite either. The best way to cast with any mould is CLEAN, and I mean squeaky clean cavities. The mould does need lubrication in other areas for best results, and that's why the Bullshop sells Bullplate sprue lube. Contact them here http://bullshop.gunloads.com/ and get some. Apply it VERY sparing ly to the mould alignment points, hinge pin, sprue plate pivot, and both sides of the sprue plate. Don't get it in the cavities or you'll be casting wrinkled boolts until you cool it off and clean it out.

If the boolits won't drop out of clean cavities, use a light tap on the handle pivot pin (NOT the mould blocks or sprue plate!). If they have to be hit hard to knock them out, you have burrs on the edge of the cavity cuts and might need to lap it a bit.

Gear

454PB
08-31-2010, 09:51 PM
I assume you're talking about Lee moulds, which include instructions to occasionally lube the sprue plate pivot screw and the alignment pins.

I haven't lubed my Lee moulds for 20 years or so. I found that no matter how careful I was, the lube migrated into the mould cavities and caused wrinkled boolits.

Many on this forum use and praise the Bullplate lube, available here:

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/

If you're talking about iron moulds, you should use no lube at all.

MtGun44
08-31-2010, 09:53 PM
+1 on Bull Plate lube. Never found the equal.

Bill

melloairman
08-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes the spruce plate pivot is the lube point that is the main issuse . It seems that no matter how carful I am some ends up in the cavity and then I have to clean it . Marvin

MtGun44
08-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Use a Q-tip JUST BARELY touched to Bull Plate lube and the excess rubbed off
on the side of the bottle neck, then wipe the bottom only of the SPRUE plate.

Loosen the sprue plate screw until it moves with only the slightest hint of drag,
lube the top of the mold and the bottom of the sprue plate, plus the alignment
features and you will be in great shape.

Bill