PDA

View Full Version : Alternative lube for Lee Aluminum mold

beetle
08-31-2010, 09:40 PM
I am sorry if there is a thread on this (there probably is), but the search function on the site is not working for me tonight. I am brand new to casting, and am gathering equipment and knowledge before I actually start. My Lee 2 bullet mold's instructions say to lube the sprue bushing, the "V" ribs and locating cross pin.

First question: what is the locating cross pin?

Second: The Lee instructions advise against using Lee Liquid Alox (which of course I have plenty of via my new sizing die), and suggest Lee Bullet Lube # 90007. Is there a better or more common substance to use, and how often should the mold be lubed?

Thanks in advance.

John

MtGun44
08-31-2010, 09:58 PM
The cross pin is the steel pin set half on one side that is perpendicular
to the V rib and aligns the mold half vertically.

See the thread directly above this one on lube.

Bull plate lube. Nothing better. Go to the Bull Shop link at the bottom of the page.
Strongly recommend against using bullet lube, it burns on and cruds up the mold.

Bill

beetle
08-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Thank you Bill. I am going to order some Bull Plate lube tomorrow.

John

30CAL-TEXAN
08-31-2010, 11:32 PM
You will be very happy with the Bullplate!

That stuff is amazing. I honestly feel bad for all the abuse that my molds suffered before I got some bullplate. I was beating my sprue plates open with a large wooden stick, now they can be cut with ease by a tap of the thumb.

Really cool stuff.

jmsj
09-01-2010, 12:35 AM
beetle,
I agree w/ the others Bull Plate Lube is the best lube around.
I couldn't believe how easy it makes cutting sprues. jmsj

fatelk
09-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Just to pile on a little: bullplate lube really is a must-have if you cast.

I put a lot of unnecessary wear on some Lee molds over the years before getting some bullplate. It is awesome stuff!

sljacob
09-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I tried bullplate lube for the first time the other day, a bottle came with my new noe mold, and all I could say is wow what a difference!

btroj
09-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Once you use bull plate you will realize there is no alternative. Lee just doesn't recommend it because they either don't know about it or because they don't sell it.

shooting on a shoestring
09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I use Dri-Slide. I have a supply from our machine shop days. Its a solvent that carries moly disulfide and graphite, the solvent evaporates leaving the dry lube. A can will last a couple of decades. Its great for door locks also. And very very cheap. It was a couple a bucks a can in the 90s.