PDA

View Full Version : In the Movies.. ?

SamTexas49
08-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Was just watching a portion of "The Outlaw Jose Wales" and saw where Clint uses a 1874 Sharps Rifle, half round/half Octagon Barrel, at least 30" long with a long brass tube scope mounted on top, where he shoots the rope on a ferry to cut it loose on the river.

Obvious I think we are all aware of Tom Selick with his Sharps rifle.

There were Sharps carbines in "Dance's With Wolves" I go to see those rifles in racks at Shiloh Sharps ready for shipping!.

There was Burt Lancaster with his Sharps in "Valdez is coming" and the Buffalo hunter in "Lonesome Dove".

Where else in Movie or TV have we seen the 'Old Reliable" ??

Doc Highwall
08-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Legends of the Fall.

waksupi
08-31-2010, 07:33 PM
It seems I saw Burl Ives with one in The Big Country, but it has been a lot of years since I watched it. I know darn well they have been in a lot of westerns, just can't think of them at the time.

Skipper
08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Rancho Deluxe

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073605/

Jeff Bridges and Sam Waterston take a cadillac apart with a .50 Sharps.

ammohead
08-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Glenn Cambell carried a sharpes carbine in "True Grit".

Charles Bronson had a Sharpes I believe as well as those funky sunglasses in "The White Buffalo".

Kevin Costner had some sort of single shot during Wyatt Earp's buffalo hunting days in the movie "Wyatt Earp".

ammohead

Jon K
08-31-2010, 09:50 PM
In Pale Rider Micheal Moriarity carries a Sharps
In Crossfire Trail Tom Selleck takes the Sharps hanging on the wall in the ship, and Wilfred Brimley uses it at the last shootout of the movie.

Jon

KCSO
08-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Most Sharps rifles in one movie... The Unforgiven with Burt Lancaster, even Audry Hepburn has one!

missionary5155
09-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Good morning
The John Wayne movie " Horse Soilders".. what is the carbine they are carrying ? My copy is in storage in Illinois.

Larry Gibson
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Good morning
The John Wayne movie " Horse Soilders".. what is the carbine they are carrying ? My copy is in storage in Illinois.

Trapdoors

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
09-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Burt Lancaster used a M1874 Sharps carbine, even cast his own bullets and loaded the ammo by the campfire, in "Valdez is coming". Did some decent 1,000 yard shooting over a forked "stick", I always enjoyed that film.

Larry Gibson

SamTexas49
09-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Most Sharps rifles in one movie... The Unforgiven with Burt Lancaster, even Audry Hepburn has one!

Would you believe Im watching it right now! There all holed up in the cabin. The older lady is using a lever action but everyone else has a sharps carbine or rifle, They must been modified cause it look like there loading .45 colt ammo..just think no repos here all "real" !

excess650
09-01-2010, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=SamTexas49;986375]Was just watching a portion of "The Outlaw Jose Wales" and saw where Clint uses a 1874 Sharps Rifle, half round/half Octagon Barrel, at least 30" long with a long brass tube scope mounted on top, where he shoots the rope on a ferry to cut it loose on the river.QUOTE]

Its a flick at the end of the Civil War, so can't be historically correct with a '74 Sharps. It could have been a '59 or '63 that used paper cartridges, but I don't recall taking enough notice to see just exactly what it was. There was the Model 1869 Sharps that used cartridges, but again, its too late of a rifle. There were large numbers of '59s and '63s converted to 50-70, but again, too late for the time period of the movie.

.....another movie, The Missouri Breaks with Jack Nicholson and Marlon Brando. Brando does some long range shooting with a "Creedmore". The "outhouse" scene comes to mind.

In Lonesome Dove the halfbreed Blue Duck has a Sharps carbine.

bob208
09-01-2010, 06:04 PM
the most sharps in a movie would have to be gettysburg.

also the movie the tracker with kriss krisstoffing { i know the spelling is way off}
heavens gate

uncle joe
09-01-2010, 06:11 PM
not a real movie but pretty good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRaRCCZjdTM

Andy Mac
09-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Doc has a sharps in Young Guns

Johnny_Cyclone
09-01-2010, 07:47 PM
The Missing, Tommy Lee Jones as chaa-duu-ba-its-iidan sets up on a ridge in a effort to ambush the bad guys, he's using a Sharps.
"Thought we were gonna buy 'er back"
"The more of 'em we kill the easier they'll be to reason with."

Geronimo, Wes Studi as Geronimo uses a Sharps to convince a pursing lynch mob posse to go home..
"that was an incredible shot"
"Not so good, I aim for his head"

Mumblypeg
09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Don't forget Marlon Brando in The Missouri Breaks...

bob208
09-02-2010, 03:52 PM
the wild bunch

northmn
09-02-2010, 06:15 PM
My favorite was the Life and times of Judge Roy Bean with Paul Newman. He rested a scoped sharps over a hay bale to shoot a man in the back that was calling him out for a gunfight.

Northmn

frankenfab
09-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Legends of the Fall.

"Yrew-em!!!!Yrew-emm!!!! Mrew ne gummerment!!:bigsmyl2:

bubba.50
09-09-2010, 12:35 AM
can't think of anything to add to the sharps question but one of davy crockett's buddies had a trapdoor at the alamo :).

Geraldo
09-09-2010, 06:14 AM
I'm not sure of the name because it's been a long time since I saw it, but Gregory Peck ends up pinned down by some serious long range Sharps fire in one movie.

Doc_Stihl
09-09-2010, 09:27 AM
"Yrew-em!!!!Yrew-emm!!!! Mrew ne gummerment!!:bigsmyl2:

That one had me crackin up.

It's a lever-action, breech loader. Usual barrel length's thirty inches. This one has an extra four. It's converted to use a special forty-five caliber, hundred and ten grain metal cartridge, with a five-hundred forty grain paper patch bullet. It's fitted with double set triggers, and a Vernier sight. It's marked up to twelve-hundred yards. This one shoots a mite further.

GabbyM
09-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Clint finishes off the Sherrif in the Un Forgiven with a 50-70 from about two feet. After delivering his one liner.

Doc_Stihl
09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Clint used a Spencer repeater to finish him off.

09-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Been watching quite a few retro-movies the last year or two. I've noticed a bunch of Sharps 53?, 55? or 59? carbines used along with numerous trapdoors. I would imagine the movie prop houses had large numbers of these types for movie production rental- along with the various muskets, single action revolvers and the "Winchester" lever types. Clint's movies of course put the wide variety of Italian repros in the spotlight with the Italian movie production companies.... therefore the "Spaghetti Westerns".

Selleck's movie, Crossfire Trail, had a Sharps but after freeze framing it numerous times it's really hard to tell exactly what it is. Even online searches for info about the guns used for Crossfire Trail reveal conflicting info on that particular "Sharps" gun. Many of the guns used in the Selleck-produced movies (TWS Producitons) were personal guns refitted/rebuilt for use in his movies. Some I think now reside at the museum in Cody Wyo.

John Taylor
09-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Been watching quite a few retro-movies the last year or two. I've noticed a bunch of Sharps 53?, 55? or 59? carbines used along with numerous trapdoors. I would imagine the movie prop houses had large numbers of these types for movie production rental- along with the various muskets, single action revolvers and the "Winchester" lever types. Clint's movies of course put the wide variety of Italian repros in the spotlight with the Italian movie production companies.... therefore the "Spaghetti Westerns".

Selleck's movie, Crossfire Trail, had a Sharps but after freeze framing it numerous times it's really hard to tell exactly what it is. Even online searches for info about the guns used for Crossfire Trail reveal conflicting info on that particular "Sharps" gun. Many of the guns used in the Selleck-produced movies (TWS Producitons) were personal guns refitted/rebuilt for use in his movies. Some I think now reside at the museum in Cody Wyo.

Brad Johnson, the guy who played Bo Dorn in Cross fire trail, the hired gun, must have a good collection. He sent me 22 Winchester 1886s to work on. They came through another shop so I never saw the finished rifles. A lot of them were engraved, most in take down. About half were 50-110 when I was finished with them.

SamTexas49
09-09-2010, 03:16 PM
can't think of anything to add to the sharps question but one of davy crockett's buddies had a trapdoor at the alamo :).

Really, if you go back and watch closely you can see the rubber bayonets and the big fake Flint Lock hammers and with closer look the trapdoors.

Sad to imagine all those trapdoors being scavanged like that to do..:x

SamTexas49
09-09-2010, 03:19 PM
So far no one has brought up Glen Cambell's character Texas Ranger from "True Grit", he hefts a "big sharps" there too..

Char-Gar
09-09-2010, 05:43 PM
It has never made it to TV, Video or DVD, but there was a mid 50's movie with Stewart Granger about buffalo hunting called "The Last Hunt". Lots of Sharps rifles including bullet casting, loading and the killing of a number of buffalo. I suspect the latter is why it has never seen the light of day since it's initial run. It could not carry the notice.."No animals were hurt or injured during the filming of this motion picture." IIRC it was a very good flic.

09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Brad Johnson, the guy who played Bo Dorn in Cross fire trail, the hired gun, must have a good collection. He sent me 22 Winchester 1886s to work on. They came through another shop so I never saw the finished rifles. A lot of them were engraved, most in take down. About half were 50-110 when I was finished with them.

Good grief, that's more than a couple r three 86s! I know he was using a Remington-Keene (his sniper rifle) in Crossfire Trail along with a couple of different revolvers. Didn't know he was such a collector though. What's the shop that Selleck uses- R&D?

GOPHER SLAYER
09-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Geraldo, the movie of which you speak was Billy Two Hats. Lucille Ball's boy Dezi Arnez played Billy. They were being pursued by a US Marshal. Peck surprised the marshal in a saloon and took his '92 Winchester and broke it against the bar. That made me cringe.[John Wayne also did that in Fort Apache]. He ignored the old Sharps on the wall. When they had ridden some distance in there getaway, the bartender , who was an old buffalo hunter took the Sharps off the wall, rested it across the hitching post and asked the Marshal, where do you want me to shoot him? The marshal said anywhere. When the big slugs began to whistle past, Billy says what is that and Peck says it's that buffalo gun. Actually Chargar,the movie The Last Hunt. appears on TV from time to time. Robert Taylor played the crazy gunfighter . If I remember correctly, he shot a nickle plated Winchester 1876. He shot the white buffalo while he was on his horse because Granger wouldn't shoot. I don't remember what Granger was shooting . Loyd Nolan played the drunken skinner. It also starred Debra Paget as an Indian maiden if you can believe that. Russ Tamblyn played a red headed half Indian. No more far fetched than Donna Reed, A German, playing the Indian guide for Lewis and Clark

BarryinIN
09-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Since "Valdez is Coming" was mentioned, I have to ask:

I saw a move a long time ago I have tried to find again for years, but I don't even know the name of it. It had a Burt Lancaster or Gregory Peck type starring in it, and all I can really remember is one scene. In it, a colorful old geezer-type (I want to say Will Geer) shoots a Sharps from his porch at an kid escaping on horseback. It's a heck of a long shot. He fires, the kid hears the shot, has time to turn around, then his horse gets hit and taken down. When the shooter tries to load for another shot at the now anchored target, he can't load it, saying something like "Dagnabbit, the breech is spring!"

Was that "Valdez is Coming"?

george1980
09-11-2010, 09:19 PM
i just watched clint in the outlawjosey wales had it tivo'd for awhile now , its a slant breech rifle he's using so im not sure what year it would be , now heres a suprise i just watched the road warriers version of , maverick and towards the end youll see a scoped sharps

FredT
09-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Some nice single shots in the Culpepper Cattle Company and lots of trapdoors in the Red Badge of Courage.

Larry Gibson
09-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Since "Valdez is Coming" was mentioned, I have to ask:

I saw a move a long time ago I have tried to find again for years, but I don't even know the name of it. It had a Burt Lancaster or Gregory Peck type starring in it, and all I can really remember is one scene. In it, a colorful old geezer-type (I want to say Will Geer) shoots a Sharps from his porch at an kid escaping on horseback. It's a heck of a long shot. He fires, the kid hears the shot, has time to turn around, then his horse gets hit and taken down. When the shooter tries to load for another shot at the now anchored target, he can't load it, saying something like "Dagnabbit, the breech is spring!"

Was that "Valdez is Coming"?

That was Gregory Peck and I want to say Desi Arnez Jr. Wasn't "Valdez is Comming though. It was "Billy Two Hats" as mentioned by Gopher.

Larry Gibson

357Mag
09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Hey.... in " How the West Was Won".... didn't Henry Fonda carry a Sharps in his scabbard; while serving as a Buffalo hunter for the Rail Road ?

357Mag

Artful
09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Would you believe Im watching it right now! There all holed up in the cabin. The older lady is using a lever action but everyone else has a sharps carbine or rifle, They must been modified cause it look like there loading .45 colt ammo..just think no repos here all "real" !

probably using 5- in 1 blanks Not 45 colt ammo.

5 in 1 Blank Ammunition
These 5 in 1's are available in Crimped and Open Ended/Balloon Blank Varieties,
and can be used in .45 Colt, .44/40, .44 Magnum, .38/40 firearms and 410 shotguns and many other chambers that it will go in and catch the rim.

http://www.westernstageprops.com/miva/graphics/00000001/sa13_lr.jpg

http://www.perfectshotllc.com/catalog/pictures%2002%20060.jpg

http://www.westernstageprops.com/miva/graphics/00000001/sa11_lr.jpg

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Medium/666112.jpg

somewhere if I still have it I have one and it was dipped in something to make the front part black so from a distance it looks like a blunt cartridge loaded with lead.

Kenny Wasserburger
09-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Selleck's Sharps was made by Shiloh,

It resides in the display room at the Factory scoped and all.

KW
The Lunger

SamTexas49
09-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Selleck's Sharps was made by Shiloh,

It resides in the display room at the Factory scoped and all.

KW
The Lunger

"Scoped"? I thought he kept those rifles for himself?

cajun shooter
09-19-2010, 12:48 PM
The Unforgiven with Burt Lancaster, Audie Murphy, and Hepburn had Lancaster making bullets out of toy soldiers by the fire as the Indians were about to overrun the cabine. They showed the back of the cartridge as it was loaded with the lever down and they have the look of the old cartridges but of course never showed the entire thing. They probably were shooting 5 in one's as Audie was firing a lever action outside the cabine.

BarryinIN
09-19-2010, 01:39 PM
That was Gregory Peck and I want to say Desi Arnez Jr. Wasn't "Valdez is Comming though. It was "Billy Two Hats" as mentioned by Gopher.

Larry Gibson

Thanks. It's been bugging me for years. I didn't know the name of the movie at the time (only saw a piece of it) and didn't know how to find it.

Old Goat Keeper
09-20-2010, 12:37 AM
In one of Clint's early spaghetti westerns he used a scoped sharps to shoot the rope that was being used tohang Eli Wallak.

Tom

Harry Eales
09-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Another big Sharps complete with full length brass scope appeared in the TV film saga Lonesome Dove, one of the best westerns of all time.

One of Blue Ducks men owned it and fired a half dozen rounds at Capt Augustus McKray. (Robert Duval) who then jacked up the rear site on his Henry 44 Rim Fire and wounded him with a gut shot. (Waddya expect from a 44 Henry rimfire at about 400 yards?)

Harry

GabbyM
09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Another big Sharps complete with full length brass scope appeared in the TV film saga Lonesome Dove, one of the best westerns of all time.

One of Blue Ducks men owned it and fired a half dozen rounds at Capt Augustus McKray. (Robert Duval) who then jacked up the rear site on his Henry 44 Rim Fire and wounded him with a gut shot. (Waddya expect from a 44 Henry rimfire at about 400 yards?)

Harry

McKray made the shot after he put down his horse for cover with a gunshot. Which of course we know would have done next to nothing against the big bore they were shooting at him with. Or is my memory once again skewed? Was thinking he had to walk out after being an idiot and killing his horse. No one is perfect and I've personally seen men do much worse in real life when panicked. So it is realistic and was a common tactic. Which is why the Army spec for the revolver which became the 45 Colt was to penetrate a horse at 100 yards. IIRC