PDA

View Full Version : Try it again!! Lyman 45266

azrednek
05-13-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm hoping to generate enough interest to see if anybody but me would like to get one. Way to much on ebay for used. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7140054540&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It is a 45 cal 200gr SWC that will accept a gas check. I realize I haven't been hanging around here long enough to be trusted. If anybody that has previously grabbed the bull by the horns and organized a group buy that would like to get this mold and willing to organize it I will be forever gratefull.

Buckshot
05-14-2005, 02:30 AM
.............Azredneck, "I realize I haven't been hanging around here long enough to be trusted. If anybody that has previously grabbed the bull by the horns and organized a group buy that would like to get this mold and willing to organize it I will be forever gratefull."

I don't believe that to be an issue with this membership. A couple current moulds running are being done by recent members and that question never came up.

I may be wrong but I think with the number of customs being run that most of us are kind of needing a breather. I know I am, and I had to miss out on a couple I'd have liked to have gotten in on.

If you want to run a custom mould offering go ahead. There is no time limit involved with it. You will need a drawing for Lee to work from. If you have a set of calipers to take the measurements you can draw it up yourself. I think the 6.5mm Kurz took about 3 months to get the 25 minimum to negate the $100 setup charge. There at the tail end 9 more jumped onboard to push it to 34 units. I think the time element was more due to the 'uniqueness' and more limited numbers of cast shooters of the caliber then anything else.

..................Buckshot

waksupi
05-14-2005, 09:39 AM
There is no doubt of trust, just too many at once. Taxes and insurance payments have picked my pockets hard this spring, and I've missed out on a couple I would like to have. I watched the 6.5 slide by, with big sad puppy eyes.
I don't know how many designs came up lately, but it seems like a lot. I can honestly only afford to get in on one every six months or so, if I'm lucky. And that cuts into primer, powder, and gun buying funds.

carpetman
05-14-2005, 01:07 PM
AZRedneck---I have known about and been involved in deals on these boards about 7-8 yrs--going back to Shooters. I have only heard of one that went bad. The guy received his goods and vanished. One of my pet peeves about buying on EBAY is that I don't know the seller any better than he knows me. I have feeback on me he can read,same as I can read his. We both have the same protection--yet my goods arent mailed until he receives my money. I bought an air rifle from Buckshot. I really appreciated he put it in the mail on my word that a money order was in the mail to him. The rifle arrived almost original as he had stated--except his initials and a peace sign carved in stock and trigger and sights held on by stainless steel hose clamps. Didn't matter I was lying about the money order--did I ever rip him off. Just today I received a check from BD and last week one from C1PNR for Belding&Mull powder measures. (I still have one more for sale). They said they wanted the measures and they were sent. I never had one second of thinking I'd not get paid. Nothing against churches--but I bet if you did as much business with members of your church as what gets done here,you'd have more than one bad deal.

azrednek
05-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Thx guys for the encouragement, it appears as though there just isn’t enough interest in it.

Carpetman guess I’ve been lucky so far on Ebay. I haven’t been burned yet as a buyer but have been ripped-off three times as a seller. I did have problems with a seller selling me a reproduction M-1907 sling as original. Got a refund eventually after allot of time and correspondance. As a seller and my own stupid mistake I got burned mixing up two buyers and sending the goods before I was paid. Another overseas deal, I took a hot credit card and at the buyers request and expense, expressed mailed his package to Indonesia. It was stupidity on my part but I assumed with the Dr xyz M.D. name that showed up on the credit card he had the money to spend foolishly. The other was a kid in Canada sending me a bogus money order he apparently printed on his computer. With the money order Ebay advised me that they contacted the kid’s parents by telephone and notified Canadian authorities but no help as far as collecting my money. The others Ebay did absolutely nothing, told me I could leave poor feedback.

rbwillnj
05-16-2005, 12:24 PM
I have a 4 Cavity 45266 that I picked up on ebay within the last year (got really really lucky and got it on a Buy-it-now with handles for $100) The 45266 is a great bullseye bullet, but its not designed for a gas check. Are you thinking about trying to get Lyman to make it? I know someone that might be interested in one if its a Lyman

Ballisti-Cast makes a mold, #951 which looks very similar to the 45266. This bullet is essentially an H&G 78 with a long bevel base

azrednek
05-16-2005, 02:07 PM
rbwillnj, I was told before that this slug is not for a gas check but I have been loading and shooting it with one. I got a rusty and pitted mold off Ebay. Gas check fits right on. I wasn't planning on going to Lyman, my past experience with Lyman's customer service leaves allot to be desired. Hopefully the picture works. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/45266-close.jpg

Lloyd Smale
05-19-2005, 04:44 AM
I used the bullet for quite a while as a plain base and never thought to try gas checks until i heard it here. They do fit on and crimp on just like the bullet was designed for them. I now shoot them both ways as some of my guns prefer them each way. Its a real good bullet and has given me excellent accuracy in most of my guns.

slughammer
05-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Looks like we have 3 versions of 45266.
1. Tapered base (can accept a gas check)
2. Plain base (no way a gas check is going on here)
3. The base that people thought they have, but learned otherwise once they read this thread.

The single cavity I have throws wheel weight boolits at 220gr

skipper1
04-06-2008, 05:12 AM
Hi Guys,
I am new to this site. I found out about it from the bullseye forum. They said some one was getting an order for a Lyamn mold 45226. Should be 45acp around 200gr.
How much would a mold like this cost?
Am I to late to get in on the buy?

Thanks
Skipper

Lloyd Smale
04-06-2008, 05:26 AM
skipper this deal never flew as you can see the last post before yours was from 2005.