PDA

View Full Version : Crazy brass

44man
08-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Most of you know I do not like WW brass but Bioman needed some brass for his .44. Whitworth has extra brass here so I picked out some WW brass, tumbled it, sized, expanded and trimmed it. I was seating primers and found 3 cases that I could not get a primer in without ruining the primer, tossed them. Then one had a loose pocket.
Seating boolits showed a few where the boolits went in too easy.
These are once fired factory loads so I have to wonder how WW got primers in those tight pockets??????
I popped out a Fed primer and tried a WW primer and ruined it too. I almost broke my Lee primer tool getting the primer in far enough to remove the case from the shell holder.

Bass Ackward
08-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Eh, no biggie, those are things that you can observe.

Wait until you start to measure well depth and find that is another variable that can be off. I guess that's why they sell pocket uniformers. Different depth, different strike. :grin:

Relax, next batch you buy, it will be something else.

The most sin remains in brass.

44man
08-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Eh, no biggie, those are things that you can observe.

Wait until you start to measure well depth and find that is another variable that can be off. I guess that's why they sell pocket uniformers. Different depth, different strike. :grin:

Relax, next batch you buy, it will be something else.

The most sin remains in brass.
Not only depth Bass, way too tight at the sides. My pocket uniforming cutter does not touch the sides on them. None were deep enough. I could not even start a primer in them so they were off in all directions.
A primer is .110" and .120" at the anvil. These pockets were .80" to .10" deep. I could not cut with the tool until I chucked the case in the lathe and spun it, too much metal to remove. That also rubbed the sides and I could then seat a primer.
My question is still how did the factory seat primers?
Remember, these were factory loads, not bought brass.

Whitworth
08-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Well what do you want for free? I'm not giving him any of my good brass! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, just grab some of the other bass I have over there. There should be plenty of it.

44man
08-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Well what do you want for free? I'm not giving him any of my good brass! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, just grab some of the other bass I have over there. There should be plenty of it.
Not the question. It is about Winchester brass. I had trouble with the stuff when I had the .375 SM. Every rim was a different thickness and some would not let the cylinder rotate. I had to file the thickness down.
I still do not understand how the factory got primers in these things. Most were OK, just a few gave a problem.
I am wondering if anyone else has had this.

home in oz
08-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Starline is good stuff

Whitworth
08-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Not the question. It is about Winchester brass. I had trouble with the stuff when I had the .375 SM. Every rim was a different thickness and some would not let the cylinder rotate. I had to file the thickness down.
I still do not understand how the factory got primers in these things. Most were OK, just a few gave a problem.
I am wondering if anyone else has had this.

Simple solution: Don't use the Winchester brass!

44man
08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Simple solution: Don't use the Winchester brass!
Do you know what the word "CHEAP" means! :bigsmyl2:
Besides, I saved the better brass for you.

Hardcast416taylor
08-31-2010, 03:46 PM
I wasn`t aware of Winchester making their cases in China?????:confused::confused::confused::roll:Robe rt

NSP64
09-01-2010, 01:15 AM
I wasn`t aware of Winchester making their cases in China?????:confused::confused::confused::roll:Robe rt

They are being made by LEE with their close tolerances.:bigsmyl2:

If they were made in china they would come with lead.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-01-2010, 07:40 AM
I've noticed overly thick case walls on WW 44Mag brass. (I can't say if this was 1x or not?)
I use LEE dies with FCD, and some WW brass need extreme pressure when
running the loaded round through the FCD.
Whereas I have no problem with the same bullets,
same powder charge, with any other brand of brass.
Jon

Frosty Boolit
09-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I have had some really tight pockets on WW brass too. Only 44 brass though. some were so tight that I could not get winchester primers in without deformation so I switched to the soft federal primers and they kind of "squished" in. primers from same sleeve fit fine in federal brass. I just fired 'em anyway and I was wondering if maybe your factory loads had primers that were a bit flatter than usual and you did not notice when firing. One thing for sure I'll only buy winchester brass if that is all that is left on the shelf.

44man
09-04-2010, 09:20 PM
I have had some really tight pockets on WW brass too. Only 44 brass though. some were so tight that I could not get winchester primers in without deformation so I switched to the soft federal primers and they kind of "squished" in. primers from same sleeve fit fine in federal brass. I just fired 'em anyway and I was wondering if maybe your factory loads had primers that were a bit flatter than usual and you did not notice when firing. One thing for sure I'll only buy winchester brass if that is all that is left on the shelf.
I don't know what the factory loads looked like, have not shot any since 1956 when I needed brass. These cases are from Whitworth's stash.
None of my revolvers ever see a factory load. In fact nothing I ever owned has seen them except a shotgun.

GP100man
09-05-2010, 08:37 PM
I take my deburring tool & cut a bevel on the ones that present thereselves .

Ever noticed that WW factory primers are always flat after shootin em , all the once fired WW brass I`ve processed did!!!

The factory must use very soft primers !!! Gotta Be !!!

runfiverun
09-05-2010, 09:21 PM
winchester took the plating off thier brass sometime ago making it more sensitive.
anyways, they use the same primers we do.
if you buy primers from rem/fed/win/wolf you do.
I don't think there is an independant that makes primers just for sale anymore.
oh yeah, they don't shove the primer in the case they shove the case onto the primer.

MakeMineA10mm
09-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Odd. I prefer Winchester brass (at least over Remington), and have found it to be the more uniform between the two. Not to say that Remington's is bad. I've found bad lots in all manufacturer's brass, but generally, with pistol brass, I like Win's the best. Federal is pretty good as well and Star-Line and Top Brass make some really good stuff. My absolute favorite brass is the old Speer stuff, from the first decade or so they were selling ammo and components other than bullets. I BELIEVE that brass was Norma or Lapua, and it was awesome stuff (but there were issues with it here and there as well - significantly I remember some soft 44 brass that gave early pressure signs). Of course, I'm too much of a cheap-skate to actually BUY Norma or Lapua handgun brass. :mrgreen: I'm betting since Speer became part of the ATK giant, that all the Speer brass is Federal now...

I've found virtually no manufacturer's products (brass, pencils, cars, or otherwise) that doesn't have some issue somewhere or with some sampling. You didn't say how much brass you took from Whitworth's pile ( :shock: :mrgreen: ), but four bad cases out of 200 isn't horrible.... Four out of 10 IS bad. Four out of a thousand, and I wonder why you're so unreasonably prejudiced against Win. to post such a thread...

:bigsmyl2:

44man
09-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Odd. I prefer Winchester brass (at least over Remington), and have found it to be the more uniform between the two. Not to say that Remington's is bad. I've found bad lots in all manufacturer's brass, but generally, with pistol brass, I like Win's the best. Federal is pretty good as well and Star-Line and Top Brass make some really good stuff. My absolute favorite brass is the old Speer stuff, from the first decade or so they were selling ammo and components other than bullets. I BELIEVE that brass was Norma or Lapua, and it was awesome stuff (but there were issues with it here and there as well - significantly I remember some soft 44 brass that gave early pressure signs). Of course, I'm too much of a cheap-skate to actually BUY Norma or Lapua handgun brass. :mrgreen: I'm betting since Speer became part of the ATK giant, that all the Speer brass is Federal now...

I've found virtually no manufacturer's products (brass, pencils, cars, or otherwise) that doesn't have some issue somewhere or with some sampling. You didn't say how much brass you took from Whitworth's pile ( :shock: :mrgreen: ), but four bad cases out of 200 isn't horrible.... Four out of 10 IS bad. Four out of a thousand, and I wonder why you're so unreasonably prejudiced against Win. to post such a thread...

:bigsmyl2:
I found 4 out of 20 cases. That is a high percentage. Bioman only wanted a few more cases so I did not take Starline or others from Whitworth.
It is not the first time I found a problem with WW brass. They can be fixed but why is that needed?