PDA

View Full Version : possible use for zinc alloy ww

mosin9130
09-07-2006, 04:32 AM
Bad news about weel weights.
A tire vendor told me that here in Italy, by law, starting by the end of the year only zinc ww will be employed . So, for an year or two, I'll find standard ww and then no more.
What to do with the still many zinc ww?
I remember to have read somewhere that zinc alloy would be very good for bullet, having hardness and self lubing properties that allow to use the same loads and velocities as metal jacket bullets but that is very difficoult to cast it properly because it doesn't fill well unless the mould has a very simple design.
More, moulds contaminated by the use of zinc alloy would cast no more good standard alloy bullet (as an oil/grease contaminated mould do) and also the zinc alloy would contamine the pot and the dipper forcing you to have two separate casting set for zinc and for standard alloy.

There is someone who tried zinc alloy for cast bullet? Does it work?

Lloyd Smale
09-07-2006, 05:04 AM
it will cast decent bullets but there just to light for any kind of penetration. You have to run the pot real hot. The pot and molds can be cleaned afterward and used with lead again. Overall its just not worth the bother.

Paul B
09-07-2006, 03:55 PM
There have been a few articles in several early American Rifleman Magazines on casting zinc and Kirksite bullets, mostly in the 1940s and into the 1950s. I've never bothered to read them as I have no interest in ultra-featherweight bullets. from just glancing at the artilce, I think that for really good results one would have to have some way of applying extra pressure to the metal when trying to get good mold fill out. Sounds like a PITA to me.
Paul B.

StarMetal
09-07-2006, 04:02 PM
It will pour and fill out just like our lead alloy, I've done it. One thing I can warn you about is you will have to use an iron or steel mould. It takes a lot of force to cut the sprue and an aluminum mould just can't handle that.

Joe