PDA

View Full Version : What do I have?

Jech
08-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Had a bunch of .309" 174gr gas checked boolits in the shed waiting for me to figure out what to do with them...finally got around to melting them down and saw some new (to me) stuff happening.

They were old and had been in the heat a long time, whatever lube their original creator had used was half-melted off. I figured it would just make a convenient flux. Whatever it was, it was enough to form a deep pool on top of the melt and stay lit on fire for a very long time, it also burned very hot (indicated by a blue flame).

When it came time to pour, it filled out my 2" angle iron mold very well, it was the glassiest looking stuff I have seen yet...even after fully cooling. Also, I could pour a second ladle-full of the melt into a mold cavity but it didn't create ripples or observable layers in the final product. The surface tension was very different from the range lead I'm usually smelting.

The most interesting thing though was when I dropped out a set of ingots and one of them looked like it was "bleeding" on one side. There was a small amount of still-liquid alloy leaking out of the ingot like blood from a nasty abrasion on the knee. The ingot as a whole appeared to be fully setup, wasn't frosty or rippled, and didn't warp or bend like others I've dropped from the mold too soon. When I went to "wipe the tear" off with my glove, it disappeared O_O I could only describe it as being "reabsorbed" into the ingot. Bewildering!

Is this "glassy" surface and the unusual surface tension properties indicative of some special alloy? Normally I use significantly less paraffin wax to flux than whatever was on these boolits, did the former boolit lube actually just flux the stuff properly and now I'm seeing good clean alloy?

~ Jech

george1980
08-30-2010, 09:46 PM
interesting , was there much dross after stirring ?

454PB
08-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Sounds like either linotype or monotype. If so, the ingots should be very brittle, and break into pieces when struck together.

lwknight
08-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Yup, linotype.
The surface hardens before the inner core because it is eutectic and very little temperature difference is required between solid and liquid. Just let them cool longer next time so the ingot will stay pretty and shiny with the glassy wavy surface.

All jokes aside , your dumping the mold too soon.

Good find for sure.

fatelk
08-30-2010, 11:05 PM
You have some Martian Super Metal. A large chunk of it was reportedly picked up in the desert outside of Roswell in '47. It makes perfectly filled-out, extra hard and heavy bullets that never lead and always drop the perfect size no matter what mold you use. Highly experienced casters didn't even need molds, melting and shaping the metal using a Martian mind meld. The lube was clearly UFO fuel.

Most of this ultimate boolit metal mysteriously disappeared decades ago, along with those using it. Expect a knock at your door any minute now...

Seriously, it probably is linotype or something. I've used very little lino straight. I did have some babbot that acted just like that though. Sounds like you have some excellent bullet metal, even if it's not Martian.

sagacious
08-30-2010, 11:54 PM
When I went to "wipe the tear" off with my glove, it disappeared O_O I could only describe it as being "reabsorbed" into the ingot. Bewildering!
This is a classic (and often even diagnostic) sign of a lead alloy with fairly high Sn content.

I agree with Lwknight-- it's quite possibly linotype. Good luck.

lwknight
08-31-2010, 01:06 AM
Highly experienced casters didn't even need molds, melting and shaping the metal using a Martian mind meld. The lube was clearly UFO fuel.

Fatelk , you cracked me up!

qajaq59
08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
You have some Martian Super Metal. What do you want to bet that this story will end up on ABC and some liberal idiot will want it outlawed? LOL

a.squibload
08-31-2010, 01:51 PM
You have some Martian Super Metal....
Most of this ultimate boolit metal mysteriously disappeared decades ago,...

The Martians stopped importing in around '48 due to the development of superior weapons.

home in oz
08-31-2010, 01:58 PM
You have some Martian Super Metal. A large chunk of it was reportedly picked up in the desert outside of Roswell in '47. It makes perfectly filled-out, extra hard and heavy bullets that never lead and always drop the perfect size no matter what mold you use. Highly experienced casters didn't even need molds, melting and shaping the metal using a Martian mind meld. The lube was clearly UFO fuel.

Most of this ultimate boolit metal mysteriously disappeared decades ago, along with those using it. Expect a knock at your door any minute now...

Seriously, it probably is linotype or something. I've used very little lino straight. I did have some babbot that acted just like that though. Sounds like you have some excellent bullet metal, even if it's not Martian.

This explains a LOT!

Jech
08-31-2010, 02:22 PM
@george1980, the only dross I saw was a crust of oxidized tin which formed much faster than I'm used to. Linotype's higher tin content and lower melting point makes perfect sense.

@lwknight, I was waiting as long as I normally would before dropping range lead ingots, obviously this is a different breed of alloy though... Lesson learned!