PDA

View Full Version : Best Powder Measure for Trail boss?

JDFuchs
08-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Well after having a very frustrating time time trying to load some 45-70 with a Dillon 450b. The charge bar of the Dillon measure was throwing 5gn off of where I wanted then the next would be way off in the other direction. Useing a Hornady measure its not nearley so bad but im still not happy with it. I was wondering if anyone has found a meeter that dose well with Trail boss?

Dframe
08-30-2010, 03:55 PM
I've been using an old RCBS Uniflow without any trouble.

Von Gruff
08-30-2010, 05:31 PM
While I dont load TB I did use Tight group for a while and use Red and Blue Dot now and find the Lee Powder Measure to be quite good. It may be cheap but with a repeatable technique it is OK. I do the belts and braces thing though in that I through my charges into the scale pan and trickle up.

Von Gruff.

awaveritt
08-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Trail Boss dispenses fine in my RCBS Uniflow Measure for SMALL pistol charges. But I did experience some bridging while loading 13 gr. of TB in 45-70 cases. I had to double tap the lever to make the remaining powder to fall out. Was a bit annoying and definitely counter-productive.

30CAL-TEXAN
08-30-2010, 06:31 PM
The Lee powder measure works great for me on the Trail Boss.

94Doug
08-30-2010, 09:03 PM
I think the Lee scoops work the best.

Doug

chuebner
08-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Lee measure works fine for me though I do give the hopper a double tap while still holding the cartridge under the spout with the lever down. I do this for all the flake powders I use and it is very repeatable. Can't beat cheap stuff that actually works.

Charlie

John Boy
08-30-2010, 10:27 PM
The Lee powder measure works great for me on the Trail Boss.
+1 for the Lee. I use the Perfect Powder Measure. Dropping Trail Boss accurately, a rotary drum measure works much more accurately than a slide measure

220swiftfn
08-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Question, is there a humidity or static charge issue maybe? Trail boss is really "fluffy" and would be more prone to problems here than other powders.....

Dan

dillonhelp
08-31-2010, 11:34 AM
I have poured thousands of rounds of 45-70 using Trailboss in an RL550 loader. Be sure to use the large powder bar, keep the hopper full, and dump 10-15 charges through the measure to settle the powder under the baffle before you begin weighing charges. Are you using the manual or automatic measure?

JDFuchs
08-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Question, is there a humidity or static charge issue maybe? Trail boss is really "fluffy" and would be more prone to problems here than other powders.....

Dan

Its dry enough out in Colorado that I don't think humidity would be a problem.
I have never given static charges much thought. That might be part of it. It dose tend to have a few flakes stuck by static to everything i run it through.

JDFuchs
08-31-2010, 12:22 PM
I have poured thousands of rounds of 45-70 using Trailboss in an RL550 loader. Be sure to use the large powder bar, keep the hopper full, and dump 10-15 charges through the measure to settle the powder under the baffle before you begin weighing charges. Are you using the manual or automatic measure?

Going to a larger powder bar might help a lot. The one I have is set almost to the largest volume it can go.

swamp
08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
I have had good luck with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I have found that once in awhile the TB will bridge, so when I rotate the chamber down to dump I will tap it against the stop lightly. Seems to make it all dump out. I also try to use the Lee dippers when I can. It seems to go faster with them.

swamp

sargenv
08-31-2010, 05:25 PM
I've had good luck with both my RCBS Uniflow and my Dillon 650 measure with the large bar. Both measures are over 10 years old (the Uniflow is over 20 years old) and have had no consistency problems with either whilst using TB.

azcruiser
09-02-2010, 01:37 AM
1on the Dillon make sure it's the large Bar 2 Don't leave the Trail boss over night it tends to clump give it a stir every now and then 3 If you still have a problem I have used one of the Gillette safety razors that vibrate taped to the hopper works for me

noylj
09-04-2010, 03:34 PM
RCBS ChargeMaster works perfect.

shotman
09-04-2010, 11:12 PM
AZ how did you get the razor away from the wife? I am with the lee too I found the Lyman 55 works better for large stuff like TB and some shot shell powders it you close the bottom cylinder and use the top 2 , about same as said for the dillon[larger area]

saz
09-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Lee measure works fine for me though I do give the hopper a double tap while still holding the cartridge under the spout with the lever down. I do this for all the flake powders I use and it is very repeatable. Can't beat cheap stuff that actually works.

Charlie

+1 here also- I give an extra tap on the up stroke as well as the down and mine always throws within a tenth of a grain.

oscar.45
09-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I was having some trouble with TB at first. I wiped out the inside and outside of my RCBS powder throw with a dryer sheet to remove any static. This made all the difference in the world! I weighed every charge for the first 100 rounds and they were perfect.

noylj
09-07-2010, 02:19 AM
All you need is a slightly moist cloth.
Powder measures I prefer are like the Hornady and Lyman 55 where I can tap/tap on the up and down strokes.
However, I use my RCBS ChargeMaster for TB and would use just the balance and a trickler if I didn't have the ChargeMaster. TB enjoys bridging and packing to different densities depending on how the measure is operated.

adrians
11-06-2010, 10:11 AM
rcbs 5-0-5 ,,lee scoop ,,trickle to taste.:twisted::(:twisted: