PDA

View Full Version : 32-20 brass, Rem or Win?

Canuck Bob
08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
It looks like Starline brass is not currently available in Canada. Please understand noone will ship to Canada so recommending Starline is useless.

I can get Rem or Win in 32-20. Any preferences?

I have had good luck with Rem in large cases in the past. Rem has longer cases and that appeals to me as well.

missionary5155
08-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Greetings Canuck
And would an individual commoner be able to ship you some Starline?
I have used Winchester 32-20 in my 1873 and never had any problems. That is all I had.
Loaded 5 grains Unique with a 120 boolit for head shooting ground hogs under 50 yards.
17 grains of 2F also worked well snugly packed.

Marine Sgt 2111
08-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Canuck Bob,
Not being able to obtain Starline Brass in Canada....sounds like some sort of communist plot. I use all three brass in my marlin and Remington would get my second place vote. Really there is little difference between Winchester and Remington, that's why I use the thicker Starline brass.

9.3X62AL
08-30-2010, 02:13 PM
I still have a lot of both W-W and R-P brass here in 32-20 WCF caliber. It works well in my revolvers so chambered. I can't see an advantage one has over the other, although the longer length you cite would be one such upgrade. It will lengthen upon firing unevenly, so be ready for that anomaly. And uncentered cases hitting the die mouth edge are an almost guaranteed ruination of a case.

How strange that Starline isn't imported to our friends to the North.

KirkD
08-30-2010, 02:31 PM
I've bought Starline brass from Ellwood Epps in Ontario, although it was for 45 Schofield. Still, it might be worth a call. Also, both Buffalo Arms and Track of the Wolf ship to Canada. Having said that, I've only ever used Winchester 32-20 brass and never had any problems with it in three different original 32-20's that I've owned.

Cimarron Red
08-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Canuck Bob,

I use Starline brass in my Browning 53 and in my Winchester/Miroku 1892 (the same Davidson's rifle you will be getting soon.) Generally I would agree that the longer Remington brass would be desirable. However, bear in mind that your rifle will have a short throat that will present problems with Remington brass, i.e.: with some bullets such as the Lyman 311008 you will have to crimp over the front driving band (the bullet has no crimping groove) with the longer case. With the Winchester or Starline brass you will be able to crimp into the driving band. And the Lyman bullet shoots well in my rifle. But I generally shoot the Saeco 322 bullet, and I get good accuracy. Also, I'm looking forward to getting the .32 group buy mould currently offered by Swede Nelson.

Canuck Bob
08-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Greetings Canuck
And would an individual commoner be able to ship you some Starline?
I have used Winchester 32-20 in my 1873 and never had any problems. That is all I had.
Loaded 5 grains Unique with a 120 boolit for head shooting ground hogs under 50 yards.
17 grains of 2F also worked well snugly packed.

It is a kind gesture but it is a US Homeland Security initiative. I would never allow anyone to draw the attention of Big Brother regarding firearms. I suspect its a list best avoided at all cost. The whole "person of interest" thing is very serious.

Brass, bullets, powders, scopes and such are not shippable from the US. For the Midways, Brownells and such it is just easier to not ship period. It is regarding sensitive ordanance not falling into the wrong hands in the terrorist groups. It is appropriate for a sniper scope and anything that could harm our troops. The problem is that such rules tend to be over done and never go away after the threat ends, can you say gun control, Canadians sure can.

I'll give Ellwood Epps a try, thanks Kirk.

Harry O
08-30-2010, 08:32 PM
I have used all three cases. I would place them as (1) Starline, (2) Remington, and (3) Winchester. All three are different lengths. I you want any accuracy at all, you must keep the brass segregated and trim all of them in each headstamp to the length of the shortest one in that headstamp.

Four Fingers of Death
08-30-2010, 09:08 PM
I'll give Ellwood Epps a try, thanks Kirk.

Wow! is he still in business? I have fancied converting one of my 303s to a 303Epps for many years. I might buy a reamer.

I just googled him and sent an email.