PDA

View Full Version : Marlin meets moose makes meat

Bullshop
09-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Day six score. Been seein legal bulls about every day since opening but two time's them blasted bison ran interferance. The farmer that lets me hunt his property asks only one thing that I dont run the bison cuz they tear up too much crop. When they arent spooked they walk single file but when spooked they cut a wide swath.
Twice this week while stalking a bull the bison came out of the timber and eather chased away my moose or just blocked my path so I couldnt procede.
Today I was set up for ambush by 5:30. The northern lights were doin a snake dance over head while I waited in the cold for sun up. By 6:30 I couldnt stand still no more for the cold so slipped into the timber to kindle a small warming fire. So got my toes warmed up and about every ten minutes I poke the 10 x Sworofskies out for a look see.
First a cow and calf, DRATS!! Bout 7:30 I peeks out and there is two small bulls slippin through the head high (my head) willows makin for the timber line. OK here we go!!! First bull much larger than the second but dang he has a third point on the on side. Ok ok swing to the second smaller bull he should be a spike or fork right, NOT! He has forks but also a brow tine on each side, not good! Swing back to first bull nearing timber, come on come on turn you head, a little more little more BINGO a fork on the off side with no other points.
At about a hunerd now and slippin through the willows at a brisk clip. Grab a sappling to steady up the new Marlin XLR 45/70 , a wee bit of lead and kaboom, SMACK and he just piles up right now. That 325 gn RCBS starting at 2150 fps cought him right at the base of the neck and angled through then exited bout center of the off sholder. That little acww boolit mashed up alota bone and penitrated alota moose. I havnt done a post mortem, too tired. He is bagged and home though and I am bushed!
Three new things tried this year, the new Marlin XLR, the lighter RCBS boolit, and that little 4x compact loopy on a lever gun and I like tham all.
BIC/BS

C1PNR
09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Now that sounds like Making Meat! And one shot to do it. Good job and good eating to you and the family.

That Moose is SO GOOD eating! I'm jealous.

Ranch Dog
09-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Outstanding!!!

Finn45
09-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the review and congratulations!
Still need to wait three and a half weeks here.

Nrut
09-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Way to go Dan!...
Was hop'en to hear you shot it with that 480gr pure lead bullet you were talking about.....that would flatten anything....do they have open Bison season up there or are they on draw only?...are they native to the area or imported?...

JDL
09-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Well done Bullshop and give us all the details after necroscopy! Sounds as if there is going to be some fine dining at your place.
Was that the RCBS 45-300 gas checked boolit? Mine casts out at 321 grains nekked and may accompany me next month in my quest for elk. -JDL

405 WCF
09-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Nice story!
We start the moose hunt on the 9 th of September here.
I will load my 444 with the Ranch Dog bullet this fall.

Bullshop
09-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Nrut
I was wanting to use that one too but the 325gn at 2150 fps gave me a bit more range. As it turned out I didnt need it. Hind sight 20/20. My load with the 325gn is 55gn AA #2015 in RP or Star brass. Win brass gives lower velocity.
The bison is drawing only. Its $10.00 for application non refundable so being a real ah ah ah conservative I dont apply. STUPID !!!???

JDL
Yes thats the GC version. With ww lubed and checked its about 325gn.

Thanks all for your kindness and your all invited for moose steak.
BIC/BS

StarMetal
09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Daniel,

I shot quite a few whitetail deer with my 1886 Brownchester carbine in 45-70. My load was the RCBS 405 gr over a healthy charge of H4895 for a muzzle velocity of 1850 fps (don't worry I don't shoot that load anymore...whew). One memorable hunt and shot was during doe season. I saw a group of does running across alittle valley in the wood. One took off in a different direction and I swung in lead for her. Standing up offhand I hit her kind of running at an angle away from me at about 200 yards. Lucky shot as I'm not that great off hand with a rifle. The rifle wears peeps sights. When processing her I found my bullet!!!! I was surprise, but it did go through alot of deer and we know it slowed down alot by 200 yards. Anyways it was ACWW's just like you said you use. What was amazing it it mushroomed to about the size of little more then a dime and didn't shear. I still have it in my collection. I had a pic of it in my pc at onetime but it's gone now. I couldn't have asked for better performance.

Joe

trooperdan
09-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Nrut
I
The bison is drawing only. Its $10.00 for application non refundable so being a real ah ah ah conservative I dont apply. STUPID !!!???
ww lubed and checked its about 325gn.

Thanks all for your kindness and your all invited for moose steak.
BIC/BS

Dan, one of those bison would keep in meat for a while wouldn't it? :)

DOUBLEJK
09-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Nice Goin' Dan....
Where's the dang pics tho...

swheeler
09-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Way to go BS, get your cache ready for winter, good eating to you!
Scot

Four Fingers of Death
09-20-2006, 08:02 PM
What Leupold have you got on that rifle Dan? I've got an old 444S and am considering a scope. I got an old Glenfield 30-30 on lay buy which has an old 4x Weaver Micro Trac. Mick.

Bullshop
09-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Hay Mick!
I got this little leupold in a trade. Its a 4x compact, very short with a small objective bell. It mounts so low it almost touches at both ends. The bell is just a few .000" off the rear sight with the sight laid down and the oculer lens is just a couple .000" off the weaver base at the rear. When you throw it up its right there, ya know ya dont have to look for it. The factory irons are still there. The Weaver base is hollowed out so if you pop the scope off the irons are right there ready to go.

Doublejk
I can post a nice pic of a bunch of white packages in my freezer if ya want.
I like to think of it as the trophy room.
God willing I will get to try that new Marlin on caribou in a couple months. If I can remember I will try to take a camera so yalls can see some of Gods country.
BIC/BS

Topper
09-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Congrats on your moose Bullshop.
Sounds like a lot of work, with a BIG reward;-)

obssd1958
09-20-2006, 08:38 PM
... If I can remember I will try to take a camera so yalls can see some of Gods country.
BIC/BS

Are you coming to Idaho to take pictures???
:kidding:

Seriously, someday I hope to be able to go up there and see your version of God's country!!
:drinks:

Don

Bullshop
09-20-2006, 09:01 PM
obssd1958
Well now I have spent some time working in Idaho and I am with you, Gods country. I did say SOME of Gods country cuz ya know he has lot of country.
I spent some time sawing timber over Lolo pass on the Lochsa river.
Sawed some realy big cedar down there. Use to go to Jerry Johnson hot spring or Wear creek to clean up after work.
Spent time up the panhandle too, up arround Sand Point and Pondarae.
No doubt about it Gods country.
BIC/BS

Slowpoke
09-20-2006, 10:37 PM
obssd1958
Well now I have spent some time working in Idaho and I am with you, Gods country. I did say SOME of Gods country cuz ya know he has lot of country.
I spent some time sawing timber over Lolo pass on the Lochsa river.
Sawed some realy big cedar down there. Use to go to Jerry Johnson hot spring or Wear creek to clean up after work.
Spent time up the panhandle too, up arround Sand Point and Pondarae.
No doubt about it Gods country.
BIC/BS

Tell me about the big Cedar, Big as in tall or Big as in diameter. What is the biggest in diameter you have ever seen?

Back about 1996-97 I found a Alligator bark Juniper that was over eight feet in diameter. I told my buddy I bet that tree is as old as the Mountain.

My father made a neat turtle shaped coffee table out of a five foot in diameter Cedar and he had a friend that worked for the Forest Circus and he dated it before Christ.

good luck

Four Fingers of Death
09-21-2006, 06:21 AM
dan I saw some of those new Marlins at the local gun shop today. Nice looking rifles. Boy, they are long aren't they! Mick.