PDA

View Full Version : 7x57

wild thing
08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
I have an 1897 number 1 Mexican rolling block chambered in 7x7 mauser. Has anyone used cast bullets in this rifle? The rifle locks up very tightly. What would be a good cast bullet weight for this rifle? I haven't yet slugged the bore and don't know the twist yet. Just looking for a little information . Any sugested loads to get staarted? Probably should keep preasures and velocity fairly low. Thanks forany help. John

Bret4207
08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
I had one of these years ago. The problem you'll run into is barrel condition/size and throat length. If the barrel is good that's step one. If it's even close to something off the shelf, say .286/7 in the groove, you'll be lucky. The long throats on these also can cause problems.

Start at step one and slug the barrel, see what you get. There aren't a lot of choices in heavy 7mm designs, and if the barrel is over at all you might consider paper patching.

1Shirt
08-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Wish I had one! However, have a 77 Ruger in 7x57, and would suggest low end start on loading for your Mex. I would go with the heavy molds by preference, in the 150-175 gr. bracket, and start with the min suggested Lyman loads. Would also suggest that you slug your bbl.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

atr
08-30-2010, 09:23 AM
I have one of these myself,,,,,,start with the heavier boolits 150gr minimum. Use loads from the Lyman manual. For powders I have used 2400 and IMR 4895 pretty successfully for cast boolit loads, and IMR 4895 and IMR 4350 for Jacketed loads. The throat length on some these rifles really make shooting accurately difficult for both Cast and Jacketed.
If you keep the pressures low,,,or should I say to low, the cases won't expand and seal in the chamber in which case you might feel some escaping gas coming back through the rolling block....SO I SUGGEST YOU WEAR SHOOTING OR SAFETY GLASSES.

wild thing
08-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys for the information. As soon as I get some time I will slug the bore and go from there.John

HORNET
08-30-2010, 07:38 PM
You should probably try to find a neck-sizing die or collet die for that rifle as well. The chambers tend to be generous (at the least) and you'll wear yourself and the brass out quickly with standard dies.
One of the hardest kicking rifles that I've ever shot of a bench. That 1 foot drop in the stock gives everything a running start at your jawbone. Got OLD real quick....and the safety glasses are highly recommended.

MtGun44
08-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Interesting, I've always thought that my 7x57 RB was a super pussycat on recoil.

Rifling is well worn and have not tried cast yet.

Bill

Buckshot
08-31-2010, 01:15 AM
...............The twist in your RB should be 8.6". I have a 1897 in 7x57. The barrel is simply marked 7mm. I had one previously and it's barrel was marked "7mm Spanish". There is no national crest on it or other markings.

http://www.fototime.com/51033A5247B82E1/standard.jpg

These are 2 targets shot at 50 yards using the RCBS 7mm-168 sized to .285". The 2 powders (WC860 & WC872) are both very slow military surplus ball. The top target has 4 shots in less then an inch and the bottom one has 3 in an inch but also a couple leakers. Considering no great pains were taken in the reloading, the issue iron sights and trigger (and the velocity) they weren't to bad.

The barrel on my RB is like new, and the only problem is that the neck area of the chamber is rather generous. You can almost drop a 30 cal slug through the neck of a fired case :-)

.................Buckshot

Bret4207
08-31-2010, 07:56 AM
One of my first deer rifles was a RB in7x57. Barrel was cut back to about 20" and we used Norma factory since we had a lot of loose rounds. Flame shot 3 feet out the muzzle.

Wish I still had that rifle.