PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Flintlocks

daddywpb
08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm looking for a flintlock rifle that won't break the budget. Other than price, what is the difference between the Lyman Great Plains and the Trade Rifle? T/C flintlocks from what I could find are in the $800 or so range. Wow. I'm looking for something less expensive. Thanks for any comments.

docone31
08-29-2010, 06:34 PM
The Great Plains rifles are good shooting. The sights are easy to use.
Very easy rifle.

southpaw
08-29-2010, 08:52 PM
I think the trade rifle has a shorter barrel (great plains is 32") and the stocks are a little different. Plus you can get the great plains rifle in a 1-60 twist for round balls. I have a great plains rifle it shoulders very well and it will out shoot me. MOST of the time I can keep them around the 1.5" mark at 50 yards. Sometimes alittle better others... well I don't want to talk about that. Sun gets in my eyes, yeah that must be it.

The great plains hunter comes with a 1 in 32" twist. This would be better if you are looking to shoot sabots. With the faster twist it SHOULD shoot the sabots better than the trade rifle. Just depends on what you want to shoot and if the longer barrel is a problem.

Jerry Jr.

Oh yeah one other thing, Lyman makes lefthanded rifles:smile:

dualsport
08-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Check out used guns. Some great deals. Might post a want to buy here.

daddywpb
08-29-2010, 08:55 PM
What about the deerstalker line?

Dan Cash
08-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Lyman flint locks; save your money. I have one so let's start with the lock. Mine sat nearly 1/8 inch away from the touch hole which let priming powder flow freely into the lock mortise. The potential for excitement here is unlimited. Next, after fixing the lock inlet problem, I kept loosing priming powder but could not readily detect the point of loss. After lipsticking the frizzen/pan juncture, it was evident that the two did not mate so I got to spent an afternoon filing and fitting the frizzen to pan.

Next is the barrel or more exactly the rifling. When I bought mine, 1:48 was all that was offered. It is too fast for ball and too slow for picket bullets. Mine is a .54 so the newer offering of 1:66 is an improvement but still too fast for round ball IMO. Accuracy sucked and still does.

This gun is in no way worth the money. Buy something else; build from scratch; use a flint knife and stone club. Anything else has to be better.

southpaw
08-29-2010, 10:05 PM
What about the deerstalker line?

I have one of those aswell :grin:. Shoots the maxis real well. It has a shorter barrel (24" I think). The great plains just fits me better. I don't have a trade rifle so I can't compare the deerstalker to it.

Look around at some of the gun shops and see if they have any of them (or maybe some one that lives close to you has one) and see if you can handle one.

I forgot to mention the great plains also has a set trigger. The trade rifle and the deerstalker do not have a set trigger.

Jerry Jr.

BTW I am very happy with my lymans. I have had no issues with them other than the one time I forgot to put powder in the barrel.

Marvin S
08-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Go to Trackofthewolf.com. Lots of stuff there and if a T/C flint is what you want there is a used one for about $325.00.

home in oz
08-29-2010, 10:47 PM
I will be visiting Trackofthewolf.com.

Thanks,

waksupi
08-30-2010, 12:40 AM
The Trade Rifle is closer to appearance of original rifles than many others.

Dan, actually, the 1-66, or 1-60 is my preferred twist in a .54 bore.

FL-Flinter
08-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Although I tend to prefer hunting with a gun I built myself, there came a time when I sold/swapped all my own builds and didn't have time to get another one done before hunting season. The below was taken in PA with a Deerstalker flintlock I took on trade and ended up hunting with, friend of mine purchased it new, fired about ten shots and fell in love with a .58 Jaeger I built. It's a .50 x 1:48, tuned the lock and trigger, lapped the bore and she's a shooter with PRB or conicals. The WT shown was taken at 85yds with 80gr of 2F under a PRB. I still have that Deerstalker and it's for sale, email me flintlockbuilder@yahoo.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/markkw/Family/WT_PA.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/markkw/Sale/Lyman50.jpg