PDA

View Full Version : Which custom mold maker

500bfrman
09-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Since it appears Victory molds is going down ( for the time being anyway), and mountain molds doesn't appear to be making molds again this decade. Does anybody have a preference of who they would get them to make their mold? I am kinda torn between NEI and PJ. Lee doesn't really do what I want. Money isn't an issue. Just the want the best there is.

LAH
09-06-2006, 01:24 PM
If you know what you want & have measurements, call Ballisti Cast.......Creeker

45 2.1
09-06-2006, 02:03 PM
If you know what you want & have measurements, call Ballisti Cast.......Creeker

Do they do customs?

BPCS
09-06-2006, 05:44 PM
If you look at the results of the Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette, Creedmoor and Midrange results from Raton, you will notice that Paul Jones, and Brooks moulds are at the top of the list. In fact, the 2005 final results bulletin for BP Silhouette shows that 82 used Jones and 80 used Brooks moulds of those reporting. Another extremely well machined mold is from Pioneer Products. I have owned moulds from all three makers and they are top notch.

charger 1
09-06-2006, 07:47 PM
I got a pleasant surprise as of late. Now that LBT is going again,I have found from talking to the owner,Veral Smith that although he makes certain standard molds he will adjust and modify to your specs..Kinda neat

Greg5278
09-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Victory is still in business. Steve needs some more work to keep him in business with Victory. Moldmaking is his part time job. He is a bit backlogged, and cannot get a mold done quickly. His excellent full custom work is well worth the wait. If you were in his shoes sitting on expensive machines gathering dust you might reconsider keeping them also. Trust me you won't be disappointed in a Victory Mold.

Tell him Greg Sappington sent you

500bfrman
09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
I have no doubt that he does fine work. I have never heard even one iota of bad report about him. But, if he's working 100 hours a week he probably won't have a lot of time to work on them. I guess I should see how long of a wait it will be from him. I wasn't trying to slam him just saying it will be a LONG while.

waksupi
09-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Anyone familiar with Pioneer? Guy name of Leeth, apparently. One of the guys at work has a couple of his molds, and say they are excellent machine work.

Dale53
09-07-2006, 01:07 AM
Fred Leeth (both junior and senior) are friends of mine. Fred Senior makes the moulds. He is an EXCELLENT machinist and both are top notch shooters (BPCR Silhouette and Long Range). They know what works in the black powder rifles, that is for sure. Their moulds are VERY nice. He has an unique design for a nose pour mould that really works.

Pioneer Products, 254 Johnsville Brookville Road, Brookville, OH, 45309, Custom Bullet Molds, shooting supplies and accessories.

Dale53

AkMike
09-07-2006, 02:14 AM
I'd vote for Jim Borton and Berry Darr. They're tops in schutzen style molds and will make and design and build everything..
You can reach Jim at: bortons@erinet.com
OR Barry at: bwschutzpaper@lcsys.net

Lloyd Smale
09-07-2006, 05:09 AM
as creaker said ballistic cast will do customs. They did a .512 for me not to long ago

Char-Gar
09-07-2006, 05:52 AM
Hoch still does fine custom work. The best molds ever made came from the shop of Rob Applegate, but I don't think he does than any more.

Dale53
09-07-2006, 11:13 AM
AkMike;
I have a Jim Borton/Barry Darr mould and it is probably the finest mould I have in my rather extensive "Collection". They are certainly priced right, also ($100.00 for a single cavity, also). Their service is second to none. They produce what is agreed upon, exactly, and I mean EXACTLY, and do it rather quickly.

Dale63

DonH
09-11-2006, 06:50 PM
I have owned and used a Steve Brooks mould. Very, very good and Steve is a real gentleman to deal with. I have seen the Leeth (Pioneer) moulds and though I have not cast with one the bullets work very well. I own a Borton & Darr mould for .32-40 and have another on hand and they are indeed top-notch. Not to be overlooked are the moulds made by David Mos of Arkansas. I have one in .45-70 and have cast with another in .32-40 (this one cast theabsolute most consistent batch of bullets of any mould I have ever used). Contact any one of these gents and accurately communicate to them just what you want and you will not go wrong. I suggeat listening to any advise they might offer because they just may have been there and done that.

Greg5278
09-12-2006, 10:52 AM
What is the largest caliber mold those other mold makers can do? I can't seem to find many people to make .73 caliber molds. So I had to make my own blocks. Are these custom makers producing there own blocks, or machining RCBS blocks? Greg

DonH
09-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Greg;
I believe Borton makes his own but will re-cut existing blocks if applicable. Brooks, I think, uses Saeco blocks. Not sure about the others. Seems like .73 cal would take a BIG block for a solid bullet.

LAH
09-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Do they do customs?

Sorry for the delay in answering. Yes they have made a couple to my design. I find no fault with their work. As with any mould maker, you must be sure they understand what you want. They cut the .476 and .501 Dry Creek Keith.

45 2.1
09-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Sorry for the delay in answering. Yes they have made a couple to my design. I find no fault with their work. As with any mould maker, you must be sure they understand what you want. They cut the .476 and .501 Dry Creek Keith.

They charge you extra for that?

LAH
09-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Yes. I had about a hundred in each one.

omgb
09-16-2006, 10:09 PM
I've got three of Veral Smith's LBT moulds and am in the process of ordering another. I like his moulds. I especially like his sprue plate design. A two cavity mould is about $135 a four cavity is $175+/- . He will cut three of the cavities as GCs and one as a PB or whatever combination at no extra cost. I think his designs are top notch for smokeless. His PB bullet that he made for me is accurate but I think it needs deeper lube grooves.

McLintock
09-17-2006, 12:56 PM
I'll put in another vote for Brooks moulds, I've got two, one in 45-70 (540 Creedmore) and one for 38-55's (335 Creedmore), and they're both great. Also got a Hoch for 38-55's and like it a lot, so "ya pays yore money and takes yore pick", gets to be a personal preference type of thing .
McLintock

EDK
10-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Steve Brooks made a mould for my 50/90 Shiloh Sharps that is great. When I called to ask his wife some questions when ordering, she had him answer and he offered some excellent advice. Turn-around was about three weeks. LARS Black Powder lube works great with it!