PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Mould. USA to Canada shipping?

fido
09-06-2006, 12:04 PM
I had a seller tell me he wouldn't ship a mould to Canada because of the gun laws. Is there a law against this? I wouldn’t think so.
Any experiences hear?
Stephen

trooperdan
09-06-2006, 12:17 PM
It would have to a Canadian laws, not US. Sounds like he is just unaware and not taking a chance but that is way overboard I think.

fido
09-06-2006, 12:41 PM
I dont think a bullet mould is clasifyed as a wepon unless you hit someone over the head with it:groner:
Stephen

Old Ironsights
09-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Meh. Just have him ship it as either "Machined Parts", or even as a "Mould, Hard Chocolate Casting, 1ea."

kywoodwrkr
09-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Maybe he is just POed at Canada's gun laws in general.
I've sent M1 carbine barrels and etc in the very close past.
I declared them sporting goods and they went through, no problem.
I did have three carbine extractors get lost for 11 months, but they even eventually arrived at their destination.
So, looks like prejudice or ignorance on the sellers part.
Remeber, not every seller on e-Bay is CEO material.
FWIW
DaveP kywoodwrkr

cabezaverde
09-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Had to jump in here.

I sell on ebay a lot and one of my pet peeves is bidders in other countries that place a winning bid and then want me to lie to their Customs people about the item being a "gift".

I have had so many buyers ask me to do this and get angry when I say no that I generally say US buyers only. It is really annoying when they bid and win with this as an expectation, becoming really angry when I have an issue with it.

Nrut
09-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Had to jump in here.

I sell on ebay a lot and one of my pet peeves is bidders in other countries that place a winning bid and then want me to lie to their Customs people about the item being a "gift".

I have had so many buyers ask me to do this and get angry when I say no that I generally say US buyers only. It is really annoying when they bid and win with this as an expectation, becoming really angry when I have an issue with it.

I can understand how you feel greenhead.....
There are however NO RESRICTIONS on shipping molds to Canada.....only reloading componets,gunparts,and scopes if you can believe that(about the scopes)!....Brownell's will ship certain gunparts such as site's if the order is under $100.00 U.S......
And those are U.S. Commerce Dept. laws not Canadian laws....
You can and I do import rifles but I have to go thru a U.S. dealer who will go too the trouble to get a U.S. export permit.....for a price of course....It used to cost me approx. $335.00 -$350.00 to import one rifle including shipping not counting the 14% tax (GST&PST) ....I have found a way to cut out the Canadian middle man by doing the Canadian paperwork myself.....Still going to cost about $125.00/ rifle but if you want a new Sharps or one of Davidsons limited editions you have no choice.......

Buckshot
09-07-2006, 03:23 AM
..............I've shipped several moulds to Canada. Most recently 6 of the 375 GB's. No hassle at all. Slap the customs declaration on the box, and the wieght (in this case 1lb 2 oz, and the description is 'Mould'. Shipped, thank you very much!

...............Buckshot

charger 1
09-07-2006, 04:31 AM
Had to jump in here.

I'm sorry I dont recall him mentioning the gift thing:brokenimaJust had to jump in here

charger 1
09-07-2006, 04:33 AM
I had a seller tell me he wouldn't ship a mould to Canada because of the gun laws. Is there a law against this? I wouldn’t think so.
Any experiences hear?
Stephen

Not a one!!!

cabezaverde
09-07-2006, 06:14 AM
I'm sorry I dont recall him mentioning the gift thing:brokenimaJust had to jump in here

He was asking for possible reasoning on why a seller would be reluctant to ship to Canada. I gave him mine.

Last Spike
09-07-2006, 07:51 AM
My experience has been that if one gets too "creative" with item descriptions or dishonest, these are more likely to get held up by the Customs guys so making the description short and sweet - ie "mould" or "machined part" or "choke" is appropriate. Things like "knife" or "gun parts" or otherwise - use your discretion as descriptions like these are a red flag for them to be stolen during transit.

My time is worth more than having to haggle with customs over a held shipment, so I don't mind paying the toll to get an item with a minimum of fuss. I will object if the toll is incorrect and higher than normal. Customs has been agreeable so far when I outline the evidence for them and refunded the difference.

Cayoot
09-07-2006, 08:05 AM
I've sold a couple moulds to Canadians (sold them on Evil Bay). I had no problem shipping them.

fido
09-07-2006, 09:42 AM
What’s the mater with putting gift on it? I do it for my US buyers. Although I don’t send down south that often, its no skin off my a@@ to scribe gift on a piece of paper.

I may have a problem doing it if the value of the item was over 200.00.

Just thought I would stir the pot.

Stephen

Sixgun Symphony
09-07-2006, 03:05 PM
What is the best carrier for shipping things to Canada?

I checked USPS and UPS. I found that UPS had was cheaper by five US dollars.

slug
09-07-2006, 03:43 PM
USPS is hands down the best way to ship anything to Canada even if it costs a few bucks more.
You can pay the postie at your door the federal and provincial taxes with a flat fee of $5.00. If the value is under $40, they usually don't bother.
Once, I had a Monta Vintage Arms tang sight arrive in the mail. It cost $375, but on the customs declaration, the value was $495 (gasp). Maybe customs thought that a small flat package was only worth four dollars and ninty-five cents, because it ended up in my mail box with no charges attached.

UPS on the other hand is a real bitch to deal with. They charge really high brokerage fees and several times, they have had theri d*cks slapped by the federal government for excessive fees, but they still keep on doing it. They once charged me $65 for a $150 carburetor. At one time, UPS Canada had a policy of not carrying any gun accessories as well, scopes, slings etc. but I don't know if they still bother now.

charger 1
09-07-2006, 04:19 PM
What is the best carrier for shipping things to Canada?

I checked USPS and UPS. I found that UPS had was cheaper by five US dollars.

UPS it and you gonna pay the purchase price twice. You gonna bleed. Do USPS and get the guy to label it GIFT :violin:

Nrut
09-07-2006, 04:43 PM
What’s the mater with putting gift on it? I do it for my US buyers. Although I don’t send down south that often, its no skin off my a@@ to scribe gift on a piece of paper.

I may have a problem doing it if the value of the item was over 200.00.

Just thought I would stir the pot.

Stephen

Well for one reason Stephen it's dishonest to label something a gift when it is not.....maybe there is a reason at least 40% of the time I cross the border I get hassled by canadian customs and not by U.S. customs.....if you get my drift...
Same goes for your last post charger1........[smilie=1:

charger 1
09-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Laugh a little fellas, it adds years to your life :)

Nrut
09-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Laugh a little fellas, it adds years to your life :)

That and listening to SIRIUS/Blues!.........:-D

montana_charlie
09-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I ran that mould handle group buy which brought about $800 worth of 'gun related' material into the US from Canada. At the beginning of my dealing with Rick, the maker in Canada, he made it clear he would not 'lie' on the customs declaration about what was inside...or it's value.

In our research (from both ends), and discussions about what we discovered, we decided that 'smaller parcels' are less likely to draw the attention of 'money hungry customs inspectors'...and we decided that the word 'bullet' might be better left off of the declaration.

The boxes (four of them), with 'machined tools' on the declaration, came through without a hitch. The value of the contents was accurate and clearly visible on each box.

While I agree that 'too much unnecessary information' can be problematical...
Anybody who asks you to lie...or offers to...is not somebody I would care to deal long-distance with.
CM

NVcurmudgeon
09-07-2006, 11:57 PM
I once sent a .303 case to the .303 Page in Canada, and listed it as brass tubing. Of course one side of the case was cut away to show lack of incipient separation.