PDA

View Full Version : RCBS molds--which handles fit?

Elkins45
08-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I just bought two new RCBS molds and was going to try them out this morning, but neither my Lee 6 cavity nor my Lyman 2 cavity handles would fit. The slots in the RCBS molds are too narrow to accept either set of handles.

Does RCBS use a unique handle thickness? Am I going to have to drop $40 on a set of RCBS handles just for these two molds? I may just send them back if that's the case. Either that or I'm going to have to take the grinder to a set of my Lees.

RobS
08-29-2010, 01:17 PM
The Lyman 4 cavity handles will work as they are thinner however the Lee handles will work if you modify them as you mentioned. I have several Lee six cavity handles that I lightly ground down to fit both Lyman 4 cavity molds and RCBS molds. IMHO, you are correct in that it isn't worth spending $40 on RCBS/Lyman/Saeco handles when you can modify a $12 Lee handle. When grinding/filing just make sure to take small amount of metal off at a time so you don't over-do it.

08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Elkins45,
Your Lee handles, a grinder and a file and you'll be all set. The holes are already the correct size.

Elkins45
08-30-2010, 11:43 PM
The trick is to take the excess thickness off the bottom of the tongs, since gravity causes the mold to rest itself on the top surfaces. As long as the tops remain parallel then minor tolerance differences on the bottoms won't matter.

I'm please to say that I figured this out BEFORE I started grinding. They work like a charm now.

a.squibload
08-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Glad I read here first, I was gonna just start grinding away!

Lee 6-cav. handles on sale now at Midway $11.49.