PDA

View Full Version : JIMinPHX improved sprue plates for Lee 6-cavity

BCall
08-29-2010, 11:25 AM
I little while back I bought 2 of Jim's sprue plates for the Lee 6 cavity molds. Due to a bum shoulder, I am just now getting them on a test run.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851006.jpg

He sent me 2, one with standard holes, and one with .010 holes for smaller bullets. The molds I put them on are my new RanchDog 311-165-RF and 225-50-RF. The standard one on the 30, and the small one on the 22.

I had to do a very small amount of grinding at the point where the hold down pin is. Neither would close completely, but with less than 5 minutes each and a dremel tool, I was able to get them to close perfectly. Everything else lined up perfectly. I know he made these with the tab so you could whack them open, but I normally open all of my molds with a gloved hand and in general don't like hitting them with a knocker to open the sprue plate. I tried it, didn't like it, so I installed the sprue plate opening handle.

On the .30, I really like the way it works. One long solid sprue, have been getting nice clean cuts and sharp bases. It is working very well for me, and I like the feel of it. I don't think I need that extended tab out there, but that is just me. I might decide to trim it off later. But maybe not, it might be nice to have if I need it sometime instead of using too much force and breaking the sprue handle.

The .22 on the other hand has been a trial in frustration. Not Jim's fault as I specified the .010 sprue hole, and that is what he provided. If I had to do it over again, I would go a bit larger and will probably try to open up these a little at some point. I REALLY like the small sprue mark it leaves on the base of the boolit, but am having trouble getting complete fill out. I cannot get a thin enough lead stream to go straight in the hole, and then it bounces over to the next hole in the trough and starts to solidify before I can get that cavity to fill. I think if I want that small of hole, I will have to do away with the trough so as to keep the lead from flowing over to the next cavity before I am ready to fill it.

All in all, I have enjoyed using the 30 very much. I like the plates and will most likely try to order more after the first of the year for some of my most used molds. Hopefully I can figure out a way to make the 22 one work for me. They are nicely machined and I like them very well. Just wish I had specified a slightly larger hole for the 22 one.

JIMinPHX
08-29-2010, 05:57 PM
I've been thinking about making up a lead ladle that is a few inches high, so that gravity puts some push behind the liquid stream. I was also thinking about making up a sort of needle nose spout for it so that I can stick it inside a sprue hole & have some clearance around the outside for added venting. Something like that might help with your .22 issues. I'll let you know when I actually get one made.

Thanks for the write up. The feedback is helpful.

Regards,
Jim

BCall
08-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I dunno Jim, I bottom pour, I don't think the ladle is for me. I try, but I do better with the bottom pour. I don't usually have trouble with 22's, I think it is just the combination of the small hole and the trough for me personally. It splashes to the next cavity, and I am not fast enough to keep up. When I didn't get the splash over, I did get some good pours, but they were few. I think in my particular instance, to get that small of a hole to work for me I will have to do away with the trough. I think that would prevent the splash over and solve the issue. Either that or a thinner stream of lead, a slightly larger hole and a quicker hand. But I can't get a thinner stream from my Lee pot, so I don't know how well that will work. Later I'm going to try to enlarge the holes very slightly and see if that helps. I do like the sprue plates. Thanks, Billy

crabo
08-29-2010, 11:45 PM
BCall, one of the things that I do is hold the mold at an angle so the splash over is minimized going into the next cavity. I agree about larger holes.

Crash_Corrigan
09-01-2010, 04:12 PM
My but those are nice looking sprue plates. I get excited just looking at them. I expect a few set of them on my 6 banger 250 and 240 .44 and .45 molds would make for some more speed in casting.

excess650
09-13-2010, 05:06 PM
I just used the new sprue cutter as pictured:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=88319&page=6 (post #115)

This is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT over the Lee cam operated sprue cutter!

My post #125 from that thread:

"I ordered a 6 cavity, conventional sprue plate as pictured in post #115. Jim mailed it Saturday, and I received it today, Monday. After inspecting it and a quick wash, it went on a Lee 6 cavity group buy 311041 that I had received in trade. My frst casting session with it, and my Ranch Dog 311-165 both proved more frustrating than anything with original spue cutters. I had hoped for production, but couldn't get the sharp, untorn bases I was looking for.

Jim's sprue plate replaces the original, but the mold it turned 180* in the handles so that it operates like a conventional mold rather than with the cam. I preheated the mold by putting it on top of the pot while it came up to temperature. I made (3) casts into the sprue box and then began dropping good bullets into the water bucket. Instead of an occasional good base, they were all good unless the operator did something wrong.

The downside is that this sprue plate is heavy. A little creative trimming on a bandsaw will rectify that issue. I will be using this plate on ALL of my Lee 6 cavity molds until I order more. This is a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED modification.

Thanks Jim!"

wistlepig1
09-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Jim, I know this post is about 6 cavities but I put your trough in my 2 cav 22 Bator and enlarged the holes a little. That made a big diff in the original cutter, i got better bases and better cuts. The enlarged spru made for better fill out, my guess that is due to the overhead pressure of liquid lead. Your on to something here. Thanks Martin

timbuck
10-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Hi Jim,
Are you going into production on these. I would buy some, 3 to start.

JIMinPHX
10-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Timbuck,

I'm making them as needed right now. I have a few semi-finished ones on the shelf. My day job has had me tied up lately. I haven't been in the shop in about 3 weeks, but I will probably get a chance to duck back in there again pretty soon. Let me know what you want & I'll see if I can get them knocked out right after I take care of about 4 other little things that I have already promised to other people.