PDA

View Full Version : Taking the gas check out of a mold

woodpile
08-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I did a search and couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Is it possible to take a Lee two cavity gas checked mold and hone or lathe the gas check out so you would be left with a slightly heavier plain base bullet with same design?

Bill*
08-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Quick answer is YES. Some people here could do it for you. Maybe "Buckshot"? or "JIMinPHX"?

turbo1889
08-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Yes, you can even do it yourself with the right size drill bit, a quality drill press, a steady hand, and nerves of steel.

You can also have a professional in the business of modifying molds do the job for you (Erik @ www.hollowpointmolds.com) or some of the private individuals on this forum with machining equipment and skills would probably help you out down in the swapping section if you put up a wanted add for that service.

woodpile
08-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Now that I know it can be done I will talk to a machinest I work with there in town and see if he can do it. Thanks Steve

KCSO
08-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Here's how I do It...

I square and center the mould block in a 4 jaw chuck n my lathe. When the face is square i use a boring bar to take out the cavity two the desired diameter. I did a Lee 8mm mouuld here a while back for a 32 special rifle, one cavity with the gas check and one without. Shooting light loads of Trail Boss accuracy was just as good with the modified section as with the original gas check bullet.

JIMinPHX
08-29-2010, 06:02 PM
The easiest way to do a good job of it is to use a Bridgeport with a boring head. Most any local machine shop should have that. Just ask him to individually indicate each bore to center, because the cavity spacing is not always perfectly even.

Lathes work well too, but the set up is more time consuming.

The other methods require a lot more craftsmanship & are less reliable. Some folks get good results with fairly basic tools, but I consider those individuals to be highly skilled.

Shiloh
08-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Yup,

If you have a milling machine and the knowledge, it is a cinch. E-mail Buckshot or go here:
www.hollowpointmolds.com

Shiloh

Buckshot
08-31-2010, 01:45 AM
http://www.fototime.com/5222DC16BDE75D7/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/B192E415C34AD5F/standard.jpg

A couple different moulds with the GC shank bored out.

............Buckshot

Catshooter
08-31-2010, 05:44 PM
woodpile,

If you search for threads by me in this forum you'll see some pics of some of this type of work that I have done also.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Cat

Beerd
09-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Since Woodpile is thinking of doing this to a 2 hole Lee mould he probably wants it done as economically as possible.

woodpile
09-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I droppedit off at the machinest today. Worked out a trade that will work for both of us. Thanks for all the info. Steve