PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag starline brass

white eagle
08-29-2010, 10:07 AM
anyone have trouble with this brass ????
I have had 4-5 cases split down the side and its quite irregular
I use the same charge in other brass and these split
I thought starline was supposed to be good brass [smilie=s:

felix
08-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Lots of factors. Prolly not the fault of the brass itself, but how it was stored and the cylinder it was shot in. If the brass is thick, and the cylinders big, then trouble can be expected. Primer pockets can give a clue as well. ... felix

Firebricker
08-29-2010, 10:39 AM
I use Starline for .44 mag and .45 Colt and have had nothing but good results from them. It's not impossible they had a bad batch but it is unlikely. I would take felix's advise and look into other factors if nothing show's up call Starline and talk with them. I'm sure if it is a bad run of brass that they will make it right. FB

cajun shooter
08-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I buy and use Starline brass for all the calibers that I shoot. I have some cases that have been loaded at least 10 times and will most likely shoot another 10 times.I am talking about 44mag,45 auto, 357 mag, 45 Colt and 44-40. Check all the dimensions on your gun and if you don't have the proper tools to do so have it checked ay a gunsmith.You can also have a friend who has a 44 mag shoot one of your loads in his hand gun. Measure the fired case from yours and compare it to the one fired in his gun.

home in oz
08-29-2010, 01:42 PM
I have had good results in 44 mag and 45 colt.

44man
08-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Starline is about the best.
Doesn't matter what brass you try, if a case is going to split it usually happens at the first firing. I am still shooting .44 brass that has been loaded over 40X. Never split one except at the first loading. My SBH has LARGE chambers, anything shot out of it will not go in any other .44.

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
I only have 6-7 reloads on my Starline 44 mag brass, no problems here at all. :Fire:

Mal Paso
08-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Last Saturday I ran 100 fullhouse loads through my Redhawk without problems. Starline Brass made in July of this year. I've seen That Kind of split only once before in once fired Remington brass. Same Gun.

white eagle
08-31-2010, 10:15 AM
use it in my 45 no probs
just the 4dfoe

timkelley
08-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Good in my Rossi 92 Clone.

Whitworth
08-31-2010, 03:04 PM
I've used Starline brass in a number of different calibers and I like it the best.

gwalchmai
08-31-2010, 03:29 PM
I had four or five .45 Colts split like that out of one batch of Starline (ragged line all the way down the side of the case). All the rest have been fine for several loadings.

Snobal
09-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I "discovered" Starline brass a couple of years ago.

Truly excellent sales and service!

Been doing a "torture test" on some .357 Mag cases from Starline.

The first batch of 50 cases had the first split neck (a very minor split) on the 30th reloading. As of the 37th reloading, I have had a total of 6 cases with minor splits in the necks.

My second batch of 50 cases had the first split neck on the 25th reloading.

Last week, I took that first batch to the range to see if the six split necks would do anything noticeable to group size. From sand bags, at 20 yards, the six cases with split necks put the six bullets into 1.6", c-t-c.

Seems that most of my reloading manuals insist that cases with split necks be "removed from service." Why? They still group fine and the splits don't seem to be growing very much.:?:

Groo
09-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Groo here
The split neck can cause a squib shot by not holding the bullet long enough for
the powder to get going..

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I use starline in 41M and 44Mag.
I've had only good results.
Jon

runfiverun
09-04-2010, 03:12 AM
i gain about 50 fps with starline over rem brass and some40-50 airc with rem over win brass,
you can't just change brass without doing a work-up.

SierraWhiskeyMC
09-04-2010, 09:33 AM
My Dad used Starline brass in his .44 Magnums (Ruger Blackhawk and S&W M29-2) never had any problems.

i gain about 50 fps with starline over rem brass and some40-50 airc with rem over win brass,
you can't just change brass without doing a work-up.

^^^^^-- this!

Gotta watch the Rem brass; it seems to be thinner than many other brands. Doesn't seem to reload well at all for .45 ACP; get inconsistent tension on the boolits.

As always, if you change ANY component or your OAL (seating depth), start at the bottom and work up again; it's a whole new ballgame.

Freischütz
09-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Starline 44 brass has been equal to any other major US brand that I've used.

Recluse
09-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I prefer Starline for my .44 Special "match loads" as I've found it to be superb in both consistency and durability.

:coffee:

MakeMineA10mm
09-05-2010, 10:37 AM
It wasn't nickle-plated was it?

I found nickle-plated to split like this before the non-plated will, but that was with 15-yr-old brass that had been reloaded too many times to count, not on first firing. I think the nickle-plating process, added to the work-hardening of repeated sizing and firing, causes those cracks earlier on the nickle-plated brass.

My recommendation, if you had quite a few do it, is to call Star-Line and let them know what's going on. They'll probably want the whole box of brass back and replace it with new for free, if it's a problem with a large percentage of the brass (like >5%). If it's not that many, they may just send you some extra brass or compensate you some other way. They have good customer service.

JIMinPHX
09-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Every piece of star line that I've used has been top quality stuff, but anyone can have a bad batch. If other brass is working well & the star line is not, then the star line is certainly suspect. I would start off by measuring everything. measure the gun, the brass, the boolits & the powder charge that you remove from the left over loaded rounds, if you have any.

TCLouis
09-05-2010, 06:47 PM
I have shot 800 of a thousand I bought and have not had one issue.
I spit and sputtered how much it had gone up from the time I started to buy it until I finally did. Looking now really makes me glad I bought "then". i sure wish I had been that smart with the 45-70 brass.

I did have some issues with longitudinal splitting with some Remington 357 Max brass a few years ago.

i figure that they get in to some bad alloy once in a wile and is shows in the end.

I remember finding 50 pieces of split 45 Long Colt brass at the range one day. Later found that a friend had a NEW Ruger BH and every one split when he fired it. Bad cylinder or brass, I never heard, but he had plans of reloading it after he emptied it.