PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Mold Parts Help

tophet1
08-28-2010, 11:45 PM
I have just sheared off the head of the screw that holds the sprue plate on he top of my 416-350-GC single cavity mold. I have got all the parts out ok.

RCBS unfortunately doesn't export directly overseas.

Does onyone know of a parts supplier that can help an Aussie get a replacement screw (or two) to downunder to repair my mold.

Cheers,

John

trevj
08-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Shoot an email off to kaltool@mts.net

Posts here as Red River Rick, company name is KAL Tool and Die, IIRC.

Or you can link to his page on the CastPics link, at the bottom of the page, pick 'Members Products', then 'Red River Rick'.

Sells rebuild kits for new and old molds and should have no troubles with sending to Aus, as he is Canadian based, so no US Homeland Insecurity silliness to deal with.

Worth checking out!

Cheers
Trev

tophet1
08-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Thx Trevj,

Our Aussie soldiers are dieing in Afghanistan alongside the Americans but we can't trade with them. Crazy stuff.

John

GLL
08-29-2010, 12:52 AM
tophet1:

I can get the screws and mail them to you !

PM me an address !

Jerry

Hardcast416taylor
08-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Tophet1. As a fellow addict of the .416 illness myself can you tell us what was the cause of the shearing of the bolt head. Was the mold preheated before you started using it? What caliber are you casting this boolet for?Robert

Heavy lead
08-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Thx Trevj,

Our Aussie soldiers are dieing in Afghanistan alongside the Americans but we can't trade with them. Crazy stuff.

John

I agree, as someone in the USA, I find it idiotic.

GLL
08-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Screws go out to you tomorrow ! Not sure how long it will take to get to you though !

Jerry

tophet1
09-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Screws go out to you tomorrow ! Not sure how long it will take to get to you though !

Jerry

Thx GLL :cool:

Hardcast, I'm casting the RCBS 350-RN-GC for my CZ .416 Rigby. The mold was pre-heated and I only gave the sprue plate a 'push' to close it after csting 7 boolits and the bolt head sheared off. I'm guessing anything man made can fail.

Again Thx GLL.

GLL
09-03-2010, 12:29 AM
John:

I happened to have bolts in my "extras" box !

Two bolts were put on the plane to NSW Tuesday California time ! Hopefully they will be there by Christmas ! :)

When yours sheared off were the flat spring washers and set screws in place ?

Jerry

tophet1
09-03-2010, 12:55 AM
I've discussed this with a mate. I can't remember seeing any flat spring washers. The set screw was there. I've got a good collection of washers and springs at home in my 'poverty box' (as we call it. For when your too poor to buy new). I'll make sure one is used between the bolt head and sprue plate. No screws though as we are metric and the broken screw looked like a fine thread.

trevj
09-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Thx Trevj,

John

Same deal here in Canada!

Much like the gun control people use attacks by freaks and psycho's as reasons to change the way gun owners are treated, the homeland security paranoids used the terrorist attacks as a means to get their industry up and running, and exert their bit of control over the way things are done.

Can't help but wonder how big a kick in the collective gonads this has been, for all the businesses that could no longer export, without paying stupid amounts to do so, and how much of an impediment to legitimate trade it has been, at a time when, frankly, the economy could use it.

Glad you got a source sorted out!

Cheers
Trev

primersp
09-04-2010, 01:33 AM
give a mail directly at rcbs ,i 'm looking for a retaining die nut for a lubrisizer no abble to find one here the importator never repond to my mail ,i received one at no charge in less than a week.

GLL
09-08-2010, 12:59 AM
John:

One week ! That was pretty quick mail service !

Happy to help !

Jerry

tophet1
09-08-2010, 04:24 AM
Thx again GLL. There is a cold lager with your name on it in my refridgerator.

GLL
09-08-2010, 10:32 AM
John:

Thank you for the beer !

Unfortunately it would cost me about $1000 to fly over to drink it ! :) :)

Jerry

Southron Sanders
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
The way sprue plates are held on using only a screw and a "lock screw" is TERRIBLE.

First of all, during a casting session, the screw holding the sprue plate on has a tendency to loosen, even when the "lock screw" is tight. This means you have to stop casting on a regular basis to tighten down your sprue plate screw.

THERE IS A MUCH, MUCH BETTER WAY:

1. Take off sprue plate, and then using a drill press, drill out the sprue plate screw hole ALL THE WAY THRU THE MOULD BLOCK, COMING OUT ON THE BOTTOM.

2. Run down to your local hardware store and get a high quality bolt that will go completely thru the mould block and hang out about 1/2" below the bottom of the block.

3. Purchase a good quality coil spring (they sell those too at the hardware store) you can fit over the portion of the bolt hanging out below the block. Install it and then using a washer and nut, tighten the nut down to partially compress the spring.

Of course, the spring will put "live pressure" on the head of the bolt, and this will hold the sprue plate down as it should be. Then you can cast away and enjoy a 1000% IMPROVEMENT in the way your sprue plate works! No stopping every five or ten bullets to re-tighten the sprue plate screw!

This improvement will make casting sessions go much faster and with much less hassle.

NOTE: Leave your handles installed when you drill out the mould block, as you have to drill thru that part of the handle jaw.