PDA

View Full Version : Makin a mold cast bigger???

charger 1
09-06-2006, 06:24 AM
As the title says. Apart from the alloy which I've been all over the place on,and the temp,is there any way to gain a couple thou. The mold is heavily used,would a good cleaning do anything?and with what?

BABore
09-06-2006, 07:53 AM
You didn't state what the mold material is or how much bigger you need to be. It's kind of irrevelant as to just cleaning, but will make a difference if you desire to open it's dimensions through other means.

I find that just a single cleaning will rarely get a mold squeaky clean. This applies to both iron and aluminum. Don't own a brass mold, but suspect it would be the same. I usually scrub a mold with Dawn dish detergent and toothbrush under very hot water several times. This is followed by brake cleaner, again scrubbing the cavities. Then it's on to the first casting session which rarely goes perfect. I usually have to repeat the cleaning routine once or twice more until I'm really satisfied. I've tried just dish soap, and just brake cleaner, but it seems that the application of both, back to back, is better. I haven't seen cleaning increase bullet size to any real amount, but perfect fillout is realized.

On an older well used mold, I have seen buildup of carbon material that is tough to remove. After a good cleaning I use a new bronze brush in my cordless drill to clean the cavities of my iron molds. I've never done an aluminum mold like this and definitely wouldn't use a bronze brush on it. A nylon one might work, but I would try it on the outside first to see if it abraded things.

I don't think any extensive cleaning will increase your bullet size unless your cavities are filled with lots of carbon buildup or you habitually use mold release in them. I'm sure your aware of the other methods of opening them up like Beagling, lapping, and controlled corrosion. One of these will probably be your solution.

charger 1
09-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Sorry it is aluminum. seems to have a beige colored buildup, I'm going to try scrubbing as you have mentioned

SharpsShooter
09-06-2006, 08:57 AM
A good cleaning won't hurt, but I doubt it will gain you any diameter worth mentioning. If it was dirty enough to affect diameter, the boolits likely looked pretty bad to start with. If you need diameter and additional heat does not get it done, here is a article on "Beagling" that will head you the right direction.

http://ktsammo.250x.com/castboolits/cst3.html

SS

44woody
09-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Charget 1 I opened up a lee 6 banger once I took and casted a soft bullet and put a screw in the center of it then took valve grinding compound and rolled the bullet in it then chucked it up in my drill and spunn it around don't take much so be careful as to how much you spin it and that is how I did it :castmine: 44Woody