PDA

View Full Version : More 32 Special info.

45-70 Chevroner
08-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Well I went and bought a Lee case length guage, a Lee boolit mold # C-324-175-1R and a box of 8MM gas checks. all toll about $60.00 including shipping. Molded up a batch of boolits. Sized them to .322" and lubed. I loaded up ten of them well you guessed it they would not chamber the nose is to fat. These are for the 8MM mauser or what ever. I had a delimma on my hands, no one makes a mold specficaly for the 32 Special. I had told someone on this web site that Lee made a mold for the 32, but as it turns out this boolit will work. I slept on it a couple of nights, and finally came up with what I thought would be a solution to the problem. 1. sanded the nose with sand paper to reduce the size of the nose diameter, what a mess that was, back to the drawing board. 2. use a pincel sharpner, this was even worse. 3. make something to squeez the nose to make it a little smaller like a some kind of plyers, never did figure that one out. Then I remembered some one on this site that suggested sizing the nose of a bore riding boolit to fit the bore a little better. I have 4 different 30 caliber GH&I dies. A .308, .309, .310 and .311. I started with the .311 and didn't have to go any further. All I did was, first I used a wide nose nose punch that fit the gas check Then pushed the nose of the boolit in just to the first band, the nose will center its self as it goes in to the die Wow! it works great. The loaded rounds chamber perfectly. My first loads will be 9 Grs. unique and 18 Grs. of H-4198. I will also be test a NEI 150 Gr with the same loads. Now all I have to do is test them at the range. I am also woundering if some one else has tried This Lee boolit in the 32 Spec.?

Bob in Revelstoke
08-28-2010, 11:50 PM
What kind of rifle do you have? I use the same in a Marlin 336 and have had no trouble whatsoever. My rifle was made in 1952 and really likes cast loaded to 30 30 specs.

45-70 Chevroner
08-29-2010, 01:21 AM
I have a Pre 64 Mod. 94 made about 1935 or there about it was my Grand Fathers. He gave it to me at least 10 times. He would say to me have you got my rifle and of course I would say yes grand paw and he would say to me well maybe you had better bring it back because I might go deer hunting this year, this all started when he was about 68 or 69 and that went on for 10 years. Each time this happened a month or so later he would say johnny I have a rifle for you and give it to me again he died when he was 80. I have actually given it to my second oldest grand son once and then took it back, but I gave him a post 64 30-30 rifle because its pretty hard to find ammo for the 32. I also told him that the 32 still belongs to him when he starts casting and reloading.

West Creek
08-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Hey Chevroner - If I were you I'd tell him that story about how you aquired that rifle a few times now and set on that rifle till yer a little older and yer grandson is a little older. Play the same trick on him as yer grandad. Give it to him every spring and come august ask for it back. Sounds like a tradition to me. He'll remember it fondley. I know I would. I have my grandads shotgun and his stories told to me while sitten on the front porch swing will stay with me forever.

sundog
08-29-2010, 09:59 AM
RCBS and Ranch Dog both have very good 170 gr GC boolits for the 32 Spl.

45-70 Chevroner
08-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Yes RCBS does have a 32 mold but it's a little out of my price range. After sizing the nose of the Lee boolit, I hope it will shoot good. Plus I also have the NEI Plain Base 32 boolit of course it can not be drivin as fast as the GC boolit. Well it probably could but I would have to use COW or a P check.
There are some good posibilitys with both.

pls1911
09-11-2010, 02:23 PM
It doesn't sound like you load or shoot the .32 much.
I too have two VERY nice Marlin .32s, but have never fired either one. One has a factory threaded barrel and the knurled threadcover! Apparently the prior owner's Grandad discarded the supressor when the law passed requiring it's registration and taxes.
However, I do have Ranch dog's .32 gas checked bullet mold and will gladly cast some for you next time I crank up the furnace if you're interested.
PM me and let me know.
Paul

Marvin S
09-13-2010, 08:38 PM
I have to do the same for the RCBS as well as LEE molds in my 32-40s. I use a .314 but it gets tiresome. I know you said you are short on money but check out my group buy proposal for a 32 Lever action boolit.

Chainsaw2
09-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Could one just PP a .30 boolit and get the same results?

jim

Char-Gar
09-26-2010, 02:35 PM
The RCBS 170 FNGC bullet was designed for the 32 Win. Special. They deliver outstanding accuracy in mine and most other rifles. Cost more than a Lee? Certainly but you get allot more. An RCBS mold will last several lifetimes and produce excellent bullets the entire time. Lee molds don't have a long life. In the long run the cost per bullet with the RCBS will be cheaper by far.

The old saying about being "penny wise and pounds foolish" applies to buying a Lee mold instead of an RCBS or other quality mold.

I have not used one of Ranch Dog's molds, but the design enjoys a very good reputation. He has Lee cut the molds on the 6 hole blocks. These Lee "gang molds" are head and shoulders above there 2 holers in quality and life span. You can cast enough bulllets out of a Lee six hole mold to make it a good value. They require some "leementing" but one set up, you can cast a pile of bullets very quick. If the rifle is to be used for hunting and not plinking you can cast up a couple of thousand in a day and then sell the mold and a decent price. Two or three thousand bullets for field use will last you a lifetime. That keeps the cost way..down!

Just my opinion...and I could be wrong!

zdogk9
10-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes RCBS does have a 32 mold but it's a little out of my price range. After sizing the nose of the Lee boolit, I hope it will shoot good. Plus I also have the NEI Plain Base 32 boolit of course it can not be drivin as fast as the GC boolit. Well it probably could but I would have to use COW or a P check.
There are some good posibilitys with both.

The RCBS mould will cost about as much as three boxes of ammunition. Say two trips to the range if you're taking it easy on the shooting.I figure that I can't afford NOT to buy moulds for every fire arm I have that will shoot cast well. It's money well spent and the mould will hold it's value should decide you don't like it
Z

semtav
10-12-2010, 12:06 AM
I bought an RCBS 170 Gr mold off this sight about 1 yr ago for a friends 8mm cause the price was right, thinking I'd probably wind up with an 8mm someday.
Well I haven't yet, but I did just wind up with 2 32 Specials. (a model 94 and a model 64).
Just cast some bullets from it and loaded a bunch of rounds to test.
It appears this bullet is the perfect fit for this gun, even tho it does say 8mm on the mold.

I also acquired a Lyman 32359 about the same time. Will have to check it out too.

Brian

semtav
10-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Took 5 shells with 20 gr and 5 shells w 22 gr 3031 to the range.

Ran into a big problem with the model 64.

took full elevation on the rear sight, and still 6" under the bullseye at 50 yds.

Any ideas to cure that?

thanks
Brian

Char-Gar
10-12-2010, 11:27 PM
More velocity and/or a lower front sight.

semtav
10-13-2010, 12:35 AM
I went and tried the more velocity route this afternoon.
26 gr 3031 brought it up 6 to 10 inches, but scattered them all over.

Might have to try a complete different load.

thanks

Baron von Trollwhack
10-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Semtav: try trimming all cases to the same length, size less than F/L, use an "m" die, change to something like varget, try a series from 22 grains to case full in 1 grain increments, and crimp uniformly. Your ship will come in.

BvT

semtav
10-13-2010, 10:59 PM
OK BvT

I noticed some shiney spots on the mouth of a lot of the brass. Like it was hitting the rifling.

I am shooting these singleshot for offhand gong shooting. Do you still think they need a crimp, or was the "crimp them uniformly" comment made assuming I was going to load them in the tube?

Thanks
Brian

Baron von Trollwhack
10-14-2010, 08:51 AM
No Sir. The crimp helps to assure a more uniform bullet pull on ignition.

On long throated guns like your .32, carefully determine the longest loaded round that will chamber and eject from the chamber still loaded. It will likely also feed perfectly. Shorten if required to lever into the chamber without too much force (only light nose engraving maybe) or if needed for loaded ejection clearance. That's your go to loaded length for powder trials. Crimping in a groove is not required. Crimp on a band if needed. Use a Lee factory crimp die, or a non-bulging roll crimp.

BvT