PDA

View Full Version : 4 cavity storage box

Chapped Lips
08-28-2010, 05:10 PM
down the road i'm gonna be the proud owner of another MiHec mold.....a 4 cavity model....who offers a storage box for a 4 cavity??....would prefer plastic like lyman's..... just ordered a couple lyman's for 2 cavity MiHec's...appreciate any info....thanx.

mtgrs737
08-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Will the Lyman four cavity box work with the MiHec mould?

Chapped Lips
08-28-2010, 10:30 PM
ahhhhh.....i was on midway's website and all they showed were lyman 1cav & 2cav storage boxs.....guess i'll prowl around graf and/or natchez....didn't know about lyman 4 cavity storage boxs....thanx a bunch.

mtgrs737
08-28-2010, 10:47 PM
If you like I can measure the inside dim. of one so you can tell it one will work for you.

johnly
08-28-2010, 11:52 PM
I have a bunch of 4 cavity molds needing storage boxes as well. Please post back to the thread if you find something.

John

Chapped Lips
08-29-2010, 12:46 AM
mtgrs....it's up to MiHec...it's his RCBS clone of 45-270-SAA...4cav...when he runs it & i receive it i will PM ya.
johnly....i'll keep you to date with a Privy msg as well & here also....thanx guys for interest.

casterofboolits
08-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Try this Midway box. It is the same size that Lyman ships thier four cavity moulds in. Cut some cardboard to fit the mould, put a few drops of Sheath on the cardboard or a piece of VPI paper, close the lid and store. Boxes also stack neatly. MTM also makes a box of the same size.

OOOPS!!! That is an MTM box!!!!! DOH!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=987949

Changeling
08-30-2010, 08:16 PM
This is just great, we have to jump around for a plastic box to fit a mold we just bought for over $100.00. That should have come in a descent box like RCBS or even Lymans for half the price!
That just makes me so tickled to know a protective box wasn't worth protecting his workmanship, witch seemed to be excellent by the way!
Now you can supposedly go to Midway and buy a box for practically nothing (2 or 3 bucks or so + 5 or more shipping) that it "might fit", that could have come with the mold at a cost of maybe $0.25 or so to the manufacturer buying in bulk!
Next time you buy (from anyone) a mold be sure and add this to the cost!

Artful
08-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Changeling, why so hung up on plastic?- I have lots of molds that came in pasteboard/cardboard boxes from lyman, RCBS, and Ohaus and NEI - my most current lyman's did come in plastic boxes. My NOE came in cardboard as did my Lee's. I guess I'm more interested in the product than the delivery system.

happy7
08-30-2010, 10:54 PM
There are a number of threads that have been run (very long threads) about different mold storage solutions. A lot of people don't use a seperate box for each mold. I myself made a custom cabinet to house most of my molds.

Changeling
08-31-2010, 02:40 PM
My point is that a mold maker who is proud of his workmanship should supply a tough plastic storage box or at least make it an option. In my opinion most people don't want to store there molds in a cardboard box, or make a custom cabinet. Not knocking one if that is what they desire, but for me, I would rather see the mold makers start being a little more "professional" with there products. If nothing else at least make it an option!!!

a.squibload
08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
The NOEs are the first ones I've thought about protecting in storage.
The rest are steel and not likely to get hurt. Or Lees and not likely to matter!
I usually leave the handles on and pile 'em all in a used shipping bag.
Might make an exception for the fancy ones.

101VooDoo
08-31-2010, 05:47 PM
I use these - Saeco 4-cavities fit with room to spare:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=644113

Couple rust inhibiting chips and bob's your uncle.

Jim

Crash_Corrigan
09-01-2010, 04:07 PM
As regards the cardboard shipping boxes that Mihec's molds uses: I just reinforce the outside edges with duct tape and use them for storage. Works out just great. A little bigger than needed but I have the space.

More to the point is the storage of all my reloading gear, dies, molds, tools and accessories that I have acculumulated over the years. I am going to have to buy some steel shelving units to organize my shooting stuff that I have obtained over the last 17 years since it now occupies 1 1/2 rooms of my 3 room tin trailer.

Between Black Powder, Smokeless Powder, primers, ingots, cast boolits, cases, dies, molds, presses and assorted other shooting related stuff I am getting pretty crowded in here.

My ex and I are considering moving back into together again and I have informed her of my space requiremments and she was shocked. I will actually need more space for my stuff than she needs for her clothing and accessories. We are still in negotiations.

BCall
09-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Anybody know where I can buy a bunch of those rust inhibiting chips? I keep dessicant packs in with my molds now, but pulled one out the other day and it had a touch of powder rust starting on the outside, so my dessicant packs aren't working perfectly. Would like some of them to thrown in there too. All of my others were fine, but would like to prevent the problem. Thanks, Billy

Found some at Midway! Thanks!

frankenfab
09-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I use these - Saeco 4-cavities fit with room to spare:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=644113

Couple rust inhibiting chips and bob's your uncle.

Jim

I have always used those for my Mountian Molds. Does anybody know if an RG-4 will fit in those?