PDA

View Full Version : What was this at my local Good Will.

Changeling
08-28-2010, 02:59 PM
The other day while at my local Good Will store I seen some fancy pitchers and goblets that looked like silver. They were not overly heavy but had a silver type sheen to them and actually looked like silver that needed a good polishing, I realize it probably wasn't silver but what do you guys think it was?

Not much of a description I know!

hoosierlogger
08-28-2010, 03:23 PM
possibly silver plated?

fryboy
08-28-2010, 03:35 PM
fotos !!!!!!!! could be aluminum or pewter or ....pot metal or even zinc

littlejack
08-28-2010, 03:37 PM
+ 1 on silver plate.
Pewter will bend very, very easily. A plate, you can litterally twist it in your hands. Thin pewter can be bent or dented with your thumb.
Do not buy anything that does not have a manufacturers stamp on it with a 93%, 95%, or 97% on it, unless you are sure it is pewter.
Some manufacturers stamps will also say pewter.
Jack

Changeling
08-30-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm starting to it was silver plated something also! It wasn't very heavy and actually looked very nice, not like a cheap something or the other.

Flyboy, I'm working on the camera angle so I can start taking picture. I messed with it about an hour last night and learned how to turn it on and off, LOL.

fryboy
08-30-2010, 09:30 PM
i freely admit that i'm not the best on foto's ...in fact my only camera is a digital fone ( close ups are out as is great foto's ) ...alot of things can hide behind sliver plate ,i gambled once and got lucky on a old silver plate food warmer type thing , 4 massive heavy ornate legs , a big solid copper holder and 4 brass rods with another brass stamping to hold the warmer , the legs were pewter ( or hi tin count alloy anyways ) the rest is cash at the scrap yard ( which isnt bad either ) alot of pewter can and does look like aluminum alloy of some sort ( think glass bottomed tankards ) i've seen thin pewter that didnt want to bend easily and thick that did , perhaps this has to also do with antimony content ? vs. say lead ? i have a cute lil vase ...seems to be spun of steel and lite gauge at that , doesnt bend easy ..certified fine pewter ( cant bear to melt it yet [dratz] doesnt weigh much for it's size at all .. 99 cents at a thrift store ) small creamers and sugar bowls from tea sets seem to be mostly what i find and usually with worn plate , in it's heyday it was as much an art as silversmithing ( and cheaper ) silver turns dark or rather oxidizes black with a blueish tint ( even plate) , plain pewter tends to look like dull silver ( and a lil silver in the mix ought to help in case of ummm were wolfs or summin' lolz ) tin seems to stay brighter longer than the rest [shrugz]

the camera thing will come with more practice ( or in my case breaking down and buying a real camera lolz )

Changeling
08-31-2010, 02:56 PM
You're dead right on the camera, I need to start using it! Thanks for all the other information. I went back there today but it was all gone.

missionary5155
09-04-2010, 06:23 PM
All silver will tarnish... unñess it has be sprayed with protector in which case it will have an oder. I work on pocket watches so I have held many real silver cases...