PDA

View Full Version : CCI: low recoil in 44mag???

44fanatic
08-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Went to the range yesterday with my scoped RSBH Hunter 44mag. First off, I found that I need to spend lots more time at the range but its difficult to do as the nearest range is 40 minutes away.

I didnt have any boolits loaded up nor did I have any other reloads. Been to hot to do any reloading lately so I grabbed the box of 44spc (CCI) I had sitting in the locker and bought a box of rounds on the way to the range. Problem was that they only thing they had on the shelf were CCI's (240grn JHP), hated to buy them as they have the steel/alluminum cases.

44spc had barely any muzzle flip and I could shoot them all day long. The 44mags had a bit more muzzle flip and recoil but not much more, surprised the heck out of me. None of these rounds seemed to compare to either the magtech or remingtion rounds that I have fired nor come anywhere close to the recoil experienced with my handloads.

Wondering if they keep the loads low with the CCI ammo? Anyone have similar experience?

white eagle
08-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I had some factory ammo from HSM that I thought was real weak
I know my handloads are no where near that power level
I think companies just don't load to potential because they don't know what type of firearm their ammo will be used in
Yeah I know I have to drive bout an hour to shoot to i just make sure I have enough ammo to make the trip worth it
have fun:redneck:

Changeling
08-28-2010, 04:14 PM
44fanatic, In regard to a place to shoot.

Talk to some local farmers that have land that would make a good/safe shooting range and offer them 10 or 20 bucks for a days shooting. They would probably let you set up your own on a permanent basis (stand for the targets) witch would make for your own private range in a way. Be courteous and give the farmer a hand or buy his vegetables if he sells any might give you some Great dividends, food for thought. You just might end up with a shooting range and a new friend.

MtGun44
08-28-2010, 09:59 PM
If by "44spc" you mean .44 Special, then that is why. These are loaded to something like
16,000 psi max and .44 mag is more like 35,000 psi. These pressures are from memory and
while they are about correct, they are not exact.

Bill

Mal Paso
08-29-2010, 12:17 AM
44 fanatic
You're Right. Those CCI/Blazer rounds are lightweight and dirty too! The Aluminum Cases make them Not Reloadable. I shot a bunch of them when nothing else was available. It's one of the things that got me reloading. I don't have to put up with that ship anymore. OOPS did I misspell.

Mal Paso
08-29-2010, 12:37 AM
White Eagle
You're Right. Had to look it up, it's been a while since I shot factory ammo. HSM 240g JHP clocked at 1100 fps out of a 4" Redhawk. The other similar 240g loads from that session, Wolf and Magtech, clocked at 1200 fps. But the HSM were the most consistent with a standard deviation of 4 fps among 6 shots! I consider HSM to be decent ammo, if a bit light. The CCI is Junk!

9.3X62AL
08-29-2010, 12:48 AM
1100-1200 FPS with a 240 grain bullet/boolit is a very comfy 44 Magnum load to operate. I load A LOT of my 44 Mag ammo with Lyman #429421 at those velocities for my Redhawk. All-day loads, for sure--and not bad in a Model 29, either.

I have zero experience with the CCI Blazer 44 Mag ammo. I don't care for aluminum cases, period. Or steel. Brass should be made of BRASS.

pricedo
04-14-2012, 10:48 AM
White Eagle
You're Right. Had to look it up, it's been a while since I shot factory ammo. HSM 240g JHP clocked at 1100 fps out of a 4" Redhawk. The other similar 240g loads from that session, Wolf and Magtech, clocked at 1200 fps. But the HSM were the most consistent with a standard deviation of 4 fps among 6 shots! I consider HSM to be decent ammo, if a bit light. The CCI is Junk!

Nice to read good factual posts backed by actual hands on experience with the product. :mrgreen:
Yet you'll read posts "dissing" HSM ammo by people who have never shot a single round of it in their lives.
Same with Rossi rifles......lots of negativity from people who have never held one in their hands.

Bwana
04-14-2012, 11:13 AM
"Wondering if they keep the loads low with the CCI ammo? Anyone have similar experience?"

They make those "weak" rounds because it is cheaper and most people are doing good to know what rounds to buy for their guns. They don't care what they are shooting as long as it goes bang. Or, on the other end, it goes boom. You see them all the time out at the range, giggling and acting silly while shooting. It's disturbing to me; but, that's the way it is.

44man
04-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Every single gun I have ever bought was not shot until I had dies, boolits, bullets, powder and primers except the .44.
There was no brass yet so I had to buy Rem and WW factory loads to get brass.
My very first shot from the .44 in 1956 made me stop and look at the gun to see what blew up! :mrgreen:
From then on it was nothing but grins and I loved the recoil and being able to hit stuff over 400 yards. It has been a love affair since. Hand loads showed what the gun could do and not a single .44 has shot a factory load since then.
When you say HSM or aluminum cases, I have no idea. Do they really sell funny stuff? :castmine:

Wolfer
04-14-2012, 11:36 AM
I think a lot of people who own 44 mags don't care for full house loads so there's probably a market for these. In one of Brian Pierces articles he says the load he shoots the most out of his 44s is a 250 gr Keith @ 900 fps. This is a 45 colt load and is very pleasent to shoot and is far more potent than many people believe. I shoot a lot of 45 colt and 44 special both with 250/255 gr boolits @ 1000 fps and this is really all I want. I've killed several head of game with these loads and don't find them lacking.
I wasn't always old and used to enjoy a good barnburner. I've shot lots of full house 44 mags but for me that ship has sailed.

44man
04-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Wolfer---OH NO, not yet my friend. I am 74 and have fallen in love with the .45-70 Revolver, the .475 and the .500 JRH. I have shot the .500 Linebaugh and the .500 S&W many times.
Your ship has not left port.
Yes, I have seen many .44's for sale with an almost full box of ammo. Look at how many larger calibers are for sale. Guys think they are tough until the first shot. You do not have to be a big tough guy.
You need to shoot proper, hold the gun proper, no "ROLL" allowed with big bores and your age has nothing to do with it.
If any gun hurts you, it is too light, too short or has the wrong grips. A .357 can beat your hand silly.
Did you know a .44 rifle can hurt your shoulder and a 45-70 or .500 can beat you black and blue? You would never shoot a .458 or .460 from a 6# rifle but revolver guys think a 3# gun with a 3" barrel is fine.
Just what is it with short barrels? I start at 7-1/2" for big bore revolvers. Even too short for some calibers.
Why in the world would anyone want a 4" barrel in a .44 mag? It needs faster powders and can not burn slow stuff. It can not shoot heavy boolits.
Pure mechanical problems are ignored by revolver shooters. A .454 is powerful from a 2" barrel, can anyone get real?

subsonic
04-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Why in the world would anyone want a 4" barrel in a .44 mag?

If Elmer was alive, he could give you a good answer.

I'll say I like mine because I can hit 4" plates at 50yds offhand with it, then tuck it into an IWB holster and go to the store. It still has plenty of power, per the chronograph.

But a 7.5" SBH has less recoil, FWIW, and I can shoot it even better. But I can't take it with me as easily.

Shuz
04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
If Elmer was alive, he could give you a good answer.

I'll say I like mine because I can hit 4" plates at 50yds offhand with it, then tuck it into an IWB holster and go to the store. It still has plenty of power, per the chronograph.

But a 7.5" SBH has less recoil, FWIW, and I can shoot it even better. But I can't take it with me as easily.

subsonic--well said!

Mal Paso
04-14-2012, 05:49 PM
4" is a Great Length to carry. Doesn't interfere with work, you only loose 100 fps compared to a 6", and 1500 fps is plenty.

44man is right. I shot a 10" 460 and found it very pleasant to shoot but that barrel is over half way to a carbine!

Maybe when I retire to Texas to hunt deer I'll get something longer than 6".

Frank
04-14-2012, 06:16 PM
What is the best silhouette revolver? The 7.5" Redhawk? Or the 8 3/4" Colt? Nowhere will you see a 4" silhouette gun. Hunters pistol seems the BFR 45/70 would be good. The weight must be less than 4.5 # and barrel less than 10.75 ".

From my shooting I can see the problem with BFR's for silhouette shooting is weight, followed by too heavy of a caliber. Barrel length is good though. But the worst ever must be a big caliber, short barrel and light gun.

Lead Fred
04-14-2012, 07:15 PM
We shoot 300 gr cast from a 6 inch S&W barrel mounted on a RSBH frame.
@1350fps, they are totally controlable.
Then 240s will put ya to sleep.

dnotarianni
04-14-2012, 07:18 PM
If Elmer was alive, .

He would tell you to grow a set!:kidding:

CCI ammo is light compared to other ammo. Might be a liability thing. I am not fond of their primers compared to Winchester. Always seem to get unburned powder with the CCL and lower FPS over the chrony
Dave

BOOM BOOM
04-14-2012, 08:53 PM
HI,
I like 44 MAN got my 1st 44 ,but no dies & brass to be had , so had to start with the Remington.
Later was able to get Winchester ammo. As soon as I could I got dies, lots of brass, & a Lyman Kieth style swc 250 gr. 4 banger mold.
I rarely shoot 44 spl. , never bought any, only the 150 cases I have found on the ground over the years.
Have got to shoot some of the Fed. Am. E. 44 mag. 240 gr. stuff, it is OK. It does not
feel any hotter than my hand loads. the old Remington & Winchester loads may have been hotter. As my hunting loads may be.
Daughter bought me some of the 180 Remington loads a couple of years ago for my birthday, seemed to be good loads, just too light a bullet for my taste.
I like the 265 gr. Ranch Dog mold, but mine actually drops 277 gr. bullets. Seems like a fine all around bullet.:Fire::Fire:

44man
04-15-2012, 10:28 AM
We shoot 300 gr cast from a 6 inch S&W barrel mounted on a RSBH frame.
@1350fps, they are totally controlable.
Then 240s will put ya to sleep.
Now that sounds great, a faster twist, better for the 300 gr.
6" for the barrel is also great but I do not like shorter.
It is not about carry or quick draw, it is about burning all the slow powder and spinning up the boolit. As cases get larger, more barrel is needed. You will find as barrels get shorter a faster start is needed, that means faster powders. Why load a .500 S&W for a 4" barrel with a pinch of fast powder? Fill the case with a slow powder and it just can't burn in the barrel.
I will not gripe much about a .44 in 4" but can a .44 special do the same? But the .454 in a 2" barrel is too strange when a .45 Colt can equal it.
I have heard of guys cutting a BFR 45-70 to 4", NO, NO! It is a big pain with 10" and only likes one powder that can't use the case size. A 45-70 special would be better. When you get to 4", the .45 Colt can be better.
I can't understand the huge case, short barrel syndrome, it does not compute!