PDA

View Full Version : Burrito Invitational 9 - 05 - 06

Buckshot
09-06-2006, 12:11 AM
............I just HAD to post :-)! Poor ole Deputy Al had to go to court, but it was for something he didn't do. I mean not that he was ACCUSED of something and had to go defend himself or anything. Or that he'd NOT done something he was supposed to do. Some other people he knew from his cop days invited him to go to court because he knew some stuff.

Whatever, he wasn't there and too bad to! We shot centerfire and rimfire pistol offhand for score at 25 yards. Irons sights only. I LIKE my K38 Smith a whole bunch so I don't mind shoosting peestols anymore. Plus my Ruger MkII 678 has always been accurate so I've never minded using it.

Before I get to the whoopa$$ part, I took a brand new Rem 581 I'd bought from El Pistolero (a member here) a couple months ago. He said the guy he'd bought it from had fired maybe a box of ammo through it. It looks it and is tight as a drum. Only has the slightest bluing wear on the bolt. I'd fired maybe 20 rounds through it the day I got it.

I took a box of Aguila 60gr SS Super Sniper, PMC Scoremaster Std Vel, and a box of Wolf Match/Target. I only took the Super Sniper's as a chance to shoot a few more of them up. I'd bought 2 bricks a couple years ago and none of my 22 rifles liked it. My Martini will shoot them point on, but they make like a 3-4" group at 50 yards. The CZ sprays them all over as does the Rem 582, with lots going through sideways. An older Western Auto type Savage-Stevens bolt action did the best, shooting them point on at 50 yards into 1-1/2 to 2" groups.

So since the 581 is just a clip fed version of the tube feed 582 I expected it to do the same. Spray'em that is. The 581 has a Bushnell Banner 4X scope, with somewhat coarse crosshairs. The 582 had a Bushnell 3-9x40. So benched at 50 yards the first 3 rounds of the 60 gr Super Snipers went less then 1". Well less :veryconfu. I thought hmmmmmmmm? Three fliers all flying together? I got 2 more sandbags and put them under the buttstock and fired the last 2 in the magazine. They went 1" right and maybe 1/4" apart. Aha, they're starting to open up.

Just to verify, I loaded another mag and fired using the same aimpoint. These 5 went right there with the last 2! Another 5 rounds did the same thing. I now had 12 rounds in 3/4". If I could have deleted 2 wide ones it would have been close to 1/2"! Ye-haw [smilie=w: BTW, the crosshairs are coarse enough to just about cover up the 1" white dot. So the Rem 582 sprays them all over with some going through sideways, and the Rem 581 shoots them EXTREMELY well? Odd things, 22 rifles.

The other guys started to show up so I fired only 5 rounds of the PMC Scoremaster (which NONE of my other 22's like) and they went 3/8". Five of the Wolf Match/Target did a bit worse. I ended up firing 15 of them into maybe 3/4".

So after lunch it was on to the match. It was hot today, going 103 but since the line is covered and we had a bit of a breeze and it wasn't too bad.

So today I shot my personal best peestol score ever. I managed a 94-2X for 10 rounds.That was on a small pistol bull. I don't know how many rounds I have through that pistol since cleaning. I always wipe it off with a silicone impregnated rag before putting it up though. The load was the Lee 358-148 WC cast of pure lead in their 6 cav mould. Then they were tumbled lubed with thinned TL. Powder charge was the typical 2.7grs of Bullseye.

It was spooky as those white holes kept showing up in the middle of the target:bigsmyl2: I just KNEW I'd wake up soon. Glen saw my target as I finished up the first 5 rounds and said, "Screw this. I'm not going to waste my ammo shooting", but he did. I didn't do as well with the 22 as I only shot a 80-2X with it.

El Pistolero brought his brand new CZ 527 in 223. Hadn't even been shot yet. It had barrel sights but he rear one is fixed and moveable in it's dovetail for windage. Really wants a scope. Nice wood and a little short 20" tube. It has a nice single set trigger that makes it real easy to hit with. Unset the trigger is pretty sad. He had been taken with Deputy Al's little Ruger M77 in 223 with it's 20 " bbl, so I suppose this was his reply.

...............Buckshot

PatMarlin
09-06-2006, 01:39 AM
Sounds like an awesome time Rick.. :drinks:

What does it take to start a Burrito shoot? I may have 2 or 3 participants in the area now.

I want to start the official Burrito Division North.. :mrgreen:

wills
09-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Mr. Tunnell;

Be sure to charge a substantial franchise fee and royalties on each match entry fee, to offset your quality control costs. Of course they will only be able to use official Burrito Match Supplies you provide.

9.3X62AL
09-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah, a real fun time in court yesterday morning. I idled around the D.A.'s Office all morning, and by noon they figured out I wouldn't be needed to testify. I pretty much believe that court appearances (or, as in this case, non-appearances) are time out of my life that I won't ever get back. I was able to see a lot of friends from work, so it wasn't all bad--but I did the same thing in Blythe on a dove hunt last Friday, so subpoenas aren't needed for social networking. I remain on call for the rest of this week and into next week for 2 trials that are waiting for courtrooms to vacate. Dove season is day-to-day, in other words. Lovely.

That was some nice shooting, Rick. That K-38 can SHOOT, for sure--and not just in single action, as was borne out by your results in Slughammer's D/A Postal Shoot. That group we mailed would have been admired by Sis and her PPC cronies shooting the M-10's with the truck-axle barrels.

I have concluded that my Model 16-4 x 6" might have at last found a boolit it dislikes, the Lyman #313631. I've tried 3 different powders at 1000-1100 FPS, and none of them are even close to the accuracy I get with RCBS 98 SWC. I'll next try kicking them out a little faster, I have some WC-820 loads still pending test drives.

PatMarlin
09-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Mr. Tunnell;

Be sure to charge a substantial franchise fee and royalties on each match entry fee, to offset your quality control costs. Of course they will only be able to use official Burrito Match Supplies you provide.

Burrito targets, Burrito talley sheets, Burrito safety glasses, Burrito ear plugs, Burrito lunch boxes, Burrito sodas, Burrito beers (after the shoot), Burrito sholder pads, Burrito sand bags, Burrito ammo boxes, Burrito T-shirts, Burrito shoes, Burrito socks?.. nah!, Burrito pants, Burrito jackets, and of course- Burrito Hats.. :mrgreen:

PatMarlin
09-06-2006, 09:54 AM
... oh and Burrito coffee mugs. I (almost) forgot- :roll: :mrgreen:

9.3X62AL
09-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Au contraire, all......the Burrito Shoot is the antithesis of commerciality, and about the ONLY consistent element in the fray is target commonality--so FORGET licensing and trademarking. Even if such trade agreements could be forged, the profits generated would go into cheap supermarket beer and surplus powder acquisitions. Giving lucre to the Rules Committee would be like providing whiskey and car keys to teenage boys, to borrow from P.J. O'Rourke.

PatMarlin
09-06-2006, 10:07 AM
OK use play money.. :mrgreen:

357maximum
09-06-2006, 10:14 AM
BUCKSHOT

The more you shoot that rem 581 the more you gonna like her pilgrim. I have 2 of em they will both digest ANYTHING I feed them really accurately. One likes super duper velocity stuff, and the other likes slower stuff, but they both shoot better than me, unless they are on bags of course. The slow loving gun will put ten rounds of rem subsonics in one little hole the size of the O on your keyboard at 25yds, and into a one hole smaller than a 44 gas check at 50 yards and all under a dime at 100 yards. Truly awesome little guns, and their only issue is that plastic clip, buy a spare,,sooner or later you will need it. I have two old steel clips from the older 500 series rem bolt 22's that are going to get the exterior mag catch treatment some day, just have not gotten to it yet. There are 5 and ten rounders available for your 581, and it is the same clip/mag used on the nylon series clip fed..."nylon77" I think..

sooner or later you will need a new mag for it...

Michael

9.3X62AL
09-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Same story with my M-581 I got from the same source--it's a tackdriver. The magazines ARE NOT cheep when found--so snag 'em if ya find 'em.

woody1
09-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Same story with my M-581 I got from the same source--it's a tackdriver. The magazines ARE NOT cheep when found--so snag 'em if ya find 'em.
And don't bust the cheezya$$ magazine latch like I did! I've yet to find one and a spring maker I'm not. Otherwise, if ever you get a chance to snag one, do it. Like the other guys say, 581's are dandy rifles. Regards, Woody

Buckshot
09-07-2006, 02:50 AM
............I did get 2 magazines with it and went looking for a couple more. All I could find were the plastic ones. Surely they originally came with steel ones, didn't they?

357 maximum, you mean the steel clips from the 510/513 series will work with a latch mod to the magazine? That'd be the hot ticket. I can see the plastic ones wearing our on any kind of ground squirrel strafing safari. That's the one good thing about the 582's tube mag.

Last year when Deputy Al and I went rat blasting in Cedarville, CA the action was fast enough that I got the barrel nice and warm. The weather was low overcast, cool and breezy with intermitant sprinkles, so warming up a 22RF bbl says something.

Speaking of nice 22's, I forgot to mention that Larry one of the other Burrito shooters just got a new Savage 22RF varmint type with the heavy bbl. Piller bedded in a plastic stock with a real nice set of Redfield reciever sights and a tunnel insert type front, and it has their Accu-Trigger. Pretty nice piece of shooting equipment.

.............Pat, back during the Shooters.Com days a bunch down in Texas started the Armadillo Cup. They had 5-6 guys usually but only shot once a month. What's important is to just get together and SHOOT! Our normal routine is centerfire rifle, cast lead, iron sights for 10 rounds at 50 yards offhand. But we mix it up from time to time like rifle/pistol, pistol only, muzzle loaders, centerfire and rimfire rifle or pistol.

We've had a couple benchrest matches with both scopes and irons but they're few and far between. We've shot targets with cards and best hand wins, but that's just chance because you can't see what the cards are as they're too far away. We've also shot at the regular targets but reversed the ring value, so the outside 5 ring becomes the 10, etc. We've also turned targets around so the blank side shows and that's tough as there is no reference.

I also welded up some swingers for 22's and light centerfire handguns and those are lots of fun too. The shooting is fun and the reason we get together, but probably the best part is the BSing during lunch and afterwords. Many has been the time we've sat there atthe table for an hour just jawing.

Everyone in my family knows, you don't plan anything for Tuesdays before 5 o'clock, if you expect me to be there :-)

..................Buckshot

PatMarlin
09-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Well after the first of the year I'm gonna do it!

National Burrito Shooters of North CAL.. :mrgreen:

NBS

357maximum
09-07-2006, 09:33 PM
"357 maximum, you mean the steel clips from the 510/513 series will work with a latch mod to the magazine? That'd be the hot ticket. I can see the plastic ones wearing our on any kind of ground squirrel strafing safari. That's the one good thing about the 582's tube mag" //buckshot//

Yes that is what I mean.. If you take the 513 mag in your left hand and the 581 in your right,,,I KNOW YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN>>I just have not got to it yet... It will be done,,sometime..

drinks
09-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Actually, I can envision a "Burrito Hat", an O.D. boonie hat, ala Mash, with the tasteful addition of a pair of ears stolen from some kid's stuffed rabbit, a Bugs Bunny would be a good fit.
This would add the finishing touch of sartorial elegance I would expect of the bunch. ;D

HORNET
09-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Geez, Buckshot,
From all of Deputy Al's complaining in the competition section prior to the NCBS, I thought that the purpose of the shoots was for you to relieve Deputy Al of any stray lunch money that he had about his person, thereby helping enforce his diet and making Marie happier..:kidding:

9.3X62AL
09-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Hornet--

Yeah, I could get an extra taco or two if I didn't have to DONATE prize money every week to the kitty. :-) Once in a great while--when the other guys have really bad days and I have an exceptionally good day--I win back a small portion of the donation pool. This happens 2-3 times a year, and I live for that--which says volumes about both my offhand skills and my lifestyle elements.