PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting these

azcruiser
08-28-2010, 06:10 AM
I'm going to be kind of home bond for few weeks? and looking for something to past the time with thinking of getting these has anyone restored these ? Nepalese Martini Rifle System Set (Francotte & Ganhendra): Untouched
[NB1878SET] $450.00 $350.00 from IMA USA
this is the cheapest loaded ammo for them that I have found kind of pricey but from looking seems the empty brass is almost as much
.577/450 Martini-Henry, 480GR Solid Lead Bullet. 10rd Box
[5-1785b]

Price: $49.50 J&G sales
or would I be better off getting one of the British Enfields or one of the British P-1864 Snider type Breech Loading Infantry Rifle with Short Socket Bayonet: Untouched

Any input is welcome

curator
08-28-2010, 09:45 AM
AZcuriser,
Both the Gehendra and Francotte martinis have their draw-backs, not the least being many made with poor metalurgy/craftmanship. If you want a shooting martini spring for one of the "unmarked" Mk11 rifles. They are actually English made and probably have lower collector value that the others they are selling. Gads custom cartridges sells refomed 24 ga. brass shells made into 577/450 brass that work fine for reduced loads and black powder.

Beekeeper
08-28-2010, 11:30 PM
I have the Gahendra and the Snider short rifle.
I like the Snider better than the Gahendra.
The Gahendras need a lot of stock work as there is a lot of oil rot and blood rust amage.
The snider barrel on the one I have is pristine and after doing the rebuild ( you need to check every thing for clearences) it is to me a better weapon.
The Gahendra barrel is almost impossible to slug and is somewhat of a quandry as to (is it safe to shoot)
Mine slugs true from the muzzle for about 10 inches, then the slug drops for about 2 inches, get tight again for 2 or 3 inches, and drops again until it is about 1 inch above the chamber.
Have found no data as to what it is supposed to look like.
Have not found any bulging of the barrel in either place (have miked it to test) and believe it was made that way.
It is 5 lands and5 groove and that makes it hard to measire and especially hard after it does its drop trick and starts the land and groove over again.

Hope this helps in some way.
Either one you buy it is a trip to work on something that old.

Jim