PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new(used) contender frame - this one works well

Ohio Rusty
08-27-2010, 10:53 PM
I was perplexed as to why my other frame refused any other barrels. The obvious solution was to get another frame. I did find a decent frame, paid the average going price plus the FFL's shipping fee, and had it shipped to me. I did query the owner about how it worked, opened, locking bolt types on his barrel, etc. (Learning what to ask now)

The frame arrived yesterday. It is an older frame also, serial #78912, has the trigger guard pin at the front of the frame, selector under the back of the hammer. Same frame as the other, just a newer model. I 'unstuck' the .357 barrel with the split bolts from my older frame, and put the barrel on the newer frame I got yesterday. This one works just fine. barrel locks in place well, and it opoens !!!! I bet I opened the gun 10 times as I couldn't beleive this one worked after fighting with the other. Put the wood forearm on the gun and now I have one complete gun. This one is for the wife.

Now it's my turn .... Both of the other barrels I own have the solid locking bolts. The quest is to find a pair of split bolts and replace them, then I need to find another frame and forearm to go with the hunting barrels I bought. That will solve the gun dilemma. As for my other older model .44 that won't accept any other barrels .... It will stay as a one piece gun, and will be relegated to shooting .44 specials - wadcutters as a target practice pistol and stay that way.

I did alot of reading and research into the issues I was having, and asked alot of questions. I realy appreciate all the help I received from the list members here online and off list. A big thank you to all of you for sharing your knowledge with me. I have discovered you aren't going to know if all the pieces will work until you actually own them and put them all together for a test run. Maybe my first experience with the Contender was an anomoly, but it was a quick education as to the ins, outs, and problems that can happen.

So ....one down ..one to go !!. There is a BIG flea market in two weeks at Johnstown Ohio and there is lots of gun stuff there that weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a good frame and some other shooting goodies that needs a good home and wants to come home with me .......
Ohio Rusty ><>

HeavyMetal
08-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Sounds like your on the way Rusty.

Now I did put the three solid locking bolts in the mail to you the other day, figured you needed them bad!

When they arrive if you don't want or need them just send them back to me and we're good to go.

I have a delivery comfirmation number if you want it I'll PM it to you!

EDG
09-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Rusty
TC will send you a set of split replacement bolts for each of your barrel if you ask. That makes a lot of difference for easy opening.