PDA

View Full Version : Tight MiHec Cramer HP pins

mtgrs737
08-27-2010, 10:48 PM
I got my second MiHec Cramer style mold the other day and when I assembled the pins I found that they where very tight. The first Brass MiHec brass HP mould that I got from him was not that tight. This mould is a 41 cal. double cavity and both pins are the same. I have not tried to cast with it yet, will they loosen up with use? Will the brass expand when hot enough so that the pin will slide easily during use? Has anyone else had a problem with these moulds? Some will say give it a try, but I don't want to damage it, as I would have to press on the sliding pin part pretty hard to get them to move out to release the boolit.

8mm
08-28-2010, 06:47 AM
I have noticed this with two of my new molds also. I suspect that the problem will go away when the mold is brought up to temperature. Hopefully a natural "break in" process of the tight steel to brass interface will take place with usage. I plan to cast some boolits next week and will post my results.

parrott1969
08-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Mihec says to spin the pin in the mold and it should loosen up. I sanded mine with 600 grit sand paper and that did the trick. Hope it helps.

GabbyM
08-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Had one like that IIRC I unscrewed the pins from the post and retightened them while set inside the block. Also had to stone some of the pins around where the clip grove is. All in all just a bit of polishing.

RP
08-28-2010, 11:12 AM
One of mine was just alittle sticky I backed it off just a touch and ran the mould worked fine for me. One thing is if you watch the video on casting with a cramer style mould the spruce plate is away form the handle. I run mine with the strike part of the plate towards the handles just a slight tap moving it maybe a 1/4 inch cuts spruce and moves very little on blocks. Which I feel is better in the long run and is alot faster when casting. Then turn mould over just a push on the pins and boolits just drop off.

buck1
08-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Mine were very tight also but loosened up with use.....Buck

white eagle
08-28-2010, 02:15 PM
sometimes when you hold tight tolerances in machining parts do stick and don't move freely
but after time they will be just what the doctor ordered

101VooDoo
08-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Had one like that IIRC I unscrewed the pins from the post and retightened them while set inside the block.

This worked for me on two moulds, plus a little of Miha's lube on the pins (the pieces inside the block). No issues since.

Jim

redneckdan
08-28-2010, 03:44 PM
i received my mould today. the pins were tight i mine too. i worked it for a couple hours while casting and then applied bullshop lube. They slide under their own weight now. probably just tool marks in the machine surfaces.

mtgrs737
08-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys! This is why I love this forum, lots of folks with experiance to pass on so I might not have the learn things the hard way!